SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylvia_funk

Canine dementia...........

lily316
last year

I decided to ask this question here rather than on a dog or dachshund forum because feelings sometimes cloud judgment. Background: I have had about 18 cats over the decades and four dogs and am now facing a serious problem with one of the dogs. All my pets are/were rescues except the first dog which my MIL bought, an Afghan Hound who lived to age 14 . The second one was a rescued greyhound right off the track in Connecticut. She died at 9 of bone cancer. Fourteen years ago this week I found Ziggy, a black and white Boston Terrier mix on Petfinder. He will turn 15 in a few months and this date is known. The dachshund, Wally was found in a kill shelter in WVA with his age estimated at 5. Nothing else was known and I suspect he was a stud for a backyard breeder because he was very handsome and show-ready. We adopted him over 12 years ago making him about 17. Suddenly in this past year, both dogs began to go blind and deaf at about the same time. Neither can hear at all nor see. Ziggy is sad and confused but Wally is the problem. He is getting vicious and barks constantly which he hardly ever did. He runs over and attacks his bed , barks, and lunges at inanimate objects and creates a chaotic atmosphere in the house. The three cats get along with both dogs but now they are beginning to be affected and Ziggy is downright scared of him now. For the dozen years we have had him, he has never made a mess in the house. Now it's whenever he feels like it. I tramped in poop in the kitchen and last night as I was chopping veggies he walked over and peed on the rug I was standing on even though he had just been outside. The sad thing is both dogs are physically healthy. They have walked thousands of miles in their lives and Ziggy walked 3 and 1/2 miles the other day around town. He was always my trail buddy until last winter when he became confused off-leash. Neither dog has ever seen the vet except for their wellness check every year. That will be at the end of the month and I am considering euthanasia for Wally. I think his quality of life is nil with his infirmities, and I think it would really help my other dog to not have to deal with his out-of-control lunging at things . Your thoughts?

Comments (23)