SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleash

Privacy glass door for city condo backdoor replacement

eleash
last year

Hi friends,

I'm embarking on a major remodel of my San Francisco condo. It is a 2-unit 130 year old Victorian buildling, so I have decades of odd patches, additions, and shoddy repairs to smooth out. The 'HOA' is just myself and the one other unit upstairs, so I'm not constrained by rigid HOA rules about exterior doors. I can mostly do whatever I want.

My back door is right next to my bathroom, since this place was built before indoor plumbing and the bathroom was added to the back of the building, super common here. Right now, the backdoor is solid on the bottom and has a big window on the top. It opens out onto the back stairs, and if the folks upstairs are walking down the backstairs they can't help but looking straight into my place, including the bathroom if the door isn't closed. So our eyes can meet in the mirror if I'm drying my hair and they walk down the stairs take their garbage out, etc. I have a white cafe curtain on the current door window for privacy. The backstair case structure shelters the view from any other neighbors seeing in. In terms of my view out of the door window all I see in the upper stairs coming down, I can't see my garden from that angle, so I'm not missing out on a pretty view.

New Door: I think I want one that is mostly glass, one big window pane, as this is a dark corner. But for privacy I'm thinking some type of pebbled glass, rain glass, etc. Has anyone done this? Am I bonkers?

Comments (4)