SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elena_nuta

Weeping fig pruning help

Elena Nuta
last year

Hi all,
I'm back after almost a year absence.
Hoping to get some advice on how to prune this guy, before summer really sets in and I get some beautiful new growth. I know someone will ask what is my goal for this plant and I don't know exactly, I think I want it to get to a nice large floor houseplant/tree.
For some background info, I live in Canada near Toronto and this ficus is potted in a 2:4:1 mix of bark: potting mix: perlite.I don't believe I have any overwatering issues :). During the summer it lived in a south facing window and actually put out a ton of growth. I believe I've read every single one of Al's posts and have made the 5:1:1 mix but am not using it with this plant.
The second photo is taken a quarter turn to the right from the first photo. The third photo is a closeup of the branching.
I know the theory that I should remove lanky winter growth but frankly I can't tell what is winter growth and what isn't, and actually it all looks pretty lanky to me.
I've also seen advice to remove branches growing towards the middle but I don't quite understand where I should cut.. do I remove the whole branch or leave some latent buds to sprout new branches? Also if I do this, won't I end up with a "bald spot" in the middle?
Thanks!

Comments (10)