SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ebgbjo

Updating or eliminating entry closet; wasted space- Advice needed

ebgbjo
last year
last modified: last year

Hello, everyone. We have this split foyer home that we are finally getting more serious about updating since buying it a couple of years ago. One of my most hated things about it is the foyer with its TALL and LONG entry closet.

If coming down the stairs to our foyer/entry, the closet begins as soon as you hit the THIRD step going down (behind the wall to the right of the steps) meaning most of the closet space is on the other side of the wall going down the stairway and NOT accessible unless you move EVERYTHING out of the way at the entry of closet doors. The TOP of the closet is a massive dust collector, finished out with the lovely (sarcasm) 90s honey oak wood. I have currently removed the doors that were on the closet as they were bi-fold doors and when opened, while putting things into the closet, a person would be standing directly in front of the front door of the house, too.

At top of the stairs and at top of the closet, in the photo, you will see wooden banister/rails that also are the same as what is currently in the divide for the stairs going down. We will be removing the railing at top of stairs/top of the closet, and changing that to a false wall/pony wall. The railings in middle of the stairway will be changed out for a more updated/modern look using metal.

I am looking for ideas on updating this wasteful closet, either to include just simple updates that keep it or removing it completely with ideas on how to handle what would then have opened space on the OTHER side of the stairs (which would be the right-hand side if going DOWN the steps).

I have tried doing a search on this site as well as pinterest, google, etc, but could not find any images of even a similar layout in any homes, let alone split foyers.

The closet itself is 8' 1" wide by 8' 4" tall, with door being 4' 1'" wide by 5' 10" tall, and 29" deep.

Any advice, ideas, tips, etc would be so very much appreciated.

Thank you! :D

* Photo was from listing when we purchased the home; furniture, light fixture, and valance are no longer present.

Added additional photos; ignore mess as we have currently started painting, removing some of the railing, oak trim, closet doors, etc and now trying to determine hat route we actually want to go. Carpet on steps DEFINITELY needs to go.

Thank you.

Comments (41)