SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Help I.D. this bush / tree please

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

Can someone please identify this plant, its in zone 5, Ontario. Blooming in May now with very small yellow somewhat trumpet shaped blossoms attracting bumblebees, once saw hummingbirds on it. Need to know how tall it can grow. It definitely needs pruning, planned it for the fall.

Comments (12)

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

Looks like it might be a weeping peashrub (Caragana) where the understock is trying to take over.

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you arbordave. I just looked up weeping peashrub. The leaves and blooms sure look like it, but there is not much weeping about our tree. All winter while the branches were exposed my husband did not really like this tree because of the gnarly and almost distorted looking branches, except for the center ones which seemed to shoot straight up, like a pole. They are now responsible for the tall look.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

I'm assuming that the shoots growing vertically originate from the understock, and the gnarly distorted branches are the variety that was grafted onto the "standard" (understock). The older gnarly branches may be a weeper or some other dwarf/compact variety. See this link for an example: C arborescens pendula

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

Just posted more pictures. One of the pics shows the vertical straight shoots ( all healthy bark) growing out of the main trunk (w. cracked bark), about 3 ft. from the ground up, below the area where the main trunk gets all twisted and shows more cracked bark. The understock is still small, has same leaves as the rest of the tree. I wanted to find out first the type of tree before deciding its fate: if to cut it all out, cut just the undergrowth out and discard, or offer the young shoots to someone. Or cut off the whole big tree and leave some of the bottom shoots. The picture with the bee shows some blooms well.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

It looks like the older grafted portion has a fairly substantial crack in it, and it may be better in the long run to remove the whole thing, although the foliage on the grafted portion looks reasonably healthy. If you prefer the more horizontal growth of the grafted part, and the crack doesn't look too deep, you could cut the vertical shoots coming out of the understock (as well as the suckers at the ground level), and see how it responds. Any growth that originates below the graft point (including the basal sprouts) will have the wild type upright growth habit.

Edit: I'm making the assumption that everything below the graft point (both the roots and the standard) are in fact the same plant (common Siberian peashrub). But I'm not absolutely sure that's how they are produced by the grower.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    last year

I would at least prune out those straight shoots and everything below the graft and give the tree another look before you decide to dig it out.

Once all the rootstock foliage is removed you may find that the tree has an interesting shape and would be worth keeping, you never know.

I'd want to know what it really looks like before I decide- right now its true shape is hidden.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

All winter while the branches were exposed my husband did not really like this tree because of the gnarly and almost distorted looking branches,

==>> you tell this dude.. that peeps bay doubel or triple.. for the gnarly plants ... and that you are going to take away his man tools if he ever sets foot near any of your prime plants again ... and dont let him get away with claiming such ignorance.. just to get out of doing some work for you in the garden ....

now.. whether this plant have any life left inn it... thats a different issue ... im thinking it might be time to get rid of it..

the basal shoots indicate the top of the tree is in bad shape.. and that is supported by the water shoots also trying to take over the plant ...

it is too big a tree.. planted too close to the house..

so with all that going on.. id probably vote for removal ... though it would be a good tree to learn how to prune on ... remove it now. or in 3 years.. whatever.. tree time is counted in decades;.. so no hurrry regardless ...

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

It is an interesting species with an architectural winter shape, wildlife value and which is clearly happy in that spot. I see no reason at all to remove it. Suckers do not indicate it is ‘in bad shape’. It is not too close to the house and it is never going to grow much taller. Remove the suckers and the straight pole like growth, stop pruning the weeping stems into a pudding basin so it can weep properly and you’ll have a great plant which is a darn sight more fun than the usual boring front garden shrubbery, especially given the relatively restricted choice for your climate. I suggest you google the cost of buying a one of these new if you remain unpersuaded of its value. You’d be looking at £300 for a small one here.

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

We are grateful for all this input as we bought this property recently, just learning what is what, and what needs to be done.

I quite like this shrub, the birds and bees seem to like it, and hubby is getting used to it. So, we are in favor of pruning this shrub and see from there. My understanding is that pruning should be done either late fall or early spring.

But if you tell me that the suckers and the straight poles can be removed now, we would get it done sooner rather than later..

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

Yes, you can do it now if it’s just the sucker growth. Looks as if the previous owners were responsible for the pudding basin haircut. If you just stop doing it the weeping habit will eventually recover.

• doriswk
    Original Author
    last year

its O.K. to just remove the suckers at the bottom now, but not the straight poles -water shoots?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I’d do both now. But you’ll need to repeat occasionally to keep on top of unwanted growths.