SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oren_izenberg90

Induction and pan size

Oren Izenberg
last year

We are renovating a kitchen and hoping to switch from gas to induction. I’m having a hard time finding information about what it is like to cook with pans significantly larger then the hob size. Strangely, salespeople seem completely clueless about this issue, and there is not much discussion of it online except to note that there are rules of thumb (pans should be no more than 1” larger than hob diameter). But I’d like to know from users who are serious cooks: how big an issue is this?

We regularly use 14 inch pans: real 14”, straight sides, so not flared our from a smaller bottom. Occasionally I’ll use a canner that’s even bigger. How big an issue is the difference between coil size and pan size? Obviously, gas flames don’t extend to the edges of these pans either; is the temperature differential between center and edge greater for induction than it is for gas?

I’d prefer not to have to spend the premium on something like the Thermador Freedom, but I’m concerned that the default with induction simply seems to be to use smaller pans. Thanks for any first hand advice!

Comments (12)