FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_478243012

Anybody have any before and after photos of their rose garden?

FWF Zone 6
2 months ago

Or any garden? I'm desperate for inspiration.

Comments (41)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 months ago

Beautiful. I had a great collection as I mainly take pictures for Archival purposes, but lost them all when my phone was hacked. Love seeing that prigression, dianela.

FWF Zone 6 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Related Discussions

Pruning roses, anyone have before & after photos?

Q

Comments (14)
    hoovb, thank you for the links. The pruning pictures are great and I love to see things like this. More importantly, thank you for the website. It's wonderful, I just lost myself in your photos for the longest time. Such beauty! Thank you for sharing it. :)
    ...See More

Florist roses, before and after

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi, The cuttings were actually pretty simple. I would buy a bouquet of roses from costco- 2 dozen for about 17 dollars. I would take about seven or eight roses and clip the flowers off so that I would have a stem with two sets of leaves. Then, make vertical slits in the bottom of the stem with a sharp razor (making sure to penetrate completely through the stem) and then dipping it into rooting hormone powder. I would then take potting soil that had been watered with water and superthrive, poke holes into the soil and gently place the stems in so that the rooting hormone would not rub off. This would go into a clear plastic bag sealed with a rubber band and on a window with not too much sun.. I could usually tell if they were going to survive after about a week by looking at the leaves. If they started to turn yellow, then it was usually a goner.. My success rate with this is usually about 40 percent which is why it's important to do as many cuttings as you can. I don't think that florist roses are more difficult to root than any other, I believe it has to do with the freshness of the flower. When you purchase roses in the US they are usually shipped here from south america so they are not exactly fresh by the time you get them home. It's a good idea when you buy them to make sure that the leaves look good because that is a very good indicator. One of the things I like about doing it from florist roses is the amount of time they last on the bush and in a vase. Even though they have no scent, they are still gorgeous to look at:) Maude P.S. I'm not sure if using superthrive makes any difference whatsoever, but since I have it, I use it.
    ...See More

If you like Before and After photos; Look Here

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you for looking and commenting. Mantis, this knee is just about like my own. I am not at all limited with it, which is a blessing. Kate the rain has been a mixed blessing here, how about with you? My lavender hated it. I usually try to have a good sized fan blowing on me when it is as hot and humid as today, Kate. I was short an extension cord but it reached my bench so I took breaks to drink water and cool off. I also managed to plant a Confederate Jasmine plant and a butterfly bush; (buddleia) a nice dark purple one. There is still so much to do, but I love to work in the garden so that isn't bad. Sherry, truer words were never spoken. kay
    ...See More

Oh, no no, roses! We are NOT having any rust in my garden.

Q

Comments (19)
    It's helpful to know I'm in good company! I've never seen anything like this rust outbreak in my garden. And nothing will move a rose out of my garden faster than Cheeto leaves! My RdR is mature, maybe close to 15 years in my garden. It's one of the first roses I planted and has always been super clean, but now it's super icky. I hope I managed to strip all the fungus. At least rust is a helpful shade of neon orange. Hard to miss! I even found some speckles on Tradescant and The Prince as well as Tamora! The weirdest discovery is what I DIDN'T find: rust on Abraham Darby. He rusted earlier (as always), and I stripped the infected leaves as the fungus presented itself. But now, smack in the middle of the big epidemic, AD only has his usual defoliating blackspot. Really?! Locals drive around with bumper stickers that say "Keep Portland Weird." My garden is sure doing its part. Carol
    ...See More
  • mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

May 2017 pic taken after most of the brush and three or four very large Roses of Sharon were taken out. The brush in here was so thick even the dogs couldn't really walk in it. There was alot of staghorn sumac and many other bush types. Couldn't really decide what to do with it. The bed is very deep so we knew we needed to leave areas blank to have access to maintain whatever we put in. Eventually also cut down the tree off to the right (out of the frame). We had been cutting things out of this bed for several years to try and bring it under control. I wasn't 100% sure roses would work in here so we added just a few the first year.

Turned out the roses loved this bed. So the next year we added a few more, then a few more. None last year. We consider the bed full. Not everything is a mature size and we didn't want to over crowd it. Also if anything dies we will just replace in the same hole. We've already done that for a number of roses that didn't work out.

Photo from our downstairs window June 2022.

Photo from the upstairs window June 2022.

We went from what was an out of control thicket to one of the areas we enjoy the most about our yard.

FWF Zone 6 thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

Diane, I love your transformation!!!

• FWF Zone 6
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Diane. What an improvement. Did you have any help? If I was driving by, I'd want to stop and stare! Have people done that?

mmmm12COzone5, what a gorgeous space you've created there. It sounds like you did it on your own which can be extremely exhausting especially without machinery. You are smart to allow such space for your roses. Some of mine are going to be cramped but I'll deal with that when the time comes and then decide which must go if any.

• mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Kit, We can't claim to have done it on our own. We had gardeners who occasionally came with young men. We always sent the young men to take out things that died. Once all the big Rose of Sharons died it was looking pretty scraggly. In the end we had professional tree trimmers out to remove the tree and the bigger sumacs. We also had some men with pick axs to pull out the bush stumps. It probably took 3-4 years to clear that bed and a number of truck loads of debris. We did it in stages because we didn't really have a plan for the bed.

FWF Zone 6 thanked mmmm12COzone5
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    2 months ago

We moved here a little over two years ago ( how time flies! )

day we closed on house

the following year

this spring ( sorry got out of order )

following year

not long ago ( forgive the eyesore next door )

when i am lackign inspiration i find that instagram has a lot ( maybe too much )

FWF Zone 6 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

Lilyfinch, Wow! That is amazing. I can hardly believe you got so much fantastic growth in that period of time. And your design is wonderful!!!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    2 months ago

Thank you ! my design is really how can i cram every rose ive ever loved in under a 9000 sq ft lot 🤣

FWF Zone 6 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

I didn’t take any before pictyres but I do have

a few they used to sell the house. I don’t have rose gardens per se, I have gardens with roses in them

FWF Zone 6 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

Here are the afters, everything gets lost from far away :(

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 months ago

Beautiful, oursteelers!

2 months ago

Love the naturalistic setting.

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    2 months ago

This is going to be a fun thread! I love seeing before and after photos of rose gardens. Every gardener has their own unique set of challenges and to see the evolution over the years is really inspiring.

Mmm your rose bed is so pretty! The roses definitely are happy in that location. The views from your window are beautiful as well.

Lilyfinch: You have done so much since you moved to your new home. I really enjoy following your garden transformation. I remember your first photo at your new house like it was yesterday! I also remember when you were excited to take out the grass by the sidewalk to make another rose bed haha! Your garden is very sweet. I love your statues, fountains, lighting and all the whimsical touches.

Dianela: What a change from the before picture! Your flower beds are stunning.

I absolutely LOVE your front porch and climbing rose. Looks like a peaceful place to relax and take in the views.

Outsteelers: Looks like you have so much space and maybe a lot of shady areas due to your large trees. Do you have hydrangeas? The wishing well fits perfectly in your wooded property! Reminds me of a scene from Snow White. Love everything!

FWF Zone 6 thanked Lala Idaho Zone 7a
  • mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

Oursteelers, your yard if fantastic! Looks like a wooded paradise. How big is it?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

Yes I have a ton of shade, lots of hydrangeas! If you include the other side of the fence(which I do) we have about an acre. Most plants have to survive in less than optimum circumstances due to the trees and their roots

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 months ago

Oh my gosh you have a little mini-you! 😍 Lol. @Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    2 months ago

Here are some before and after photos of my TINY yard.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

I really hated the junipers and the arbovite. Once that was removed the house looked so much larger

FWF Zone 6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 months ago

I LOVE GARDENERS! These are all wonderful before and afters. What a difference! I am delighted by the way each garden is unique and filled with the spirit of the gardener who tends it. Carol

FWF Zone 6 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

I hope more people are able to respond-this really is interesting to see all the changes!

• FWF Zone 6
    Original Author
    2 months ago

mmmm12COzone5,

Having help is wonderful and it is a must for most people with trees to remove. My aching back and sore fingernails make me wish we had rented a mechanical digger but, like you, I didn't have a complete plan in my mind so I did things slowly. Do you have a list of roses you planted? Perhaps you've shown them in a different forum you could share?

Lilyfinch,

That's an impressive amount of work in two years. In addition to creating a cheerful whimsical garden you've somehow made the space look bigger too. I can relate to wanting to cram as much as I can. You've done it in a cohesive way. I struggle with this. By the way, I have a similar flower wreath on my front door. Your arbor and sign on it is adorable as well. I think arbors look great all year especially in places with cold winters where few things look good except ornamental grasses and evergreens. Do you know what the tree is at the house corner? I get nervous with trees so close to the house however I do like the framing it gives. What are the pink roses you are growing on the trellises by the window? PS Like Mischievous Magpie said, it is a blonde mini you.:)

oursteelers 8B PNW,

What a nice difference. It was so gloomy and empty before. Now it's peaceful and inviting especially with the stepping stone path to the arbors. Like Lala said, like a scene from a fairytale. Slopes can be challenging to work with too. What is that beautiful rose doing so well despite possibly challenging conditions?

Lala,

It looks like you turned an austere desert into a relaxing oasis. Well done. What a beautiful home with beautiful garden touches everywhere now. Is that Eden climbing rose? Whatever it is, I like the choice.

Kristine,

Although I really like junipers I like what you've put there instead. And the great color change and wood added to your house is really pleasing and eye popping now. Did you change the windows for larger one? Such a great facelift on the whole house. Great work! And oh my gosh the roses! So much better IMHO!

Portlandrosemystery,

I agree! The gardener's personality almost always reveals itself somewhere at least. It's so interesting and inspiring.

• mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

Kit, I labeled them in this picture. Hopefully the labels show up.

This is the bed in May 2019 with all the rose cages on the roses so the rabbits don't eat them. You can see why I was so thrilled with the lack of winter die back this year.

Left side of bed - May 1 2019. This was before we learned to not cut the dead out of the roses until Mother's day.

Right side of bed May 1 2019.

The desolate look of the above beds inspired me to make the rose labels in May 2020.

These are the beds in May 28 2020. This has about a month's growth on them and a year later than the above photos. Also we may have started to learn our lesson about pruning later. You can see how nice Pretty Lady Rose and Amiga Mia are doing. I vowed to find more like them.

May 28 2020. Look at my darling, Winnipeg Parks. 1 yr old and she is already sporting her early blooms. The large rose in the front is Golden Wings. We ended up taking it out in 2021 as it was getting too large.

• mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

Kristine, Your new yard is fabulous!!! That gives me great inspiration for our next place. What a difference you have made. It looks fantastic.

Lala, Yours looks wonderful! And a very clever use of the space down near the fence. Gorgeous all around!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 months ago

I’m really enjoying seeing the transformations. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

You can see my before and after photos on this thread: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5714121/virtual-tour-of-my-garden. The ”after” photos are a few years old now now, so of course there have been some changes, but mostly the same.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

I wish it wasn’t so hard to type long comments on my phone-everyone has done such interesting things! Kristine your house improvements really are nice.

The rose is Desdemona and she gets about three hours of sun plus fights big leaf maple tree roots-such a trooper.

Lavender Crush is also down there and STRUGGLES

2 months ago

Mine and a friends also struggle.

• dianela7bnorthal
    2 months ago

@Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thank you very much. i am so sorry to hear You lost all your pictures.

@FWF Zone 6 thank you. I did it all with help from my husband and my dad. It took us 4 years because it is spread over 2 acres (I have several beds not shown in my pictures. After the first couple of years we actually got a small tractor that helped to make digging a lot easier. We also have a yard car that we used to spray all the roses when I was spraying. I do not leave in an area where gardening services are commonplace, plus for me working in the yard was therapy. I have had lots of people just stop by and ask for garden tours and even had some one say he was very proud to see what we had done with the place (we bought it as a foreclosure and it is from 1938)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 months ago

Dianela, I absolutely love the charm of your home

It is so welcoming

2 acreas that is a ton of work

But you guys have really turned that 2 acres in to a paradise

• FWF Zone 6
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Paul Barden,

Are you the rose breeder? Your name sounded familiar so I looked on Rogue Valley Roses and saw it there. So many beautiful roses. Can you recommend an alternative petal-packed fragrant rose especially one you bred since you would know the rose extremely well? I thought I read somewhere that one day David Austin decided to stop spraying and that whatever roses that survived he kept breeding and got rid of the others but I guess that is different than proactively breeding against blackspot. David Austin's Olivia has been super healthy for me. I just wish she had a strong fragrance.

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw, Same for me. I've only had Olivia since last year. She's washed out white in hot sun but the perfect color in cooler temperatures I think. I couldn't resist the blooms of Abe. I will give my Abes some time while blended/concealed with other flowers around them. I've actually seen some of Straw Chicago's posts before and found them uniquely helpful. That's how I first heard about biochar for Princess Charlene de Monaco. I wish she wrote a book where I could easily find out information on a particular rose. I guess I need to do some more digging. Straw, if you happen to read this, thank you for all the experiments and experience you've shared online.

Diane, OMG yes that is the ideal in my mind. What's it like to just stand there and sniff? It looks much bigger than three feet. Maybe it's the angle but I'm a terrible judge of height unless I'm literally standing right next to whatever is being measured. Maybe you ended up with the perfect size after all the way it punctuates the porch railing. Btw, I like the buttery cream color of your home and ornate molding on the windows too. The combination with all those roses carefully positioned in front is charming.

mmmm12COzone5,

How nice to see all the rose names in the photo. I will be furiously researching all of these names to learn more and which might make their way into my garden. Also the stakes with labels you made are adorable.What a great place holder and reminder for what is to come. Especially when there is little to look at in winter or when plants are young and puny. I wish I was so artistic about doing mine. In addition to being blah, in one years time some of mine are already unreadable! How did you do yours? 'Winnipeg Parks' is such a curious name I had to look it up and the first picture I clicked on in Help Me Find is... your photo! Covered with single stem blooms spaced out perfectly on a round bushy plant. It reminds me a bit of Traviata which I've seen at a local nursery although the former might be more upright. I'm not a big fan of red though. It just makes me feel hotter in the dog days of summer to see the color red... I searched online and noticed there is a deep pink version of Traviata... I might have to get one. There's ALWAYS space for one more rose. Isn't there? Well, at least for a new rose grower like me despite my aching back saying, "please, no more digging and amending!" I need your restraint!

Noseometer, I think you've created a very sophisticated relaxing garden in harmony with your climate. I enjoy the evergreens you've included too. Was the stone retaining wall already there when you moved in? Your photos of roses helped me make decisions on which roses to get. I got four scentuous roses because of your photos as well as Boscobel, DeeLish, and Abe. I think we have similar tastes in ideal roses but very different climates.

oursteelers 8B PNW, I really dislike doing much on my cell phone except listening to podcasts with a bluetooth earbud mostly while I garden. Typing takes me forever because I didn't grow up with one like many from the newer generations did. I use the speech to text function a lot but it's just not the same as a full size keyboard. It looks like Desdemona is a trooper. I planted one bare root Desdeomona this spring. It was big... with big roots and thick canes but the new growth has been so skinny. Mine gets morning sun then dappled to about 1pm. She flowered just fine and fragrant but the canes are so thin I'm surprised they can support the flowers. Is this normal?

dianela7bnorthal, I'm impressed that it only took 4 years with so much land even with machinery. There is so much thinking and deciding to do. Not to mention all the changes one does, well for me anyway... I'm often pulling out plants and moving them around like musical chairs. I agree that gardening can be extremely therapeutic.The craziness of the world is a million miles away when I am in the garden enjoying something that is growing well or a hummingbird zipping over to a plant I selected and painstakingly planted. Roses in particular just amaze me with the way they can pump out those giant blooms over and over. Sort of like the way a deer can regrow an entire set of antlers every year. It's almost unbelievable.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley, I'm sorry that you were hacked and lost your photos. I have an external drive where I store all my photos and videos. In the past I used thumb drives but I was always losing them plus some had such slow transfer speed. Last year I purchased a four terabyte external drive which is more memory I'll probably ever need. Easy to use and fast. I put flower and hummingbird stickers on it to remind me what the strange black boxy thing is. If you've got any photo of your garden at all to share I would really like to see it.

• mmmm12COzone5
    2 months ago

Hi Kit,

The labels were an experiment gone right. I bought the slate labels and stakes from Amazon and then the names are vinyl decals from Etsy. They were $1 each from a little girl in Texas. I think the slate plates and stakes were about $3.50 each. The vinyl labels are rub on and they have lasted through two winters and the hot summers with no degradation so I am very impressed with them.

My favorites are:

Winnipeg Parks is a hot deep pink. I love that she needs no trimming in the spring and is naturally a good shape. Great bloomer. First in the spring and is frozen in the fall with loads of blooms. Every rose grower needs a Winnipeg Parks like rose in their life. It sets the standard for what all other roses should be.

This is her when no one else was blooming.

Iceberg is also a good shape with no real die back from the winter. She blooms alot and the pure white flowers are lovely.

Easy on the Eyes is not as good of a natural shape but has not had die back in it's two years so I like it quite a bit. To me the flowers are spectacular. Blooms well enough that she makes the favorites list.

Amiga Mia has been cane hardy for me and a good bloomer. I love the smell of her flowers. She wafts and perfumes the whole garden in the spring so I am enamored with her. To me she seems to be a continuous bloomer. I can only remember one time she paused during a super hot summer. Her big pink flowers are usually the ones people comment on when visiting the rose garden.

Pretty Lady Rose has great smelling flowers and usually has no or minimal die back. She blooms in flushes. She was the one I wanted all other rose bushes to be like before I got Winnipeg Parks. Her best pictures are yet to come as she just started blooming.

Candy Land is a delightful climber. She is the only one that I've had great success with.

All of the above are cane hardy for me and don't wilt in the heat.

I'm also a fan of Parade Day since I like the striped roses and Calico Gal because of her big flouncy blooms. They were both cane hardy this year but alot of my roses were when they weren't in previous years. Might be that they are getting established or we had an easier year for roses.

Parade Day. Just starting her flush.

Calico Gal.

For the aching back have you tried the spearhead spade? It was recommended here on this forum a few years back and I got two sizes for my husband. He bah humbugged them and said he liked his shovels and would never use them. Now these are the ones he reaches for and we have gotten rid of most other shovels.

https://spearheadspade.com/ You can buy them on Amazon also.

2 months ago

Oursteelers, you have made such a lovely garden. I would love to stroll in it.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 months ago

@FWF Zone 6 my Desdemona’s canes have gotten thicker and stronger over time-a lot of Austins seem to need time in my yard to really shine

• dianela7bnorthal
    2 months ago

@mmmm12COzone5 thank you!

I love what you have done with the garden. I absolutely love your white fence and everything in your pictures.

2 months ago

@FWF Zone 6 - I hope you are happy with your rose choices. I do love those that you chose. The fragrance of Scentuous is particularly nice, not just the strength but the rich quality. I hope they all do well for you. Yes, the walls were there when we moved in. They are just textured cinderblock, unfortunately not real stone.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    last month

I enjoy all the before and after shots. Every garden is a result of devotion and love.

I will be a little bias here as I remember Lilyfinch and Lala gardens from a few years back. I just love the transformations. I was never worried about Lilyfinch since she had acres of roses before and had perfected the art of rose growing hands down.

However I have to admit, it was a big challenge for Lala. I remember when Lala asked what she should do about the garden and some of us were worried about roses not able to grow due to potential water problem. Wow, look at it now.

All you make growing roses looks so easy but we all know it is hard work.

last month

I remember Lala's 1st post as well and thought the same thing About how well she has brought it to fruition.

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    last month

Yeah the drainage was terrible, but I amended the soil and hand water when needed. So far so good. I think the biggest challenge is going to be keeping the climbing roses trained right on the fence so they dont get to wide. This is only the second summer with them so time will tell when they mature. I need to maintain a decent walking space to tend to them between the boulder retaining wall and the roses on the fence.

• FWF Zone 6
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

@mmmm12COzone5, Oh that is so helpful and makes me want to redo my labels just like yours. Thank you for the close up of the roses too.

I'm not familiar with spearhead spades.. After years of using a regular shovel, I only recently learned about a trenching shovel which I almost exclusively use now. It's great but I often have to stomp really hard on it to get it through our heavy clay soil. That spearhead spade looks like it could make digging even easier, thanks for suggesting it.

@Lala Idaho Zone 7a, I would never have known you had drainage issues if others and you hadn't mentioned it. I'm still dealing with that where I live. It really creates a challenge in gardening doesn't it. In case you didn't see my comment earlier I wanted to ask you which climbing rose you chose to grow.

@noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque), I'm very happy with the roses even though I've only had them planted this spring 2022. For whatever reasons, Scentuos has been the most generous with flowers and scent so far of the bare roots I planted.

Most roses aren't in flower right now but here's a few pics from earlier.

Boscobel from a potted 3 gal purchased locally:

From another angle showing a little example of drainage problem in the window well

Dee-Lish bareroot:

Scentuous bareroot (on the right):

Close up

• Lala Idaho Zone 7a
    25 days ago

@FWF Zone 6

I have the following climbing roses:

pretty in pink eden

Eden (2)

pearly gates (2)

white eden

florentina (2)

I try to be contentious not to overcwater them. A fault of mine and with poor drainage I need to be careful. Little by little keep adding good stuff to the soil.