SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leah_jane23

Leaking sprinkler valve

Leah Jane
last year

I need some help replacing an old sprinkler valve or possibly both since I think they are both getting old. One is actively leaking (the gray Richdel one). They don't seem too expensive to replace but I don't know where to start. At some point the last homeowner cut the wires to the (?)solenoids (black things on top). Assuming they were previously connected to wires I found running along the bottom of the house, which are attached to an ancient looking Rainbird battery operated timer box. I suppose I could reconnect everything eventually and make it "automatic" again, but that's not the priority - the priority is fixing the seeping/leaks.
I have been manually turning my sprinklers on by rotating the black pieces on the top until the sprinklers come on. They both leak or spray a little when I do that. The gray Richdel one on the right also seeps/leaks all the time now, just a little, but the ground is always wet.
I may also dig around both of these to see if the pvc under the ground is cracked or leaking as well. We've had problems with moisture under the house and I want to repair any leaks I can find to see if we can get it to dry out properly.
Can I get two of the same 3/4 in 150 psi sprinkler valves (maybe Rainbird or Orbit) to replace both of these with? Hopefully I can follow the instructions in the box and not have too much trouble. Any tips for a newbie?

Comments (4)