FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
daisyjc2000

Artwork dilemma

daisyjc2000
20 days ago
last modified: 20 days ago

Hi all! I am back! :) This time, I am looking for some advice on a beautiful canvas print I just recently purchased. The artwork that I am referring to is the canvas to the left of the door. I did not originally plan to add any artwork in that space, but I'm testing it out for right now. For reference, I've also included a photo of what the space looks like without the artwork. My questions for you are:

1. Does the canvas compliment the room and add texture to it?

2. Does the canvas seem too large and out of place?

3. If the artwork does not work, would you recommend anything else? If not, does the space look best without artwork on that wall?

One last thing... before it's suggested, I have considered placing the canvas above the fireplace. Unfortunately, we cannot block the TV or take it down at this time. Thank you, so much, for your help!

Comments (74)

• shirlpp
    16 days ago

I agree with @Ruth. The darker tv and darker fireplace looks fine with all of the lighter pieces in the room. When you cover up the tv, it takes away from the room - not enough contrast.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thank you Ruth and Shirlpp! I appreciate the honest responses :)

• Kim Bettencourt
    15 days ago

Here’s a completely different option that doesn’t involve the artwork at all. It appears that you might have some molding on the wall in the dining room. What about carrying some wainscot molding into that one room as well. It doesn’t have to be the traditional stuff. You can update it, cottage it or make it formal. Anything goes! That would add texture to not only that one wall to the left of the door but also to the whole room which is already absolutely beautiful. And then find another home for the beautiful art piece. It’s a very nice piece but if you put it in the foyer, it looks very similar to the ones that are in the sitting room behind the French doors. Maybe you could find a place for it upstairs. On a landing perhaps.

daisyjc2000 thanked Kim Bettencourt
  • Gayle Wooten
    15 days ago

Leave the wall bare. Agree with the general consensus that the canvas is too large for the space. You have enough going on in the room and it looks fantastic without the canvas.

• RedRyder
    15 days ago

The art piece is too big for each space you’ve tried it in. The mirror doesn’t work either. I agree with those who suggest getting a refund, leaving the wall blank and waiting to find something more perfect. The house is stunning and that wall does not necessarily need anything. Give yourself breathing room to search art fairs, stores and yard sales for the absolute perfect piece. And carry the correct measurements with you.

I love your house!

• Jeanie Wise
    15 days ago

The room would look better with three smaller vertically placed art pieces. Or maybe something long and thin that has texture.

• Judy
    15 days ago

This room is ready for a bold statement and could handle a beautiful colorful piece of original art or a print .check out instagram samsoriginalart or j.baslyart as examples of what I mean and hang it anywhere.Art should never ”match” a room but stand on its own for its beauty ! Give this setting some life 👀

• Barbara Nygaard
    15 days ago

I Can’t See In Your Pictures What Is On The Wall On Top Of The Stairs ! Is The Wall Large Enough For Your Picture? I Also Love Your House But I Also Think Sometimes We Over Do It By Trying To Cover All Our Walls With Art Work !

• Dennis Peterson
    15 days ago

My opinion is to not place anything in that space. When viewing the living area from the kitchen area, it looks cluttered. Some empty wall space gives relief.

• willozwisp
    15 days ago

Could it go to the right or left of the firepalce where, for symmetry, you have those three overlapped prints? Hard to tell the dimensions from the photo of it on the mantle. You like the piece on its own?

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Hi all! i have to say that I’m completely blown away and quite thankful for your wonderful suggestions and guidance. This community of fellow design enthusiasts is a blessing to be a part of! Thank you! For now, I’ve decided to keep the wall art on the living room wall. It just makes me happy there. I’ve added some prints on the wall opposite of the white mirror, to reflect in that mirror. I have to say, I love it! Now, I just need to figure out what to do with this foyer/entryway. I’m thinking a corner hall tree? I’ve included some styles of hall trees I like. I’d just have to get it custom made to fit the corner and have it built-in to my space. Thoughts?

• shirlpp
    15 days ago

Those opened hall trees tend to look messy.

• Janice Tener
    15 days ago

I like the one that fits into the corner. It should look like a built-in, not something you just placed there. About your dilemma with your artwork, I like how you decided to do what makes YOU happy and not what others like! Also, I like your mirror placed where you have it. I always like how you can check yourself before leaving home or before answering a door. Good luck with your new project!

• shirlpp
    15 days ago

@daisyjc2000 - Please tell me the name of the paint color in your home. It's lovely.

• kooulton
    15 days ago

Can't help but wonder about the arched "mousehole" opening in the base of the door next to the picture....is it a kitty door, or what?

• Christine Botti
    15 days ago

I totally agree about putting colorful art , you need color badly it’s too blan even pillows will help! Don’t get me wrong I love everything just need the pop!!!

• Aphaea
    15 days ago

No hall tree! You need nothing other than maybe (maybe) a tallish plant like a Boston fern on a sleek, simple pedestal or a palm. It will visually connect to the plant on table you can see. Something like this or these? (I suggest a Boston fern because of your lovely cat. (Who also matches the colors and style of your home, LOL.) Other than one of those, nothing. You have it done almost perfectly now. More will definitely not be better because what you have will be set off when you give it "breathing space." (And If those three pillows on the floor are yours, get rid of them. They look ridiculous.)

• settimia
    15 days ago

Very sophisticated taste. Use caution though. IMHO time to edit rather than add. Mirror seems to compete rather than enhance. The large art, rather than add to the overall ambiance challenges the harmony you’ve achieved.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thank you everyone! I am not getting rid of the white mirror. Removing that was not part of my original question. I like it there and will continue to appreciate having the mirror there. Thanks!

• sealedesign
    14 days ago

This is the white, oak/gold and black theme that is so popular now. More black in areas would add focal points.

daisyjc2000 thanked sealedesign
  • willozwisp
    14 days ago

Ahhhh the colors all match the beautiful cat you showed on the stairway. Loverly...and soothing.

• new03mom
    14 days ago

The hall trees make the foyer feel like a mudroom. A console with small cubes underneath and a small lamp, and a piece of art seems the appropriate scale. I was going to add get a small gilded mirror for above the console if removing the long white mirror down the hall on the stair wall, but you’re not willing to do that, so no mirror in foyer. The new art definitely looks better on the stair wall where the white mirror is.

• Kay P
    13 days ago

I agree with settimia

• chachawoman
    13 days ago

I’d love to see some real plants in your lovely space. They add a freshness, color, texture.

• Kiki Hall
    13 days ago

I love it just where it is.  It's a statement piece. I have a huge piece right next to my front door that one wouldn't expect but it works perfectly there.   I have to remember that things on a wall do not have to line up like little soldiers.  I also remind my hubby this when hanging prints.  We have a lot of original art in our house so sizes, mats and frame material don't match either but it works perfectly.

daisyjc2000 thanked Kiki Hall
  • daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Thank you Kiki! Oddly enough, the canvas does not look jarring at all in person. However, somehow, in the photos, the angles make the painting look gigantic, creating an unharmonious balance. When viewing the painting and room as a whole, in person, it looks stunning. It’s a shame that the camera is not capturing that. Still, regardless of what the camera says, the painting just makes me happy in the family room and seems to complete it :)

• marylut
    13 days ago

And that is the whole point of home decorating, nice job!

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

So basically you had your answers all along. You just wanted folks to agree? This is one of the reasons that I don't post dilemmas, because no one knows what I want - better than me!

You asked:

1. Does the canvas compliment the room and add texture to it?

2. Does the canvas seem too large and out of place?

3. If the artwork does not work, would you recommend anything else? If not, does the space look best without artwork on that wall?

Above you said:

When viewing the painting and room as a whole, in person, it looks stunning. It’s a shame that the camera is not capturing that. Still, regardless of what the camera says, the painting just makes me happy in the family room and seems to complete it :)

Cool!!!

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Shirlp—I wasn’t really sure what I wanted. After seeing it in other places around the home, the artwork just grew on me. This was not intentional at all. I apologize for causing any frustration and I greatly appreciate everyone’s suggestions! Who knows, I may decide to change it again :)

• shirlpp
    13 days ago

I understand!

Who knows, I may decide to change it again :)

ha, ha....I truly understand.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Here is the final outcome for the canvas and entryway :) I’ll have to find either a flat extension cord for the lamp cord in the entryway or place a floor lantern in front of the cord to hide it.

• Margie Kieper
    12 days ago
    1. Without. 2) Beige and white overload looks uncomfortable and not normal.
  • daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Margie Kieper - not normal? That comment is not helpful at all.

• new03mom
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

These look great! You rocked it! Love the cubes under the large canvas you originally posted about.

daisyjc2000 thanked new03mom
  • Kay P
    12 days ago

Where did the hall table come from? Looks great…your whole house is gorgeous

• marylut
    12 days ago

A white pot with snake plant on floor to hide the outlet at the entry console?

• Christine Botti
    11 days ago

I have an idea that you are afraid of color, try it you might be surprised, color makes a person smile and have that little warm feel !

• Stacey
    11 days ago

Your home is stunning! It feels and looks so welcoming and relaxing. Enjoy!

• Timi M
    11 days ago

Very zen like quality to your lovely space. I’d just add some live plants to add depth and contrast.

daisyjc2000 thanked Timi M
  • daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments! I will catch up on answering some of your questions tomorrow :)

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Kay P: I actually purchased the table from Homegoods years ago. In my last home, I had it placed on the landing at the top of our stairs. We most recently had this table in a niche in our master bedroom. On a hunch, I brought it downstairs into the foyer. While I'm not in love with the console (not the best quality), it will do for now. Hopefully I can find a better quality console in the near future.

Kooulton - Yes! That is a kitty door for my cat :) Her litter box is located in our basement, away from our living areas.

Shirlpp - The paint is by Benjamin Moore in the color Palace White.

• Laurie Daresta
    9 days ago

Your spaces are gorgeous. At first I thought it was a little busy, but the more I look at it, the better it is. You have a real talent. And if it makes you happy then it’s perfect.

daisyjc2000 thanked Laurie Daresta
  • Timi M
    9 days ago

I see your brick fireplace is painted. Nice. My husband loves exposed brick and will not allow me to paint our fireplaces, so I have to incorporate the brick color into my decorating scheme. BTW, the two cubes under your large print work perfectly.

daisyjc2000 thanked Timi M
  • daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Timi-We purchased the home this way. I would've had a difficult time painting brick as well, so I understand your husband’s hesitation. However, for effect, here is a before and after of our family room. The fireplace was one of the many reasons we purchased our beautiful home.

• Timi M
    9 days ago

Nice to see the before and after transformation! Love your soft wall color, too.

• Denise Marchand
    7 days ago

At first I thought it looked forced and too large for the space, but seeing your room and style, I changed my mind! It's a lovely room and the art is perfect. Actually the scale of the art helps balance the scale of the furniture. Good job!

The only thing I would change just a little is the three pieces art on either side of the fireplace as it just matches too perfectly. It would be nice to see some difference offsetting the symmetry of the layout.

• PRO
    Griffins
    5 days ago

Is that really the same room? My gosh, you are talented! Everything that you have done seems perfect to me; your instincts are great! Thanks for sharing your home.

• marylut
    5 days ago

thanks for inviting us Houzzers along on your process of creating this lovely serene room, the transformation is amazing…enjoy!

• Teena
    20 hours ago

Don’t change a thing! You nailed it! I grew up loving the 70’s vibe of creams, macramé‘s, crocheted clothing, and raw linen. I love your home!!