SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qz0g40

How can I update this room?

Mary McKenna
last year

The paint color here looks blueish, I think, but it is actually gray. Since the room has to be re-painted, what color would you guys recommend? I am leaning toward a soft, medium blue. Also, should I take down the sconces and replace chandelier? I already plan on replacing the mirror with a piece of art. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (91)

• happyleg
    last year

You could getA marble tables nightstands and it would be nice if the room was all one color cuz of the slope with the ceiling and and it's okay to have your blue bedding

• happyleg
    last year

Yes get a new chanti to I forgot to mention that

• Related Discussions

What can I do to update these rooms?

Q

Comments (10)
    Trying to find a place to put a large TV is a common problem. Your present TV location is blocking a door and it is a very heavy presence in the room. How about you get a more open, lower, lighter color TV stand and place it under the window? Can you get by without one of the living room chairs? If you move out the green chair to another room, the room will look better once the TV is relocated You can then put the two remaining chairs side by side instead of at their current angled positions. You can put a small table between them to hold a drink, a book, etc. Replace the dark ottoman with two smaller size ottomans that could do double duty as a coffee table or foot ottoman if needed in front of the chairs.
    ...See More

How can I update my fireplace from the 80s.

Q

Comments (2)
    paint it white, and paint the surround with matte black heatproof paint. it will look great -- google "white brick fireplace" for inspiration. if you wind up not liking it, you can always tile it later. I'd keep the mantle and hearth the way they are. but if you disliked those, I'd try either staining them dark charcoal, or replacing the mantle with a simple wood version.
    ...See More

How would I update my living Room?

Q

Comments (24)
    Is the popcorn ceiling a no no? It's outdated & has its issues. But, removal is a project I've avoided! lol! You have a lovely room but you are ready for something different! As others suggest, take everything out, bring in your basic sofa & comfy chair and then slowly add things back in. It will feel odd to have open areas, but give it time. Lighter rug and drapes would make a big difference and the mantle is abit overpowering.
    ...See More

How can I update corner brick fireplace

Q

Comments (32)
    the house had some quirky things, for sure. This room is not that big and this over powers it. We actually have 3 living areas, including a large sunroom. This den is open to the dining then into the living room, so the colors must be cohesive. I have Quitude in the living room and kitcen as they are connected with a 6' opening. the colors actually work very well. The leather furniture is Louis Shanks, 2008. We blended furniture from 2 houses after selling a Hill Country house.
    ...See More
  • Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Is that red wine?😉

• happyleg
    last year

My phone is acting up Chandelier

Mary McKenna thanked happyleg
  • Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Do you mean for the mirrors by the bed?

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm not a pro, but it seems a low contrast you plan, high windows and ceiling - something as posted with canvas art above fp, etc. should be strong anchoring of pattern and/or color. I'm merely repeating, silly?, but the pro's large chandelier, sparse lights though, filled the air space, and wasn't 'heavy'.

Mary McKenna thanked everdebz
  • Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Judy,

My house does not face a true south/west, north/east direction.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I think SW Creamy is a very nice neutral that you can do a lot with. I would do both ceiling and walls. I wouldn’t do accent wall it lowers the feeling of the wall behind your bed. Are you changing trim color?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Some looks with walls and ceiling same color. Creates open airy feeling. Visually elevates side shirt walls.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Opps “short” walls not “shirt” walls

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Does anyone think I can use a soft gold metal on the new chandelier? I don’t want to get rid of my silver/gray/mirrored bedside tables. How can I make the look work?

• husterd
    last year

I like your bedside tables, form and function. Assume those are keepers. All the elements are pretty yet It is the combo that is “off.” change one of the 3 elements. Hang mirrors higher or on other walls not over the tables? Or use elsewhere? The lamps which are very nice hide the mirrors and the mirrors at the same time make the lamp forms disappear. Replace with colorful/metallic not clear lamps? Experiment now, nail holes not matter before painting, with all these simple changes and see what looks best to you. Take lamps from another room to see what might like better. Obviously make final decisions/changes after all else done. Need to add some color in accessorizing with pillows, a painting, mantel, or lamps. Not all of these, but something.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Yes. You can use what is called “champagne” or sometimes other names but it is about midway between a silver and gold. Very pretty. Something like this but bigger. At least 30” round. Or something more organic.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Husterd,

Thank you for the advice. I had not thought about changing out the lamps, but the wire being visible has always bothered me. 🥹 All I know for sure is that when this is all over, I’m going to have a lot of ”stuff” to get rid of.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

I know! Maybe I can open a furniture store😄!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Don’t get ahead of yourself. One step at a time avoids errors. Have you decided on paint color? Art? Rug? Art is key in this room. Lamps come after everything else is selected. Especially art and rug. Any colors will be drawn from art. Help us help you. Have you a subject matter or style you like for the art? Seascapes, flowers, birds? A lot of choices. Just think about what feeling you want to wake up to. Calm beachy waters? Pastel geometric?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Idea board.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Flo, there is a store called At Home here in Michigan. They have tons of canvas art, and we are going tomorrow. I am leaning toward a beachy theme. I might take out the rug entirely.

• husterd
    last year

Remember not necessarily to get rid of good things but to repurpose and upgrade other rooms in the house. Guest room usually neglected for instance.

• RedRyder
    last year

There are two really good art websites I have used - greatbigcanvas.com and art.com have tons of sizes, styles, colors and frames. Fun to browse both website.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Ok great. Good luck.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Any luck?

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Getting closer😄

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Flo, do you think i have to consider the granite color in the ensuite for choosing a picture for bedroom?

• PRO
    MIRODEMI
    last year

Hello, please consider these variants of chandeliers for replacing. You have high ceiling and a big long chandelier will be ideally. And for sure take down the sconces. Your bedside lamps are pretty well.

Mary McKenna thanked MIRODEMI
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

The granite looks black? If so, it’s neutral so not a big issue. In fact, black anchors a room nicely.

• everdebz
    last year

Just a mention that a matching sconce but with some details could make your mirror 'better' -

Rogue Decor 612260 Engeared 1 Light 16" Tall Wall Sconce - Antiqued Gold Leaf · More Info

Mary McKenna thanked everdebz
  • clgomez123
    last year

Beautiful room! Champaign wall and ceiling in same color with wood beam in light oak or dune color. Brushed champaign metals on lights and and large modern ceiling light(s). Remove FP mantle and wall sconces. Long White flowy breezy linen window treatments on wooden rods that match wood beam tone. Large art canvas over Fire Place of sand dune nature or charcoal drawing. Tufted bench at end of bed with matching tufted tall headboard in pale silver or champaign. Dusty Blue duvet bedding and white pillows and throw. Pair of over stuffed chairs (slipcovers) small wood shared table and large ottoman with large wooden tray to match wood tones. Peach and sage would also be complementary accent color.

Mary McKenna thanked clgomez123
  • Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

How low can the chandelier hang over our bed?

The major problem with the chandelier has been how to keep it clean, since the ceiling is 18’ tall. My husband cannot get up on a ladder, and i should’nt either.

• husterd
    last year

Pick a chandelier with as little glass as possible to get dirty or cloudy. No cloth shades. A simple metal fixture, maybe black like fireplace surround or tin, not shiny metal, can be dusted with extension pole. Only light bulbs need cleaning and too far up to see. Being practical can also be classically simple and beautiful. Led bulbs last forever.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

You can hang chandelier so bottom is 7-1/2’ up from floor. You can use a Swiffer duster with extension to dust occasionally. I am sure we can find chandelier that works both atheistically and low maintenance. No worries there. Did you find any art you loved? Remember it has to be vertical shape. No squares or wide ones.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

There are too many choices for art! I have a little time because there was a problem with electrical. I‘ve pretty much exhausted bigcanvas.

• husterd
    last year

You’ve searched for the art, probably know by now what you like and don’t. What color range you looking for. The size appropriate. Nothing has grabbed you yet. That is ok. Art is subjective, might take awhile. Look for a piece after the room done when you can slow down and enjoy the search. Your wall color whether pale blue or creamy is a neutral. Rooms are not put together in a day, the best evolve over time. You can make a temporary mantel arrangement, no hanging with nails, until you find a piece that speaks to you. One you can enjoy when wake up in the morning. Other items, chandelier, are more immediate decisions. Solve those first. Live with the finished room for awhile. Then you will know when you find the perfect piece. Your room is beautiful, so much to work with. Enjoy.

• RedRyder
    last year

Great advice @husterd. Let the art search go for now. At another time, the browsing at art fairs, antique stores, websites, etc. will be more fun when the rest of the room is completed.

Mary McKenna thanked RedRyder
  • Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

That would certainly take some pressure off.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

This chandelier measures 40 x 40. Will it work in an 18 x 18’ room?

• husterd
    last year

I like it a lot. Classic lines, updated, metal color you like. Easy to dust with wand and no glass to get cloudy and need cleaning:) As to size someone else needs to advise.

• happyleg
    last year

Measure the width of the table-12 inches will tell you how big the chandelier should be

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

You can go that big because of height and size of room. Kinda can’t go wrong. It must be hung at proper height. Bottom 7.5’ off floor. Too high and it won’t look right. Some adjustments might be needed so have electrician put extra wire in junction box to adjust later if needed. Once those wires are cut that’s it. So that is pretty, Classic goes with anything with that finish.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Flo. I have the chandelier, two sconces in master to find! Also, will replace bathroom vanity lights. Still struggling with the ”matching problem.” If I go with champagne, what color should I use for faucets?

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

The painting is almost finished and then they will install the beam. I cant visualize the finished room.

Dont like that headboard picks up pink (can’t be seen in this picture). We have spent so much money on this project that we dont have a lot left for the fixtures, bedding, art art, etc etc😳.

• RedRyder
    last year

I love that chandelier! And it won’t be a dust collector!

• er612
    last year

Agree with others, no need to rush or settle. Here's a room of similar scale and color:

New Age Preston Hollow · More Info

I think some pattern and definitely layers would help with the bedding.

Mary McKenna thanked er612
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

So sorry. I know I made points about ensuring the fixture comes with long enough wire and to not hang it too high. You can get chain but wire is limiting factor. With that high ceiling it would be so much better hung lower. You can get this fixture rewired. You can buy extra chain you need to match existing chain. Yes, keep on painter til they get this right. On the positive side I like the lightness you have now. With art and some additional accessories you can rescue your room. If you email me at manganflo@gmail.com. I can help you find resources in your area and help you further. I do e-design all over the country, Canada and other countries. It’s fun. I don’t charge for small efforts since I am basically giving back most of the time. Not pushing, I am booked. But if I can help get you feeling better, happy to do it. 😊

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    last year

Flo,

You did tell me to make sure there was enough wire, and I completely messed that up.

I will definately send you an email. i am so frustrated and insecure about going forward. The problem with getting more chain is finding someone to do the work. But, I will try.

Here is the artwork I am waiting for. It wont be here until 9/9. It measures 37x49 and will be hung over the fireplace. Will need your help with how high to hang.😊😊

• er612
    last year

Agree with Flo in lowering the light if possible. Back to bedding, you can find affordable bedspread sets on Amazon.

William T Baker &Associates, Atlanta, GA · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

The art looks really pretty. You can also add magnetic crystals to the chandelier to give it more presence. You are suffering from designer shock. Sadly, it is par for the course if you get people who don’t do good work. The people I use have been vetted and made clear what my expectations are. I am not unreasonable but I try making things very clear up front and in writing. So, we will get you through this. You aren’t that far off. Smile, it will get better!

• husterd
    last year

I like the chandelier. When things calmer your electrician should be able to rewire and get a longer chain. You might have had to do that anyway. The art work is very nice and soothing for a bedroom. I like to see and feel bedding, pillows etc. in the store. My go to especially in August is Home Goods. Have to admit I live within 15 miles of 4 Home Goods and go to all of them when hunting, sometimes in same day. Best of all can buy a few and return them all if not right. In my experience cheaper than Amazon for better quality. Next best time is just after Xmas into January. Have a friend whose taste you like go shopping with you. If you were in MA I would do it.

• er612
    last year

The bedding colors aren't exactly right with your headboard but give you a visual. Also, rather than replacing your lamps, you can just replace the base.

Mary McKenna thanked er612