SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720679265

2022-2024 MY FAVORITE OLD GARDEN ROSES

KittyNYz6
last year
last modified: 17 days ago

Happy Spring-Summer to all you Old Garden Rose Lovers! (And winter-fall to other rosie friends around the globe!) Ok, it’s still spring June 8, 2022 for me in Geneva, NY!

I started loving and purchasing OGRs last summer 2021 August and really acquired most of my favorites this spring 2022. I have 8 OGRs. I have about 120 total roses, but finally I am branching out to enjoy OGRs!

Love to see your favorites photos this 2022 and the new 2023 coming season of your OGR on this thread.

Is it a Centifolia, China, HP, Damask Hybrid Perpetual, Bourbon, or other variety, from your gardens, especially. photos & mention why you love them?

My Old Garden Rose Favorites of 2022 are shown 1st….and I’ll add new roses as I order… and 2023 coming soon…….

Reine des Violettes, HP, (gorgeous violet frills!) Purchase from Antique Rose Emporium-The real deal!

Madame Dubost, Bourbon, (Intense fragrance-deep fushia, English appearance

La Reine

Clotilde Soupert

Benny Lopez

I ordered Jacque Cartier & Ardoisee de Lyon & planted them in August, , but no blooms in 2022.

Now 2023, JC is getting ready to bloom. Ardoisee de Lyon bloomed…. photos on thread starting in 2023 spring….. down the thread below….

Comments (403)

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I’m also done ordering from HR. i ordered quite a bit in 2022, mainly to get Spirit of Freedom and then got the other 2 roses for free shipment, but one rose died, Beverly is the surviving rose beside Spirit of Freedom.

i think some of these nurseries have to be careful, if not people will not order from them. i already decided not to order from Raintree Nursery for fruit trees, what used to be $20-30 a tree is now $99 a tree. it seems like a rip off to me.

i finally found a source of roses that are cheaper than Regan nursery and i would order from Regan again too.

I'm glad to report my Comte de Chambord is finally putting out a new shoot, yay, i didnt kill it.

KittyNYz6 thanked SoCalGardenNut
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Yolanda de Aragon, 2nd flush! Woohoo!

• Related Discussions

Want to see your favorite Old Garden Roses

Q

Comments (39)
    'Souvenir de Victor Landeau' is a long-caned Bourbon like 'Mme Isaac Pereire' and 'Deuil de Dr. Reynaud' and has similar blooms, but it doesn't seem as though it will have quite the same habit. If you recall Vintage Gardens' illustrations for Bourbons, SdVL is #4, while the other two I mentioned are #3 (see link at end of post). Another difference I noticed is that even in NJ and without using fungicides, SdVL gets little (if any) noticeable blackspot until well into Autumn. Mine came as a band from Vintage Gardens in Spring 2012, and was finally planted in the garden in Summer 2013. It didn't bloom until its second year (2013), and when it did, it had two flushes in late Spring, paused during the heat of Summer, and had another couple of flushes from late August onward. August 2012 -- four months after coming as a band, potted in a 2-gal container. No blooms yet, but ntice how clean the leaves are. Leafing out April 2013. First blooms late May 2013 (the next wave were more fully double). Mid June 2013 -- second wave of blooms is on its way (note the buds), and perfect foliage. Mid September 2013 -- planted, not blooming, but still has relatively clean foliage. SdVL is the big sprawling thing just to the right of center (note the white tag at its base). April 2014 -- leafed out, SdVL is the sprawling rose in the center of the right-half of the pic. Early and Late May 2014 -- getting ready to bloom, SdVL spreads almost the entire width of these pics. Late May 2014 -- buds forming. First opening bloom, May 29, 2014. Two days later... June 2, 2014 -- first wave of first flush (if you look closely, you'll see lots more unopened buds). I have another long-caned Bourbon, more in the MIP and DdDR style. My original MIP died, and Linda at Long Ago Roses recommended 'Mme de Sevigne' as a possible alternative. I planted the small band last year, and this year it bloomed for the first time. It's also growing like gangbusters. This pic is from June 2, 2014 -- note the thick canes. The tallest of these is now about 4' in height. It's much more upright than SdVL (well, SdVL starts shooting canes up, but they eventually start to lean under their own weight). While blackspot season has begun in my garden, it's interesting to note that MdS has none (so far...), while several others are beginning to drop lots of their lower leaves. :-) ~Christopher Here is a link that might be useful: Bourbons at Vintage Gardens
    ...See More

New roses in your garden & old favorites?

Q

Comments (48)
    Sam: That's the best bush-shot of Alnwick rose. so many blooms. How do you like the scent? I'm going keep my eyes opened for outdoor-wood-burner at Craig's list. My neighbor has a small open one (a circular one with feet) which he got at garage sale, and he got lots of wood-ash from that small fire-pit. But that has to be stored inside a garage, 2 neighbors had to trash their metal-fire-pits, since they got rusty in the rain. There's a picnic area with a public fireplace nearby, will have to check if there's wood ash inside that fireplace. We go past that park when I go to the Spice House to get spices. I've just spent 1 hour drilling hundreds of holes on my plastic pots ... roots need air to grow big. Can't find the fast-draining pine-based potting soil, so I just have to cope with slower-draining MG-moisture control (sold cheap at Sam's club $!1 for a HUGE BAG twice the size at Walmart). Jude the Obscure is an old favorite, 2 own-root Jude died on my zone 5a winter, so I try 2 more own-roots this year, but will winterize them inside my garage ... I'm addicted to Jude's scent. The pink ones are Annie L. McDowell rose (thornless):
    ...See More

My Little Rose Garden - Spring 2022 Tour

Q

Comments (29)
    Your roses, flowers garden structures, and garden beds are extraordinary. Your videography is extraordinary. I will point out for others that I lived in Tallahassee 40-years ago. It is a challenging area in which to grow roses because of the high risk of fungal diseases which makes Hoang's results truly impressive, and greatly appreciated from this distance.
    ...See More

My Rose Garden 2022 Year3

Q

Comments (57)
    I’m so ready for my peonies to bloom!!! Their season is short but I would not be without them! @kate it was a very warm winter, I have already pruned in February and starting to fertilize now with plant tone. I tend to over fertilize so please don’t listen to me 🤪🤪. I have my schedule saved somewhere but I basically do plant tone and fish fertilizer now, once they are leafed out I start with spray liquid fertilizer (kelp+ maxsea) or something like that whenever I have a chance (every week or 2weeks) If the rose struggled last year I would probably add a slow release fertilizer now too…. This year I will add neem oil and jacks captain to my sprayer to see if I can get thrips under control
    ...See More
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    8 months ago

SoCalGardenNut, You & I have so much to care for in our gardens! Good to take a rest from ordering. I am so glad Comte de Chambord is growing! I can’t wait to see photos of blooms! Conte is special & I hope he ever blooms!

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

Haha @Kitty, ordering roses in the winter time gives me something to look forward to, same with peonies and fruit trees, we’re gardeners are eternally optimistic, heck, it‘s very cheap therapy, I go to bed always tired and happy, when i get up in the morning, I'm always happy to see my plants. What more can I ask out of life, lol lol.

• ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
    8 months ago

Kitty, I'm fascinated by roses like Yolande d'Aragon, which I never would have considered for my hot and dry location, where I used to grow mainly teas, Chinas and small Bourbons. However, I now have Grandmother's Hat, which is a HP, and it seems very happy in the heat. What I love about the old roses is the variety of leaves, flowers and growth habit which gives them their unique charm. Some of the modern roses have really beautiful flowers but the whole package is very similar to the rose next to it and the one next to that. I know I'm being a bit unfair in that generalization, but for what it's worth the antique roses have my heart, and what better reason to grow them?

Edited: How could I forget fragrance, and there again the moderns have that too, but still........

KittyNYz6 thanked ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
  • berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Carol - My Reine des Violettes came with no root system ! I've never received a rose in that condition before so it's likely growing much slower than normal. This is it's second year; it's still pretty small, maybe a foot and a half tall after the last roses were trimmed down. It puts out around a dozen blooms and then takes a rest. What makes it most worth growing is no thorns or prickles, no nothing but beautiful dark pink/purple flowers. I have it planted by the hose reel - it does get bonked on occasion but is safe for me and the neighbors to hose around by it.

Kitty - I was really distressed over Amara's teeth, her fangs were getting brown at the gum line. Dental problems lead to all kinds of health problems and can affect their heart. Our old dog had to have teeth pulled, it was a terrible ordeal.

Someone suggested getting Amara an antler chew; it works great to remove plaque and now she won't have to get a dental cleaning.

https://www.buckboneorganics.com/collections/deer-antler/products/premium-deer-antler-chews-1-lb-bag

KittyNYz6 thanked berrypiez6b
  • SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

At least RVR still keep the same prices and they are in Oregon. i like to buy from nurseries in California, so far i had very good luck with Huntington Library rose sale. I tend to over buy when things are cheap, so when they raise prices i know I dont have to buy anything, however i really like to look at online catalog. years ago, i like to look at seed catalog every year.

Anyway, i did more digging today and it looks like i may need to move my favorite reliable bloomer, Violet’s Pride, it has buds, but if i dont move this rose, i cant dig and remove more of the palm roots, the heatwave is coming.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 months ago

Couldn't you wait until Fall, So Cal? This is a bad time to move a favorite.

KittyNYz6 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

Thanks @Sheila, i just moved Heirloom and I put it in the shade, it seems to do fine, I need to dig all the bad roots out, it drives me nuts not doing anything, maybe i’ll try again tomorrow. It does concern me.

Edit to add, well maybe not, i will dig around this rose for now. My husband said next Sunday will be cooler, in the mid 80s, so I’ll wait until then.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

GardenNut - good to hear that your Comte de Chambord is still alive. :) :) Mine is building larger buds right now. I love your philosophy. Gardening makes us all happy. What more can we want from life. :) :)

Kitty - ooooh...what a beautiful Yolande d'Aragon!!! What is the fragrance like so far?

Ingrid - yeah, OGRs have the market on charm, that's for sure. :) :)

Berrypie - No root system? Poor thing. It's got a big job growing new roots and trying to thrive. No wonder it's still small. No thorns or prickles...safe for kids, dogs and those trying to grab the hose. :) :)

Berrypie and Kitty - I've always been afraid that antlers will break my dogs' teeth. Have you had any problems like that?

KittyNYz6 thanked rosecanadian
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Carol, Thank you! Yolanda d’ Aragon rose, dated at 1843, bred by Jean Pierre, is a wonderful breathtakingly strong old rose fragrance of raspberry violets. She has a first flush & repeats. Her blooms will be big & voluptous! She has been called a Damask Perpetual, Hybrid Perpetual, & Portland…. having roots in these categories. I call her an HP. her history is marvelous! Read about Yolande d’ Aragon , born a princess of the small state of Aragon, married Louix II of Anjou, she became a committed supporter of the French royal family w w/ 5 children. Her son Charles became heir to the French throne. She supported Joannof Arc to fight against the English, so Charles became King of France.

She quelled many squabbles in the French aristocracy as a wonderful diplomat. It’s understandable to give her nsme to a very outstanding rose!

SolCalGardenNut, Your deseite to clear out the roots is wonderful! Very good that you are waiting until it’s cooler. And the opportunity to buy roses at the Huntington sounds wonderful! I would stick-up, too! However, for me now… I only hunt out very unique roses as I should not add many more. I fin’r mind whete I get it from if I find the perfect rose now.,

Ingrid , Our love for old garden roses is certainly worthy! Grandmothers Hat dounds truly wonderful-glad she enjoys your sunshine! Their intense fragrance is unmatched in my garden of 140 roses! Their unmatched natural voluptous beauty breathtakiing! Their history-Oh, My My-live it! Their names are intriging! Simply subline!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

rosecanadian you're right , I forgot about that possibility the antler could break our dog's teeth, especially old Zephyr might be more inclined. Weighing it out , Amara's gums were always inflamed , I know that can be a dangerous condition. She happily chews her antlers and it keeps her gums healthy so it's worth the risk for now. Just thinking of the sound she makes chewing is euphoric to me too. No wonder I'm building her an antler collection.

The OGRs do hold an undeniable attraction, we all know what reading about them leads to.

I've come to the conclusion I'm moody. Thankful for what is growing and for it's health, there's something still missing in the garden. The dinosaur is still sitting on a shelf , today is his big day to go out . I'll gratefully count my flower blessings, and do a little more seed shopping...

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

Today i removed boat loads of big roots again, however i didnt have to touch Violet’s Pride, but i think it‘s a good thing I’m doing this, i can see it improves my growing area and that means I can grow more things.

Once I’m done wth this area then i know what OGR roses i can order. Right now i think this soil even chokes my 2 newly added Japanese roses and they are planted very far away from the palm tree.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kitty - I loved reading your comments on Yolande d'Aragon!! Having OGRs really involves a bit of history each time you look at a bloom.

Berrypie - And being a Staffy, I think that Amara has stronger jaws and teeth than a Standard Poodle would have. Awwww...I love how much you love Amara. :) :) Our dogs are so special to us. :) Something is missing in your garden...seed shopping is definitely called for. I'm also searching for more seeds. :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@berrypiez6b

Antlers sound like a great iidea! I will keep that in mind for Anastasia. Seed shopping… sounds like a great idea! Let us know what you decide? I love your carnations! ….. I need some flowers in my new flower bed for August…. Hmmmmm maybe seed shopping for me, too? What flowers shall I grow? You could reply in the new summer thread….?

@rosecanadian

, I love reading about history of the OGRs!

I could get lost in reading about the English, French, and Spanish crowns, conquests, and their families!

OGRs History:

I am thinking sonetime of having a thread complete with history & photos of each of my OGRs. It is just sooooo interesting.

Yolande of Aragon, lived first in NE Spain (Aragon) & united this Aragon state with the state of Anjou in France. Later, after her marriage to Louis II she became Queen of Sicily, Naples & Jeruselem. She was so actively involved in politics and helping Charles Vii to become King, that her name is even in many documents with Charles VII in the 1400s. She was nearly a coruler in influence with Charles. In addition, Yolande de Aragon also raised her granddaughter, Margaret , and taught her political maneuvering, who married King Henry Vi of England, who became insane at times. Margaret ruled for Henry at these times. Margaret was a principal figure in the War of the Rose. Thence we have the:

White Rose of York, Rosa Alba

&

The Red Rose of Lancaster

The Apothecary Rose (Rosa Gallica Officinalis)

When the War of Roses ended Henry united both houses, he combined the red & white roses later to become: the Red/White Tutor rose emblem. There is no Tutor rose in our plant world, that represents this emblem some say., but maybe it’s time to name one? The Tutor Emblem rose has a red outline & white inside-which rose shall we name for it? I knda like to think of Rosa Mundi being red (pink) & white & a sport of the Apothecary Rose as if it came from the red & white roses.

If I had a gardener to care for my roses & more yard space I’d add these historic roses, too!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    8 months ago

SoCalGardenNut,

Wow, you’re doing a lot of work! Digging up roots! It’s wonderful to now have more ground soace for your roses! Then adding more roees? Oh, My! How will you ever care for them? 160+ here it come! It is heavenly, all our roses! What a joy, though!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Kitty, reading about Yolande de Aragon reminded me of the book " Pink Ladies and Crimson Gents " , did you ever happen to run across it ? I discovered it at the library , the book became a favorite I must revisit..

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

La Reine made the most quintessential OGR with a button eye that I have ever seen , I love her so much. There's almost too much to love; I'm sure someone said La Reine stays small but this one is almost keeping up with Madame Anisette for height.

And now I do believe she has a baby sucker a distance away , I wasn't prepared for that.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Berry,

Pink Ladies & C Gents sounds like a wonderful book! And your La Reine really sounds heavenly! In the ground she sounds like she’s doing exceptionally well!

I have La Reine in a pot & she’s smaller than yours. However, next weekend I think I’ll add new soil & fish fertilizer. Maybe I will transplant her next summer in my back yard oval bed and transplant Louise Odier , from a pot, there, too. They both could get big then…

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Kitty- I have you and Sheila to thank for nudging me toward grabbing LaReine at Heirlooms, its becoming a top favorite.

Your Ladies would be glamorous together.

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

Kitty - I'd love to read more...maybe twice/week do a history of one of your OGRs. :) :) That was really interesting! I already knew a lot about her from my daughter (another history buff, like you). In fact, she got me a Tudor Rose Christmas ornament. It's velvet with the two roses. Maybe this Christmas I'll take a picture of it and post it. Plus I have a really cool puzzle about the Tudor Rose...and I bought her one too. :) :) Look at this! This only shows part of the puzzle.

Berrypie - oh, wow!!! I checked it out on Amazon (Canadian) and found they only had 1 copy so I bought it. Going to be a birthday present for myself (eventually lol)!!! Thanks so much for the idea!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Carol, I love your puzzel and I’d love to see your Tudor ornament. I’m not really a history buff, but I love history related to England, France, Spain, Scotland, and more …. about the Kings, Queens, And our OGR’ history! That book sounds really amazing! You will really enjoy that book! Happy Birthday, Carol!

Berry, Ok, I had to order that book from Amazon in US, , ”Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents.” My birthday present, 2 days late, Ha, ha! I’m 29 years old, again! July birthday!

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Haaappy Birthday both of you !!

I would like the book myself but even more the roses - have fun reading about them.

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

No, no :) :) my birthday is in November. I just bought it early since there was only 1 book left. :)

Kitty - oh, happy birthday!!! Let me know what you think of the book. :) I hope you had a wonderful birthday. :) :)

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

rosecanadian my neighbor Koko parties the week before and is still partying a month after her birthday. It takes weeks to schedule all the family and friends begging for time to treat her to lunch , dinner , the casino, travel ... I told her next she will be stretching out celebrating all year until her birthday again - not a bad idea.

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

What a beautiful cake!

Happy Birthday Kitty!

My La Reine has more flowers than i‘ve ever seen. 3x1 hole, the other 2 roses are taking a break.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you, Carol, Berry and SoCalGardenN. It was a pleasant birthday. I celebrated w/ Salmon dinner and Chocolate Mouse pie-some of my fav w/ my ladies I care for. My kids call me-very sweet! I will really enjoy that book and my new hydrangea & ROS tree-my birthday presents!

SoCalGardenN, How many blooms are on your La Reine?

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Berrypie - I have NEVER seen such a BEAUTIFUL cake!!! Holy cow!! Oh, and I think that at least one scabiosa seed has grown into a plant!! I'll post a picture here for you to see the plant (hasn't flowered yet)...the leaves look a lot like my scabiosa that's blooming now. :)

Kitty - chocolate mousse pie...oh that sounds to die for!!!

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Salmon sounds so good - think I will open a can of salmon for dinner to share with Amara. On a hot day a sandwich with icy lettuce is about my favorite. As long as Amara gets a taste of what I have on top of her kibbles, she's satisfied.

My La Reine from Heirloom Roses is an aggressive grower ! At this rate by next year she's going to get claustrophobic in her small space between Carding Mill and Abe Darby. Especially now that La Reine had a baby, somebody has to move.

The three overgrown Cosmos will be pulled out a few weeks from now . I need to find a source for cow manure to beef up the dirt for planting new roses in Spring.

There is $ 10 reward waiting on my account with Heirloom . I am already birthday shopping, although mine is December. It's a tough decision between Madame Isaac and M Dubost.

Kitty , do you remember which is the thornier of the two ?

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Berry, I think they both have a few thorns, not unusually that many. don’t even notice their thorns. The photos by HR are good respresenting Mme Dubost & Mme Isaac Pereire. Mme Dubost can get 5ft and Mme Isaac P can climb 8ft, their height may be of interest to you? With Mme Isaac Pereire you may eventually have more blooms with a taller rose, another consideration. Both amazing fragrances & beautiful voluptuous blooms!

Salmon sandwiches sounds yummy! Amara should be very happy! Anastasia loves salmon, too!

How tall is your La Reine? How many blooms? I think I have to plant her in the ground next spring to see max growth & blooms! Your Ka Reine sounds sensational!

Carol, Thank you! It was a yummy birthday!

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question about the Madames , I appreciate it greatly.

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

Kitty, here is my Le Reine, it has 4-5 flowers so far.

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Berrypie - yes, our dogs get a taste of what we have too. I tend not to cook with onions and garlic for that reason. :) :) Ohh...Kitty's M. Dubost is gorgeous...maybe you should get that? Here's the picture of what I think is a scabiosa from your seeds. What do you think?

GardenNut - my, those are bright pinks!! Love them!!

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Kitty- La Reine is far better than I hoped . It's interesting to see her undergo her shape shifting and color changing , totally charming - I take that back, her thorns are not charming. I can put up with that flaw in her character , possessing so many positive attributes.

Mine was newly planted in Spring, there have been a handful of blooms. None are open presently , there are green buds gaining strength. La Reine is approaching 4 feet I think. I should measure the height tomorrow. The baby sucker is even growing fast ! I really love the plants i receive from Heirloom Roses, all have been exceptional.

Carol - it thrills me to know your Fama White seed traveled all that distance to grow in your yard ! You might get a bunch of seeds off it too . I'm anxious to know if it crossed with the Black Knight or if it stayed pure.

SoCalGardenNut don't you just love your La Reine, it is a wonder.

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Berrypie - planted in spring and already 4 feet tall!! What a great rose bush!! I hope that is a scabiosa plant...if it is it'll be quite interesting to see if it stayed true to the parent or not. :) :) :) :)

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Carol, those floppy weedy looking leaves ( no offense ) do look like it if I remember right. None of mine grew this year so I can't make a positive identification. That's the kind of garden suspense that shreds my nerves. I should learn to enjoy the mystery...

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

I hope they are!!! And we'll probably have to wait til next year to find out. I do remember planting one there. But I doubt it would have grown that fast. Oh, well...we'll find out eventually. :)

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Next year, oh shreds !

I hope by some miracle it will decide to send up a stalk to flower before Fall, but now I remember my Fama White didn't bloom the first year. The Black Knights did.

The unattractive leaves run the risk of being weeded, it's a wonder any ever survive to bloom with a start like that.

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

I just went through and updating my rose record, it shows i have a Mme Isaac Periere, i have to wait until i trim my rose to know exactly where it is.

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

Follow your nose...

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

Berrypie - yes, I'm excited to find out what color the blooms will be. :) :) Waiting is the hard part.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    7 months ago

SoCalGardenNut,

Beautiful La Reine! Yay, 5 blooms! She has tge most girgeous blooms & fragrance! Don’t forget to smell her fab fragrance!

That’s so exciting that you have a Mme Isaac Pereire! I draw designs of whete ai wish to plant my rosrs so I can look at the design and know which rose is planted thete when I first plant. I keep plastic labels on them, too, if they have them. Eventually I memorize them. Your La Reine doubds very promusibg with 5 blooms! She has really beautiful blooms! I live La Reine & Isaac Pereire!

Berry, A 4ft La Reine is wonderful! I am really thinking Zi want to move mine out of it’s pot! Next spring! My La Reine had about 15 blooms first flush. However a ”larger La Reine” will probably have twice as many blooms!

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

Thanks Kitty, i listened to your advice and fertilzed my Japanese roses, they now put on new growth, yay yay!

• berrypiez6b
    7 months ago

For years I have wondered about this rose

https://hedgerowrose.com/rose-gardening/2011/06/17/growing-madame-ernest-calvat-rose/

I suppose one more day it won't hurt to just go to bed and stop researching her for tonight. These roses have a way of keeping me up too late.

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

Believe it or not, my record says i have this rose.

• rosecanadian
    7 months ago

GardenNut - excellent on the new rose growth! So rewarding. :) So you have it, but have no idea where it is? :) :) I believe it. lol

Berrypie - mmmm...that's beautiful!!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    7 months ago

SoCalGardenNut, Yay Yay! New growth! Fertilizer works! Lol! Very good! When your Mme I Pereire blooms-you’ll know her! She really stands out!

@berrypiez6b I know!!!!! These roses really keep us up at night! Researching! Planning our gardens! Help! But they are sooooooo exquisite!

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

Thanks Kitty and Carol. Today i found out i have a few Chandos Beauty buds, I’ll see if i can take a picture when it’s fully open. when i got back, it had a long stick but no blooms, so i cut it down, it must put the energy into making flowers.

I also discovered my white hydrangea is alive, I’m so glad, it’s in a clay pot and not planted down.

But I’m moving a lot of things today. One of my Fuji Goromo, a rare tree peony that i purchased last year didnt even come up. I have to move something there, but it’s frustrating, i’ll stick to roses, much easier to get some satisfaction.

• SoCalGardenNut
    7 months ago

Vick’s Caprice

the whole bush

Chandos Beauty

My Hood pear, low chill variety with flowers, very pretty

Golden Dorsett flowers, also very pretty

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

GardenNut - I'm so envious of your Chandos Beauty!! :) :)