SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_lee78

What To Do About Finding A Contractor For This Situation?

B. Lee
last year

I'm an Oregon homeowner who needs repairs to the soffit + rake trim on the front, a section of loose vinyl paneling on one side, and a hole given to chronic birds-nesting, and all these repairs are near the roof's edge (30-35 ft high).

I'm afraid to hire a contractor who doesn't have insurance for working at these heights (whether that be workers comp, disability, or whatever), even if they're licensed and bonded, because I don't want to risk being held responsible for their medical expenses in case of a fall (there's nothing specific to my house that I'm concerned about, like rot or shoddy construction, and my house is not yet 20 years old).

The problem, however, is that I've lost count of the number of general contractors, gutter companies, and roofing companies that I've called who've turned down the job because it's too small for them. The only estimator that one company sent out said outright he didn't want the job but would do it for $10,000 (of course, he never bothered to write up an actual estimate).

What am I supposed to do in this dilemma? Are my only options to 1) just give the job to someone without insurance, and pray that they don't fall off their ladder and bankrupt me with their medical expenses, or 2) hire a company to unnecessarily redo the whole siding of my house just so that I can bloat the job enough to be worth their time?

PS, I've also looked into renting a boom lift for a licensed but uninsured contractor/handyman to use to safely do the repairs, but then that introduces the risk of accidental damages to neighboring houses/cars. Although, since that should be covered by their liability insurance or surety bond (right?), would that still be the best option that I'm left with in the end?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Comments (3)