SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720679265

2022-2023 MY FAVORITE OLD GARDEN ROSES

KittyNYz6
7 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Happy Spring-Summer to all you Old Garden Rose Lovers! (And winter-fall to other rosie friends around the globe!) Ok, it’s still spring June 8, 2022 for me in Geneva, NY!

I started loving and purchasing OGRs last summer 2021 August and really acquired most of my favorites this spring 2022. I have 8 OGRs. I have about 120 total roses, but finally I am branching out to enjoy OGRs!

Love to see your favorites photos this 2022 and the new 2023 coming season of your OGR on this thread.

Is it a Centifolia, China, HP, Damask Hybrid Perpetual, Bourbon, or other variety, from your gardens, especially. photos & mention why you love them?

My Old Garden Rose Favorites of 2022….and I’ll add new roses as I order… and 2023 coming soon…….

Reine des Violettes, HP, (gorgeous violet frills!) Purchase from Antique Rose Emporium-The real deal!

Madame Dubost, Bourbon, (Intense fragrance-deep fushia, English appearance

Comments (164)

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Vapor,

Mel sounds wonderful!

For winter how tall do you prune your climbers and do you give them any protection, burlap or anything? I have a few climbers on the fences which I pruned a lot last year. This year I’d like to keave them maybe tied to fence at 5 or 6ft? Now they are 8 ft. Some may be 10ft by winter start. What do you think? Laguna, Ponponella Pomponella, Kiss Me Kate, Kiss of Desire are pretty tall now on fences. Cornelia us just 1 1/2 ft-I’ll give her a burlap sack as she is too new. I know mibe do better-those I wrap in burlap for winter. Where are you located?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 months ago

Kitty. I am in Cincinnati, OH in a river valley with extremes of weather and temp. I try to keep track of my lowest winter temp to judge what is truly hardy vs. what made it through a mild winter. Normally we get in the minus 0F, but for the past four year weve only reached 4+F, so I only know which of my newer roses survive tip hardy to that temp.

I used to lay Cl. Clotilde Soupert and Ghislaine de Feligonde on the ground and cover lightly with oak leaves, but since they are so tall now I havent done that and its had no ill effect. I dont pre-winter prune even if theyve gone dormant thinking there is more cane to die back especially given fluctuating Spring temps. If you have the time and inclination, lowering the entire canes cant hurt nor can covering with burlap since it lets some air pass through, but blocks the harsh wind. You probably get more snow than us which helps. I think many people tie the canes to prevent them from being broken in the wind so you might do that if they arent attached already. My terrain is too uneven and on too many levels to fuss much, unfortunately, so they have to tough it out.

I wouldnt worry about Laguna or Pomponella. Cornelia might be a bit more iffy; She climbs, but isnt a monster!😄

KittyNYz6 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Related Discussions

Favorite companion plants for old garden roses

Q

Comments (26)
    Kay- It's good to know cleome can reseed. That was one thing I meant to ask. It sounds like a great plant with the roses! Woodyoak- Clematis is always beautiful with roses. I have two metal arches in the fairy garden. Purple clematis would be perfect :) Aimeekitty- Again, your garden is beautiful! I have lavender, but it's Hidcote lavender, which is much hardier here. Catmint and salvia do well here...maybe the penstemon, but I'm not sure about the others. I do envy you your star jasmine. I just love that stuff, so I buy two small bushes at Lowe's every spring (only about $5 each) and put them in big pots, surrounded by white petunias. If I ever get enough money for a sunporch....it will be for star jasmine and an orange tree!!! LOL
    ...See More

New roses in your garden & old favorites?

Q

Comments (48)
    Sam: That's the best bush-shot of Alnwick rose. so many blooms. How do you like the scent? I'm going keep my eyes opened for outdoor-wood-burner at Craig's list. My neighbor has a small open one (a circular one with feet) which he got at garage sale, and he got lots of wood-ash from that small fire-pit. But that has to be stored inside a garage, 2 neighbors had to trash their metal-fire-pits, since they got rusty in the rain. There's a picnic area with a public fireplace nearby, will have to check if there's wood ash inside that fireplace. We go past that park when I go to the Spice House to get spices. I've just spent 1 hour drilling hundreds of holes on my plastic pots ... roots need air to grow big. Can't find the fast-draining pine-based potting soil, so I just have to cope with slower-draining MG-moisture control (sold cheap at Sam's club $!1 for a HUGE BAG twice the size at Walmart). Jude the Obscure is an old favorite, 2 own-root Jude died on my zone 5a winter, so I try 2 more own-roots this year, but will winterize them inside my garage ... I'm addicted to Jude's scent. The pink ones are Annie L. McDowell rose (thornless):
    ...See More

My two favorite books about old roses

Q

Comments (7)
    There is a treasure trove of information on OGRs on google, specifically google books. It's harder to get into now than it used to be, but the info is there. East coasters and southern rose growers need to (at least) know that Mary C. Rion's Ladies' Southern Florist has excellent chapters on growing roses. Ladies Southern Florist has been in my library since 2008 (a second copy arrived as a Christmas gift from a good friend that winter). Amazon has them used; I willingly paid full price and would again.
    ...See More

New 2022/2023 Proven Winners Roses

Q

Comments (74)
    I am very excited to read about these roses. They look very beautiful, or at least photogenic, and suitable for modern gardens. Though I have a tiny "mature garden" and no room - and also semi shade, unless I have the fortitude to do some severe editing. As far as hardiness, Serbia is actually located in the Balkans, Its inhabitants fought very courageously against the invading Nasties in WW2. They seem, also to be a hotbed of discerning rose enthusiasm, which warms my heart. As far as plant hardiness Serbia has a "moderate continental climate", Zone 6 - 8. forever_a_newbie_VA8 I am glad to hear you are recovering your sense of smell after Covid. I caught it, too, in May, and lost mine. But I do seem to be able to still smell some floral scents, including roses, which makes it easier. Other smells are still quite faint, though gradually improving. I have not yet recovered the ability to perceive the bad smells, which in a way is a blessing, if a mixed one.
    ...See More
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Vapor, Thank you. I wondered how you maintaned so many climbers in our cold. I guess I’ll do the usual some pruning in late fall & maybe some burlap.

So excited…..

Benny Lopez is starting a few blooms again 3rd time…

Benny Lopez, Damask Perpetual, lovely Damask fragrance…

He’s a healthy, disease resistant rose-so happy w/ him him! Look at those nice clean healthy leaves!!!!!

Really happy with my new OGRs this year… all have good leaves and growing well.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@Paul Barden

Do you know how many weeks La Ville de Brussels blooms? I have always thought she was beautiful, but cincerned about the once blooming.

5 months ago

I have always admired Benny Lopez But didn't realize he would be hardy in our zone! Thank you for growing him kitty. I can't think of anyone else in a cold zone doing so. What a wonderful hot pink color. Let us know next year if he continues to be Black spot free

• Paul Barden
    5 months ago

@KittyNYz6 ’La Ville de Bruxelles” typically blooms for 3-4 weeks here. Maybe less in a climate that warms more quickly than it does in the PNW.

KittyNYz6 thanked Paul Barden
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 months ago

I agree that Benny is a beautiful rose.

KittyNYz6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Benny Lopez yesterday

Benny L today!

Vapor,

As fall rains have started her in the Fingerlakes, NY, mid-August to present Aug end… & continuing….. I see some slight mildew on some roses…. but Benny has none so far. He has morning shade/afternoon sun for 6-8 hrs. I had him earlier in spring in a morning sun 6-8 hrs /part shade area & he did fine, too. However, my roses do best growing in morning plus afternoon sun 6-12 hours. However, Benny seems very happy!

Kristine, Thank you! I am loving Benny!!!!

ROSE FRIENDS:

So far, of my 9 OGRs, Benny Lopez and Jacque Cartier have no mildew or BS-they are the most disease resistant! Reine des Violette is very D-resistant too!

Benny has exceeded my expectations for being a fabulous OGR-that I don’t have to fuss with & beautiful/fragrant! I purchased him from Rose Petals Nursery, if you’d like to order him! Woohoo!

• jacqueline9CA
    5 months ago

Do any of you (Jeri?) know if anyone has come up with good guesses, or at least some options, as to who "Benny Lopez" really is?

Jackie

KittyNYz6 thanked jacqueline9CA
  • berrypiez6b
    5 months ago

What, he is an imposter !! ?

I'm still trying to figure out Mons Tillier and Archiduc Joseph from 5 years ago...

KittyNYz6 thanked berrypiez6b
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 months ago

HMF says BL is a study name for a mystery rose from the 1950s.

Jackie

• berrypiez6b
    5 months ago

Intriguing.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you. Yes , I see BL needs a ”real Old Garden Rose name???? Hmmmmm. (Maybe I’ll nick name it for myself personally, as it deserves a more appropriate name, such as ”Victoria, Duchess of Nemours.,” a cousin of Queen Victoria. A special name suited to her beautiful radiant fushia color & fragrance! Ok…well… it was a fun idea!

It is still in the agreed study phase name of “Benny Lopez.” It is sometimes referred to as ”The Mystery Santa Barbara Rose.” Found in 2005, in Santa Barbara by Ingrid Wapelhorst..A Damask Perpetual,

Originally, Danask Perpetuals & Portlands were crossed with China roses so they had rich damask fragrances and a variety of colors such as white to pinks, fushias, crimsons, & lavenders. The Victorians were mad about these roses so much they created rose societies, exhibitions/competitions for these roses changing how roses were viewed for centuries to come.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Benny Lopez blooms again… few blooms this week!

My new job is giving me a free rose: Yolanda de Aragon! Plan to order her on Tuesday! OH, I AM SO EXCITED!!!! She is a top OGR-super fragrant-lush-can’t wait!

Yolande de Aragon

Heirloom Roses Photos

5 months ago

Hurray for you! YdA is also very Hardy so good for your climate.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Vapor, TRUE-a zone 4 rose!!!! Yolande is good for my climate! DOUBLE WOOHOO! And very disease resistant!!! Need that! The color, frills and fragrance are outstanding!

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 months ago

Lucky ducky!! What a glorious color.

KittyNYz6 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • berrypiez6b
    5 months ago

Fancy that ! Kitty, your effort to make other peoples lives more beautiful is coming back to you.

• jacqueline9CA
    5 months ago

I am so glad that there are new, or old & rediscovered, roses which will thrive in zone 4! Do you have to burry them in the winter?

Jackie

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Kristine, Thank you! Yolande is glorious!!!! I think we are all blessed in many ways!

Berry, Thank you! What a winderful thought! The nursery is very generous and I love working with them!

Jacqueline, I am a zone 6, but I buy roses for zone 4, 5 also…. as the more hardy the better. However, I don’t bury them when it’s freezing…. I mound them, wrap them in burlap, tie them to trelllis & orune them back a little before winter. Fun winter protection! .It is exciting to see how hardy Yolande is, a zone 4.

• HU-204068756
    4 months ago

Hey, Your garden is very beautiful. Your efforts and hard work have made your garden very beautiful.

KittyNYz6 thanked HU-204068756
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

@HU-204068756 Thank you! As fall comes now…. my OGRs are taller, but healthy! La Reine bloomed when I put her on my sheltered porch w/ her boy friend, Louis Odier, in a pots, during 3 days of rain. Now it’s sunny and she and Louis Odier are out in the sun again!

OGRs are a JOY!!!!! Thectest of them did fine as the rains poured!!!! Now it’s drier snd sunny and all my gsrdens grew a leap-many canes jumped a foot!

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

Kitty, It's a little confusing ; is La Reine aware that her boyfriend is Madame de Stella, alias Louis, best known as Louise Odier ? Innocent La Reine got bloomin' fooled.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Berry, Ha Ha! La Reine & Louis are such a great pair! They love each other! And they stand tall on either side of my front porch steps…. gorgeous together when they bloom!

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago

La Reine is out of stock, I hope Heirloom will have her again someday soon so my roses can have her company.

Francis Dubreuil was right on the verge of blooming for the first time when a friend asked if she could have it, and then neglected it to death. There are definitely "Rose People" and those that are not.

I always wondered what it's bloom would have been like, and it's perfume that everyone speaks about so highly. Francis Dubreuil is a favorite of the staff at Antique Rose Emporium , that says a lot when they have so many great old roses.

• jacqueline9CA
    4 months ago

Kitty - thanks for explaining your winter protection. I am so lazy, and so lucky to live in a climate where the roses grow for 12 months a year, and don't need much other than some water during our normal 6 months when we get zero rain, and of course some pruning if they get too ambitious. My hat goes off to all of you who spend a lot of time getting them ready for winter, and then getting them un-protected in Spring. Makes me tired just thinking about that!

Jackie

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Berry, Yes, La Reine is still out of stock, but I am sure she will be available by Feb/April or so for spring growing. So excited about next spring!!! Francis D sounded like a magnificent rose! Maybe you will enjoy another season for her, too, in the future!

Jackie, Thank you! I used to be CA, zone 9- oh, the easy rose life style!!! Enjoy!

Yolande de Aragon came a month ago and I planted her temporarily in Espoma Organic Garden Soil on my south side of home for winter. She is starting to leaf out. Next spring I will transplant her to my new “veggie-rose bed,” which I will expand in the size of an oval in my back yard.

I just ordered Comte de Chambord and Clotilde Soupert. I debated on Baron Prevost, also…. but it’s on my wish list. (I had Clotilde Soupert a season ago, flourishing!!!!! but the door hit it & it met an untimely demise, Oops!!!! I will plant my new Clotilde Soupert in a pot for the next season! Woohoo! Comibg from Antique Rose Emporium.

Last years’ ”Clotilde Soupert…..”

And coming for next season,

Comte de Chambord, a Portland, blooms often, very fragrant….coming from DA in Texas.

Peter Beales photos

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Any new plans for OGRs in your gardens for next spring? What’s on your rose lists at this time? Antique Rose Emporium, DA, Cattail Creek, and Heirloom Roses are all taking orders now!!!! Time for some new Portlands, Bourbons, Hybrid Perpetuals, Teas, Chinas, Damasks, Gallicas? I love Noisettes! I miss their aromatic smell as they are not blooming now…… but sooooooo excited to see them next spring….. as we order and plan our new gardens next 2023!!!!

What other nuseries are taking OGR orders in Oct or soon?

Do any of you have Comte de Chambord? Photos? How does it do in your garden?

• seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

Hi @KittyNYz6

Yes, I have Comte (thanks to @strawchicago z5 for drawing my attention to him with her fabulous pics and scent description!). He really is all that.

Mine is still young and puny but last month he put out a very strong new basal. He's not the most vigorous rose, even grafted on laxa, but he's been very healthy and very floriferous for his size. And the scent really is heavenly! Mine's not blooming right now, he's busy growing, but I can dig up a pic or two, although I 'm sure others here have better examples of him!

Edit: Found it! Here's young Comte during his June flush

New OGR's:

This year I am adding three.

-Marie Ducher (Tea) A bit big but I couldn't resist. She'll go in my boyfriend's garden.

-Homere (Tea)... I was going to get Regulus but they were already sold out even though I ordered early! So I'll try Homere instead, I heard it stays short and has strong fragrance. Not easy to find teas that are container friendly and have strong scent!

-Louis XIV (China): this one is supposed to really stay tiny. The one I saw in the rose garden at L'Hay was under two feet tall.

Your Clotilde Soupert was gorgeous! No wonder you want to have her again!! I hope the next one will live a long and healthy life.

KittyNYz6 thanked seasiderooftop
  • jacqueline9CA
    3 months ago

My favorites tend to change, depending on what is happening in my garden. Also, I LOVE "mystery roses" at least those which survive in my garden for decades. Here is my latest mystery rose which is taking up my thoughts:

• jacqueline9CA
    3 months ago

Grrr - Houzz is determined not to let me post a photo - will try again.

Finally worked!

Jackie

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@seasiderooftop How exciting! Love your new Comte de Chambord! For a newbie it’s blooming a lot and pretty blooms! Love it! ! Very floriferous-that is one reason I am so excited to have her! I expect she may be my most blooming OGR!!! SO EXCITED!

Marie Ducher is beautiful-I looked at her w/ Ducher Roses! Pretty peachy & fushia colors! Wowsa! Homere is the most delicate cream fristed w/ light link edges-gorgeous! And Louis XIV Oh, My, decadent-rich wine-velvelty almost black red -decadent like King Louis was! Maybe you need Antoinette to join him?

Jackie, What a beautiful Mystery Rose! Keeps me baffled….. wanna know it’s name! Hmmmmmm….. beautiful shape & peachy vibrant yellow! Fabulous mystery!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 months ago

I started with OGRs in SoCal and brought that love to the north woods, but then decided to go in a different direction, and have eliminated most of them. Here are a few I couldn't part with.

I knew this rose as Jacques Cartier, Hybrid Perpetual. However, he has not been a good rose here and I dug both of them up this year. Even his strong scent didn't live up to it's potential. He WAS a favorite in CA.

Erinnerung an Brod, Hybrid Setigera. I can't get rid of her so I decided to love her. The tiniest little piece of root left in the ground will sprout.

ispahan, Damask, most favorite. Blooms the longest, perfume the strongest.

Black Prince, Hybrid Perpetual. Sorry, terrible photo.

Not a clue who this is. I've called her Mrs. John Laing for 20 years. i don't have the heart to tell her. I think she's a Hybrid Perpetual. I hope Paul Barden can figure it out for me.

Petite Lisette, Centifolia. I have to include this sweet little thing, though I no longer have her. Small blooms that have a BIG scent. I've read the Austin people use her for her perfume.

Jackie, this dry climate suits the Madame, so no balling here. Bourbon.

All the above photos in this thread have me longing for an entire garden of OGRs again. I have to stop looking, or I will be off on another tangent before I can stop myself.

KittyNYz6 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Flowers, I am lost in your gorgeous OGRs!!! Oh, My!!!! Beautiful photography! Tgecare all my favs! I love your decadent Mme Isaac Perierre! Mrs john Laing-I wish-it had a name-it’s a fabulous rose-really amazing! Deep Black Prince-My it takes my breath away-I am in love!❤️❤️❤️ I love Ispahan-she’s always sooo beautiful! Erin.. an Brod….. What a beautiful deep purplish fushia-She’s worth her persistance! I’d keep her, too! Jacque C-sorry she didn’t like her new climate. I have a new Jacque Cartier-she grows vigorously, but hope she blooms next soring! I planted her kate & she has never bloomed yet. Your centiflia us lovely, too! You havecan amazing variety of roses!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I was looking at Paul Barden roses & Rogue Valley Roses and I have a new favorite…Barbara Oliva rose, a moss rose, , says she repeat blooms sometimes….I wonder? Wow is she decadent!

@Paul Barden Thank you! I hear she blooms long anyway, even if she’s a once bloomer! I’ll buy her from Rogue Valley Roses when she’s in stock. I’m on the wait list now….

Barbara Oliva rose, by Paul Barden

photo from Rogue Valley Roses

3 months ago

I knew this thread would prove dangerously tempting. I stayed away as long as I could. Now, I have a list.

Vapor, there's nothing more romantic than roses peeking through a fence. Such lovely photos.

Though they're not OGRs, two roses new to me this year have the old rose look. Paul's Mel's Heritage and Kim's Annie Laurie McDowell are babies that didn't get in the ground. They fit in well with the oldies, and I'm pleased as punch, and honored, to have them in my garden.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA Ok, We want to know your list now????? Totally tempting! OGRs are the most sumptous!

Does everyone have their OGR lists ready to order? Which are the most fragrant and tantalizing rose bloomers to be ordered for next spring 2023? YUMMY! I can just smell them now…. their perfumes gracing my gardens…. wafts of OGRs scents everywhere!!!!!! You , too????

3 months ago

Oh, that's easy, Kitty! Just scroll through this thread and you'll have it. There's hardly a photo here that didn't shout, "me, me!" I would grow a garden of tea roses if I had the climate. I tried two of the hardier ones and found pushing the zone doesn't work on teas.

Now, I'm concentrating on roses that bloom all season, like Austins, because I can count on them and Meilland, and always Carruth and Bedard roses. My coddling diva roses days are over. Of course, the old Perpetuals, Bourbons, Albas, Damasks and others are suitable for cold climates. Oh, and Rugosas! Rosearie de l'Hay never needs attention, even in clay soil. She just carries on being beautiful.

• seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

A fantastic little OGR for pots is Marie Pavie. Thank you for recommending her, @Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal ! I added her to my boyfriend's garden this summer.

She does have a sweet/musky fragrance that is not that strong when I stick my nose in it, but surprisingly does waft all around her. Very healthy as well!

• jacqueline9CA
    3 months ago

seasiderooftop - How large does MP get for you, grown in a pot? IMO, your contributions on here are invaluable for people who, for whatever reason, have all or most of their roses growing in pots. A different situation from those (like me) who have roses growing in pots just to get big enough to put them in the ground, or because there is no space available at the moment.

Jackie

• Paul Barden
    3 months ago

Though this applies more to a somewhat cooler climate (PNW, 97339), I can state that I know of several large adult plants of 'Marie Pavie' in the area, and even the best cared-for specimens (grown in the ground) do not exceed 5 x 5 feet. Most I've seen remain closer to 3x3. Its a real standout among the Polys.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

@flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA The OGRs are fun! I guess I am just getting started. However, with my climate it seems I have lots of rain & some humidity, so I really baby my OGRs which us a little extra work…... I move my La Reine & Louis Odier onto my porch when it rains to keep them from over watering…… up…. down…. up up….. diwn down…… each time it rains….careful to give all my OGRs as much sun as possible . Seems ok. Love their super fragrant fantastic big sumptous blooms!

However, the DA, Meilllandland, Kordes, Delbard, & floribundas are my highlights in my gardens, too. I need those ever bloomers! Esp. DAs are so spectacular!

@seasiderooftop

Marie Pavie is a beautiful delicate OGR. Love her polyantha sm light creamy pink petals. How beautiful!

@jacqueline9CA Since Marie Pavie is a polyantha it is considered great for pots! I hooe you may enjoy her!

@Paul Barden Thanks for the sizes of Marie Pavie. I notice w/ enough organic fertilizers, fish fertilizer esp., and great organic soils/composts almost any rose seems to grow in my garden taller than the usual estimates. Lol Most my average roses grow 5 ft. Although, my cold winters keep m my climbers shorter-which is easier for me to manage, Lol! So I guess if you want tall roses you can nurture them! Lol! And the opposite is true, too!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Oh, My, I forgot to add that I purchased Variegatta di Bolgna, a boubon rose. She blooms for 3-4 weeks in June I have read and may bloom a few later in season. She’s a once bloomer, mainly. However, she is the most amazing showy rose! She may reach 10 ft tall & 5ft wide so I will put her in the middle of my newly enlargened oval veggie bed next spring. I am planting 7 roses there. I may get an obelisk for VdB. She will be beside the tall bird bath.

Variegatta di Bologna

Heirloom Roses photo

(I think named after the city in Italy not the sausage! Lol!)

Anyone have this rose? How do you like it? Isn’t it sumptous!

• seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

@jacqueline9CA Sorry I am only seeing your post just now. Thank you for your kind words, I hope my feedback can be useful for anyone out there growing roses in pots, especially in hot climates.

Marie Pavie is still new here, she arrived as a very late bare root rose at the end of May and was planted in a six gallon pot. She thrived in spite of this late planting in hot weather.

Now after 6 months here she is about a foot and a half tall. Her flowering stems get a little taller than that, but I deadhead quite aggressively, well past the first five leaflet leaf, in the hope of promoting thicker branching stem growth lower down on the plant.

I hope being grown in a pot, with root pruning every couple of years, will help to keep her around the three foot size. I will definitely post updates about her growth in the future!

• jacqueline9CA
    3 months ago

Thanks, seasiderooftop and Paul, for the sizes Mari Pavie grows. Polyanthas love my garden, and an in-the-ground size of 5 x 5 ft would be great for my garden full of huge roses.

Jackie

• Paul Barden
    3 months ago

I have (or should I say, used to have?) 'Variegata di Bologna', but after 22 years, all that's left is the reversion to solid pinkish purple. Its fairly common for this rose to revert to solid color, losing all of its striped parts. (The solid color is a stronger plant than the striped)

Here in the PNW, 'Variegata di Bologna' is extremely disease prone: in the spring it has chronic Blackspot, and in August, its starts to Mildew (assuming it has any foliage at all). I would only grow this again if I was going to commit to using fungicides without fail.

Its beautiful when its growing well, but its a fight to keep it healthy, and you have to remove the branches that revert to solid color.

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you, Paul for the heads up. Guess I will baby her!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 15 hours ago

SPRING COMIN’ TIME FOR FINISHING ORDERS FOR OLD GARDEN ROSES TO START SPRING SOON….. anticipation is too much!!!!!!! SPRING FEVER COMING! Time for Old Garden Rise mania!

What’s your fav OLD GARDEN Rose?

What are you excited to see bloom this soring?

MY 13 OGR’s:

I’m soooooo excited to see my new OGR’s: Variegata di Bologna, Yolande de Aragon, new Clotilde Soupert, Ardoise de Lyon, Jacque Cartier, Comte de Chambord, Cornelia CL, first blooms ever!!!!!! And 2nd year Mme Isaac Pereire, Mme Dubost, Benny Lopez, Reine de Violettes, La Reine, Louis Odier.

Please share your favorites waiting to grow & bloom?

MY MOST FAVORITE waiting to bloom would be VdBologna ir Yolanda de Aragon! Really excited to see them all bloom!

• ingrid_vc
    15 hours ago

I've just lost my chatty post detailing old roses I'll be planting in late April when they arrive from Roses Unlimited, but my post went poof! and disappeared. I know that's happened to others but it's a first for me. Anyway, here's my list:

Lady Hillingdon

Etoile de Lyon

Bermuda Spice

La France

Triomphe de Luxembourg

Celine Forestiere

• ingrid_vc
    15 hours ago

Kitty, looking at your list reminded me that I should have ordered Louise Odier but somehow missed the boat. If I still have roses by spring she'll certainly be on order. If all is well, I think I'll probably order Benny Lopez too. Such a beautiful rose!