SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Weird winter for losses

I've lost some unusual things this winter. Wanted to see if anybody else was having weird results. I don’t know if it could be our dry spring, but it’s puzzling. This winter we didn't any long-lasting snow-cover to speak of, but I didn't think we had huge temperature swings or severe cold.

Thyme—who loses thyme? I lost large bulk plantings, both regular thyme and elfin thymes. Small portions seem to be reviving. We’ll see.

Raydon’s Favorite Aster—Come on, people. This aster should live forever! I’ve got some shoots hanging on, but what could have happened? My NE Aster is doing fine.

Sheffield Pink Mums—Full disclosure—they’ve been struggling for a bit. I’ve read they should be divided for longevity, but I can’t figure out WHERE to divide. The original clump dies out and the peripheral branches root. What should I be dividing?

Dianthus—a HUGE swath just completely died. HUGE. Flashing Lights and Brilliant planted together. Meanwhile, immediately beside it Bath’s Pink Dianthus looks great.

Lavender—The left half lived, the right half died. What?!

Veronica ‘First Love’—I think this one is just not long-lived

Salvias—I have a huge bare patch now where I used to have a mix of blues and pinks.

Baptisia—Already two years old! This plant should not die. I’m thinking maybe the dogs dug and killed it.

Did you all lose anything?

Comments (17)