SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Healthy Eating, Weight Loss & Fitness Progress Week of 5/29

Funkyart
last year

This weekly thread is a place for us to share our progress and challenges with eating better, increasing activity and losing weight.

How are you doing? Feel free to share your motivations, your struggles and your successes. Do you have any healthy recipes or products to share with others? Tips to increase activity and stay motivated with exercise?

Comments (89)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

My MO for eating out is portion control. I usually take just a corner of DH's bread to taste it. I order what I want, but before I even taste it, I divide it on my plate into 1/2 or 1/3 of what they brought and take the rest home. But dessert? Who can resist? I usually split that too with DH. Of course I so seldom eat out any more that it doesn't really matter. And when you get used to normal portions, restaurant portions can be so ridiculous....dinner in a serving platter, dessert on a dinner plate...it's crazy.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

restaurant portions can be so ridiculous.

This! I always say to DH, if I served you that at home you'd put it in the middle of table and assume it was for the family.

• Related Discussions

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/19

Q

Comments (35)
    PricklyPC, I am having an issue that I now have to wear belts dramatically cinched on my "fat pants" but also regaining the ability to wear some of my other pants. I'm really having trouble because I need a few new clothes but can't decide whether to buy my thin size or fat size. I have always been on the border between two sizes . . . so it depends on the cut. But before my weight loss, I was finding myself firmly in the higher size. I don't know which way I am going to swing over the long run . . . I know for sure that I have to keep my weight down for health reasons, so hopefully that will motivate me to keep saying "no" to so much food . . . it's no fun, but then neither is being sick all the time and being in the hospital for all these invasive procedures.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/26

Q

Comments (51)
    Late to the party. My weight has been in flux this week. Started the week out 1lb up but now that it's Friday I'm 1lb down, so hopefully I'm either unchanged or 1lb down overall. Trying to stay strong during the weekdays, having healthy meals and avoiding any alcohol. Though to be honest, this has been the kind of week that makes me want to have a cocktail pretty badly. I have been great with cardio this week. Swimming or running every single morning and trying to push myself during the workouts. I am really struggling to find the time to prioritize lifting weights. I've only gotten 2 lifts in this week and I should be at 4. I've been really sore from swimming and running and that's probably impacting my motivation to do it. Had some really exciting non-scale victories this week. My favorite smallest size jeans from 8 years ago fit again! I was not sure I would ever fit into them again but they fit. And every single pair of older shorts fits again too! It feels great to be able to grab some old favorites out of the closet and wear them. Then I had two separate people tell me that I looked great. I know I shouldn't be worried about what others think, but it was nice to feel like finally someone other than myself could see the progress. Thank you for the accountability and support that these posts bring. I love hearing all the successes and what you use to motivate yourselves and stay on track. It really really helps.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 8/21

Q

Comments (40)
    Ah Jill.. you have been through a lot in these last few months. Give yourself some grace! You lost the stress and vacation pounds and you are totally back on track. Glad the videos not only make you feel accomplished but that they are elevating your spirits too! I wanted to take a minute to thank you all for the kind words for hitting my 50lb loss milestone! It has been kind of weird though and I want to share it here in case anyone else has experienced the same ... So first off, the milestone passed without me even realizing it. It was almost a whole week before i knew that last week's loss took me over the 50lb mark. I do track my weight a few times a week but the default view is the last 30 days. Anyhow, that may be part of the reason that I just don't feel excited or proud or well... anything actually. I am looking forward and eager to chip away at the next 50 -- I am confident and committed. It's not that I feel anything negative or self-sabotaging. I just don't feel especially proud or like this was an achievement. I want to be clear-- I am not upset or looking for support or more kudos LOL, You all have been great and encourage me in so many ways. It just seems odd that hitting the milestone itself just didn't spark any reaction from me. I guess that's fine as long as I stay motivated. Have any of you experienced the same?
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 2/5

Q

Comments (18)
    " I’m coming up on my year anniversary with my CGM and my nutrionist. I thought that would be an end for me. I pictured some before and after one year success post. But I realized I’m still on a path and learning, still a work in progress, so I’m going to continue with both. It’s working for me. The knowledge and accountability are really good for me, and like the quote goes- “I’m worth it”😀 My health is worth it. " @legomom23 this really resonated with me this morning. I didn't think I'd be "done" by now but I definitely had visions of being closer to my target weight, stronger and just more generally healthy. My BIL's heart attack really brought home the message that there is no "done". It's a lifetime commitment. BIL was never overweight and is always active. If he can have a heart attack, any of us could. I do recognize that there are a lot of factors at play-- including genetics-- but I am going to do all I can to better control my eating and my weight. I am not happy with where I am today-- sure, I made some good progress and I am not going to sniff at that... but I am not going to let myself coast anymore. If I am honest with myself, I have been coasting for at least 4 months. I have been ok with "mostly healthy" which has allowed me to justify some major deviations. I need to accept that "mostly healthy" isn't good enough if I want to get to a healthy weight ... and that means many more vegetables. I have been more "hungry" this winter... but have I really?? I think I have been bored, prone to indulgence and have had a need for comfort. Those aren't hunger issues. They're issues to manage in my life.. not my diet. Legomom, I think we have both responded well to the volumetrics approach to eating. Fill up on the good stuff. I enjoy eating like that ... and I don't have any real excuse for why I stopped. The other thing I have noticed is that when my healthy behaviors took a dive.. so did the quality of my sleep. Diet pepsi didn't help either LOL. Now that I am moving back to a healthier routine (and not drinking DP), I am sleeping better! It makes such a difference in my day.
    ...See More
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Eating out for lunch was one of the best dieting things for me. The restaurants I like don't serve huge portions. I could enjoy whatever I wanted and then be sated and happy the rest of the day having only a salad with a little protein for dinner and fruit or dark chocolate for something sweet. No breakfast for me, and one or two bites of a restaurant dessert suit me fine.

Plus I have realized my old social schedule kept me in check so much. Dressing properly and dressing up are fine motivators. Normality is almost fully here, hence I bought a body-con LBD the day before yesterday to help motivate me. It worked yesterday. We'll see about today.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I will circle back and read the NYT article -- but I am glad to see some recognition that there is a genetics component to obesity and weight issues. I don't bring this up anymore because when I have in the past, I had many responses saying it is literally just calories in, calories out (some more gentle than other lol).

I generally eat a healthy diet.. I am not as active now as I was when younger/didn't have a vision disability.. but i have always, ALL my life struggled with weight. This despite being an athlete when younger (competitive swimming, field hockey, softball and a wide range of non-competitive sports like hiking, running, kayaking etc). I ate and still eat much less than my siblings and friends-- and often healthier options. I am not going to say that I never overeat-- I do but it isn't a regular pattern. I do enjoy mayo, half and half, pastries-- but i am mindful of them and do not consume to excess. I don't love sweets, i don't eat chocolate and no ice cream (or much other dairy).

I can't tell you how many times in my life I have asked .. why do *I* struggle with weight when I have better eating and behaviors than those around me?

My maternal grandparents were both overweight .. and i have inherited the bad thyroid from my grandmother and her mother. I was first diagnosed as a teenager-- thus far none of my siblings have the same.

I am not looking for an excuse-- I DO have behaviors that can be improved but the "why me's" and self doubt do cut into my motivation. I do want to lose weight to LOOK better .. and to FEEL better .. and to extend the length and quality of life so I keep with it. Still, sometimes it feels like a battle i am destined to lose. I need to fight that feeling at all costs because that is what makes me backslide. I recognize I need to cut my calories more than others (i lose best at 800 calories-- but that's not happily sustainable for a year or more). I recognize that *I* lose more with increased exercise and activity. I like the idea of focusing on sustainable behaviors-- I don't have a goal weight right now so this fits right in with my vision for the coming months/years.

Thank you Mtn for sharing the article and your experience.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Zalco, IME, the more upscale the restaurant, the smaller the portions, and vice versa. We don't have a ton of upscale lunch options unfortunately.

• blfenton
    last year

Well I wanted to lose 3-5 pounds so I have lost 3 of them. But on the initial thread I'll just remind that in 2009 I lost 40 pounds and have kept it off. When I go 5 pounds over I get right on top of it. At my age I can't add more exercise nor do I want to do so. (run 4-5 times a week, hike twice a week, walk my sons golden 3 times a week and do strength gym with a trainer twice a week)

So addressing calories is the only thing I could do in 2009 and I lost the weight over 9 months. I was 56 and it was leftover baby weight from my second who was 20 at the time.

There are 3500 calories in a pound so divided by 7 days I needed to find 500 calories a day that I didn't need. I didn't need that mid morning snack but I was rewarding myself for going for that run so I deleted that. I was eating dinner leftovers for lunch so I stopped that and made a specific lunch appropriate meal. I do get hungry at around 4:30 and I changed those cheese/crackers for a piece of fruit instead. Oh and no more cookies after dinner. Fortunately we're not dessert eaters. Those were my 500 calories that I didn't need. I try to stick to around 1600 calories a day.

My weight crept up because I went back to the cheese and crackers and so I've gone back to fruit for the afternoon. I don't like fruit so don't eat much of it which I did want to improve on so doing this helps.

My other goals were less coffee and more water. The water I'm improving on but the coffee - still an ongoing battle. I do like my coffee.

last year

I have four children. You could see who would be a string bean from day one and who would need to be more careful. Same diet for all four. Same activity levels. Different results. I have two of each kind.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

LOL, Zalco, I had the same insight from my children, who have three different body types. It really is eye opening.

last year
    last modified: last year

My favorite lunch place is not particularly upscale. It's a French brasserie type place, very middle of the road.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@blfenton it used to be that coffee (black, unsweetened!) and tea weren't counted towards your water intake -- but that has somewhat recently changed. While they are mild diuretics, it was reported that the body could still pull out maximum hydration.

I researched this myself because I was consuming my unsweetened iced tea easily-- but struggling with water.

I do suspect pure water is still more beneficial but regarding hydration your black coffee and my unsweetened tea are good enough. So "they" say.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

Thanks for starting this thread!
    I’ve been trying to be “better” the last month or so, after hitting a low (back to my pre pregnancy) weight a few years ago- 22 years after giving birth to my second child at 46- and gaining it all back during the lockdown portion of the pandemic, sitting around the house eating eggs and toast every day (that seemed to be my item of indulgence) put the pounds back on fast.
    I’ve been low carb for about 15 years and that’s easy for me; I just feel better and lighter not eating white food. I eat lots of green vegetables and fruit, nuts and fish, red meat rarely and chicken occasionally. Full fat yogurt occasionally, half and half with coffee daily. I eat a lot of soups and salads. Some days I do my version of a fast, which is all liquid foods like soups, yogurt, etc.- my own silly invention:) but it does seem to kickstart my metabolism and motivation. I generally am not hungry for food until early afternoon, and I’m hungry at night. Late night snacks are a temptation. I drink alcohol only socially, almost always wine, and not much of that.
    I do splurge when I eat out- I order /eat whatever I want- although I’ve noticed I’m somewhat less tempted by sweets than I used to be, and definitely get full faster these days; as I’ve gotten older it’s easier to remember how physically unpleasant it feels to overeat, before I stuff myself.
    I don’t drink enough water and making myself exercise is a struggle. I wish I enjoyed sports, but never have. I do like hiking.
    Before retirement from my hospital job, getting plenty of steps in was easy. Now I walk 20 minutes a day minimum, and take occasional long hikes in the hills, but I don’t always feel safe doing that solo. I take a Pilates class twice a week, and that’s helped a lot! I recently took an “Intro to Modern Dance” class and that was discouraging! Although the teacher could not have been more supportive, I just could not remember the choreography- I was the very worst one, and the oldest by decades (I’m 71). I was proud of myself for persisting, but maybe I should have tried it many decades ago, when my brain and body were more compliant. Maybe I’ll just put on some music and dance around the house:)
    This morning I got on a scale for the first time in just ages and I liked the number I saw, yay! I now plan to weigh myself weekly. My clothes fit a bit better and I have more energy. I really hate feeling bloated and when my clothes are tight, and I can’t wear certain things. My waistline has gotten bigger the past few years, my clothes fit differently, and I don’t like that! But I DO try to be kind to myself and give myself credit for what I’m doing right.

• l pinkmountain
    last year

Yes, I am so much now about having goals for what is realistic for your body. I really hope that there will continue to be more available options in all categories of taste in life to accommodate the fact that humans are diverse. That goes for style of clothes and weight just as much as home decorating. When I was a teen, I idolized certain body types in teen fashion magazines and among my peers. It just wasn't me though, and was not realistic for me. Not to mention that many models are naturally thin and just have breast augmentation to give the total look. And many live on cigarettes to control their appetites to a minimum of calorie intake. The taste of fashion designers is not always very practical, and thankfully there are more diverse people working in the field with a wider variety of aesthetics now. I'm naturally pear-shaped and now I can accept that. In fact, ironically, when I do lose weight, seems like a lot of the inches are just lost in my "chestal area" . . . not my butt and hips. That's just genetics. So it is very important to create goals that are positive for your body type. And also, everyone's metabolism is not the same, and yes, some people are genetically built to put on weight. These genes come in extremely helpful in times of famine, which were common throughout most of human history. The whole gamut of preserved and processed foods just wasn't out there for most of human history, so most of us aren't programmed to eat such lush food offerings. It does seem sometimes "spartan" to dial it down, but I prefer to think of it as "prudent." Works for me. I'm the same way about a lot of things. Sure I can admire a convertible, enjoy taking one out for a spin, but it just isn't going to work with my lifestyle, and if I got one, I know I would either use it and hate it over the long run due to futzing with all its downsides, or just have it take up space in my garage. So, I'm the same way with food. It's nice to see it all out there, maybe taste once and a rare while, but I just don't have a "cake" lifestyle. Luckily I quite like bean gruel . . . in a totally different way . . .

Edited to add that the joke about "bean gruel" refers to one of the Noom recipes I made last week, "Red Wine Braised Lentils." Hubs hates lentils. I thought it was good, but I had to eat all the leftovers, so quite a few meals . . . I always tell hubs what I am making for me and he is free to make whatever else he wants for himself. Sometimes it feels like he'd rather complain about what I make. He was not like that when we first started living together, claimed he loved vegetarian food and my cooking . . . I have limited myself to one dairy and one meat per day at the most, for the cholesterol.

• legomom23
    last year

So, I'm doing something different this weight loss go around. I have tried and succeeded a couple times to lose weight, but other times, no luck. The last couple times I truly counted calories in and out, I did not lose weight, even with a deficit. So, I went out on a limb and privately paid to start wearing a continuous glucose monitor and hire a nutrition coach. It was really eye opening - my fasting glucose and A1C were both in acceptable ranges - but some of the food I was eating was causing huge spikes. I learned a lot about what I personally really shouldn't eat in the way I was eating it before, even things that were considered healthy - like steel cut oats and wheat bread, beans, and most recently, watermelon :(

I've been doing it about 3 months and I've lost about 12 pounds. I was traveling about 1/2 those weeks too, so I think it was pretty successful :) But I look like I've lost more than that - less bloating, face puffiness, etc. I have about 25 more I'd like to lose - so I'm still at the beginning of my process, but I've made a lot of baby steps. Changing into a more healthy life style for me and my particular body and metabolism. And I've started reading and listening to a lot of podcasts and books and blogs that focus on the quality of the ingredients we eat, the harm that some calories can do to your body, even if the calories add up to the same number.

So, I'm watching glucose numbers and counting minutes of exercise, and I very well could be in a calorie deficit, but I'm not hungry or sad, or tired. I feel good.

I was getting into the bad habit of too much meat and cheese to keep myself even, so this month I am challenging myself to eat 30 different plants per week to try to expand the health benefits of food. I'm at 17 so far this week.

This is the group I am using for my CGM - levelshealth.com - they have a great blog and podcasts and an interesting group of "experts" that write and speak about a lot of health issues.

Just thought I'd share - I'm like the new church convert trying to spread the word :)

last year

I made this dish from the NYT tonight. It was fabulous. I upped the mint, and lemon zest, and was probably more generous on the tomatoes too. I served it with basmati rice (just a little for me) and roasted asparagus. It was easy to prepare and uttelry fresh and delightful. I used cod, btw.

I mention this here because the recipe seems pretty cheap calorically to me.

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Zalco, that does look good-- and thank you for sharing the recipe. I think one of the hardest things when watching calories is the boredom that sets in with salads and the protein-veggie plate. A vibrant flavorful dish is the key to keeping things interesting!

• jojoco
    last year

I recognized something new in me today—hunger! I’m paying attention to it and eating to quiet it but not put it into a coma. lunch today will be avocado toast and dinner (at work) will be caesar salad with shrimp. I am down four lbs.

Most of my family, immediate and extended, looks like me weightwise. my kids are thin as are my parents and siblings. My recent weight gain goes against our norm. Thirty percent against it Im sensing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I was pleased with myself this week, food-wise. I had a plan and stuck to it. I didn't have an exercise plan, and i stuck to that too. LOL

I have not weighed myself because I didn't want to see my starting number. I know that will rob me of some pleasure (I hope) of seeing it fall. I am up in Maine now but will probably weigh myself next week as I like to use only one (holy) scale since they can vary.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

So glad to hear you guys are doing well and feeling good about your progress.. that's super!

Jojoco, 4lb is great! I won't report my losses for the week until Sunday-- but so far, i am down .02 lb lol. So discouraging-- but i find my losses tend to jump. Nothing, nothing, nothing and then 2lb.

Mtn, isn't it funny how we always want to weigh on the same (holy) scale, same time of day, as little clothing as possible? I accidentaly weighed myself with my bose headphones yesterday and wanted to go look up how much they weigh (0,98 lb),

I think sticking to a plan is a big part of repeatable, continued success... but i am realizing that calorie tracking kind of pushed me into a false plan/pattern. Pre-tracking I often didn't eat until 2pm, 3pm .. now that I am tracking, I am thinking about food all freakin day. I am acting like lunch is a necessity... and i think i am eating more than i was pre-tracking. So I am ditching the tracker.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Tracking is tough one; it can turn mindfulness into obsession.

I think planning might be better than tracking.

• eld6161
    last year

Mtn, I agree. Only in the very beginning of WW did I track my food. It does make you more mindful, though.

Planning is key. When dining out, I always peruse the menu and usually know what I am going to order going in. I'm good with my lower caloric choices but can also look forward to a bite or two of DH’s entree.

I do usually treat myself to one cocktail. And like Annie, DH and I will split a dessert if we are in the mood.

last year

I am down two pounds. My new dress strengthened my resolve., that and having lots of vegetable prepared and ready to fill me up.

Tracking food is a no-no for me. It works for a while, mind you, but I become obsessive and miserable in no time. And once I am miserable, I fall off the wagon.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I become obsessive and miserable in no time. And once I am miserable, I fall off the wagon.

Exactly!

And congrats on 2lb! You're going to be rocking that bodycon dress!

• jojoco
    last year

Funky, those 4 lbs arent just from one week. Probably closer to 2.5 or maybe three. But I'll take it.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

STILL.. it's great @jojoco! Hope you are starting to feel the benefits of the lower weight!

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Unfortunately my progress on the weekend was turned around with some social eating over the holiday weekend. But after my 2 fast days this week I'm back on track, so I just need to keep focused and eat healthy over the weekend. I'm thinking of making Baked Tandoori Tofu and Veggies tonight. I love this recipe. I make it with tofu, but the recipe also has a chicken option. And I usually skip the rice and just make tons of roasted vegetables with the tofu.

https://www.feastingathome.com/sheet-pan-tandoori-bake/

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I'd skip dinner for a homemade lemon bar!

Speaking of bargaining-- I realized I am close to finishing 3L of iced tea today -- a win, because my water/iced tea consumption isn't always consistent or sufficient. So I bargained with myself and decided: if I finish 3L water/iced tea, i can have 2 low calorie cocktails. I normally drink vodka & club soda so pretty low cal as drinks go. This will just keep me motivated to stay hydrated.

• Sueb20
    last year

Funky: last week I made a yummy drink. berry selzter, vodka, and a splash of strawberry puree (found at whole foods in a small bottle).

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Oh that sounds really nice-- was it you who recommended deep eddy flavored vodka? I have been doing the lemon or the grapefruit with club soda and blackberries.. or regular vodka with the berries and club soda too.

Ive pitched this before but I also likeRamona wine spritzersand they are only 90 calories. They are very refreshing (I like the grapefruit-- blood orange was meh. My sister says the lemon is surprisingly good too). They are hard to find here (we have state-controlled liquor stores) so I mail order them :)

I don't really drink much anymore -- but i have been enjoying evening cocktails again a few nights a week. Usually 1.. no more than 2 so easily fit into my plan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I weigh in once a month and took off 2 lbs in the last month. Not really trying, but just didn't have the bad stuff around as much as the prior month, so that helped. I'd love to be down another 5 lbs....but that's always the case.

• Sueb20
    last year

That wasn’t me who suggested the deep eddy vodka, but I did just buy Absolut raspberry vodka!

• Feathers11
    last year

Thanks, Funkyart, for continuing these conversations.

@chinacatpeekin wrote:

I recently took an “Intro to Modern Dance” class and that was discouraging! Although the teacher could not have been more supportive, I just could not remember the choreography- I was the very worst one, and the oldest by decades (I’m 71). I was proud of myself for persisting, but maybe I should have tried it many decades ago, when my brain and body were more compliant.

No, no, no! You're an inspiration in those classes. I recall a yoga class I took when I was in my late 30s. It was me, some other youngish women in cute yoga tights, and an older man in basketball shorts who struggled and was clearly the outlier. We had a wonderful instructor who incorporated his needs into her instruction, and he explained he was there trying to improve his health issues. His bravery and vulnerability were such an inspiration to me. Since then, I don't shy away from physical challenges (that wouldn't clearly land me in the ER). My kids have witnessed me do many activities, both taking into account my age but not letting it be a deterrent. My future grandkids will witness the same. Please don't stop pursuing your interests--you need to keep reminding younger generations that interests and learning and curiosity are not halted by age. Keep going.

Regarding my progress, I've had a stressful and emotional week, but it reminded me again the importance of weighing myself daily. Doing so allows me to identify what promotes inflammation. I can gain 5 lbs overnight based on what I eat, and I know the culprits. I've also done a lot of walking this week (15+ miles) but relaxed on weights, and I can see and feel it.

Funkyart thanked Feathers11
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Hmm, I might try weighing in once a month. Random variations in the scale can really impact my motivation, even though I know better!

• jojoco
    last year

Chinacatpeekin, I have been taking Tai Chi classes for about 4 mos (sporadically though due to work) I am 100% the worst in the small class. But, like a yoga class, It’s MY practice and i feel mentally great after each class.And people who take Tai Chi (and dance classes I imagine) are pretty supportive. Hang in there!

• eld6161
    last year

I could never weigh in once per month.

It's the first thing I do each morning. It sets the tone for my intentions for the day for what I will eat.

I'm on maintenance. For me, it's easier to lose 1/2 pound than 3 or 4.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I do the same, Eld.. well, most days. I am not on maintenance but it does help to set my intentions for the day. The natural ups and downs can get to me but I know they are normal.

I have seen such a big change in my "appetite" since I stopped counting calories which made me think about food all day long. It's all in my head of course-- but I have just not been nearly as hungry the last two days. I am still aware of calories-- but i am not a slave to them now.

Would love to see some more low calorie/healthy recipes you all are enjoying.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support- I really appreciate it! My dance class doesn’t start again until August, but in the mean time I’m going to look for a stretching/ floor exercise class and perhaps a Tai Chi class- great idea.
    I weighed myself yesterday and I was down two more, yay!

last year

With respect to 70 year olds and exercise, those are the women who keep me out of the pool at Masters Swimming at Stanford. They are not inspirational. They are intimidating, and fierce. They lap everyone. They also sprint up our hiking trails like it's nothing. And watch out for their serves in tennis, they hit your toes with great force ;-)

All this to say, I am wary of infantalizing older people.

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I have quite a few friends like that- older than I am. I will say they didn’t start swimming in their 70s, they’ve been master swimmers for decades, and they are super strong!

• lucillle
    last year

I lost a LOT of weight this past year. Then for some months just maintained. I'm trying to lose more now and have started using a stationary bicycle 45 minutes a day.

I also discovered the perfect dessert for lunch or dinner, 1 cup of blueberries and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. It satisfies my dessert needs without spiking my glucose, and is only about 200 calories. If you use frozen berries and microwave them for 30 seconds, they remain partially frozen and take longer to eat, increasing your enjoyment.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Congratulations, Lucille on your major progress last year! You must feel great!

Glad you found a treat that works for you-- I have been loving on the raspberries adn blackberries lately. I don't often want sweets but I do appreciate a treat. I tried caramel rice crackers but I find them a little too easy, too addicting. Watermelon has been a great afternoon snack a few days a week .. and i am patiently awaiting stone fruit season for the juicy peaches and plums.

• gsciencechick
    last year

I am traveling for my sister and BIL’s 50th anniversary (not looking forward to airplane flight) but bonus is I get to do the Zumba classes in person, so I am very excited about that, too. The one instructor is only teaching one Sunday per month in the summer and she picked when I’d be there.

Next week a major heat wave is coming here. Luckily I workout int he morrnings, our deck is pretty shady then, and I have an industrial fan. I can use the TRX over the French doors and then I have the small dumbbells.

I’ve been enjoying my Bob’s Red Mill oatmeal this week, so that was a good step to get back into that.. It really keeps me full until lunch. Ordering more healthy items for home lunches.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I just finished my bob's red mill loaded up with raspberries and blackberries! I don't really want or enjoy breakfast but over the past few weeks, I think I have determined that i do better/lose more when I have breakfast -- even if it is later in the morning (i am up very early). I think it must spark my metabolism or something. We'll see, today was the first I went back to breakfast.

• l pinkmountain
    last year

Very depressing middle of the week. First, I had to "purge" for a colonoscopy. So on Wed. I only was allowed to drink, and my calorie intake was under 300. Then the day of the procedure, I only ate 916 calories, so my two-day total was just over 1200. And yet when I stepped on the scale this morning, I had gained almost two pounds, erasing almost three weeks of dieting. I know it is just a temporary spike, but of all times, this would not seem to be the day I would spike like that.

It is also depressing that weeks of dieting can be erased in two days. Imagine if I had eaten a lot those two days! It just drives home the point to me that it is going to be very difficult for me to lose a lot more weight and keep it off. I'm happy I stopped gaining and my clothes still fit, but I really wanted to lose about ten more lbs . . . and keep it off. It's clearly not my calorie consumption . . .

I also got depressing news on the gut end. Well actually not just the end, the whole GI system. I have acid reflux, even though I had no symptoms, but it has affected my esophagus. I have gastric ulcers (probably payback from using so much NSAIDs for migraine) and diverticulosis. So my diet is going to have to be even more restricted. I am very hesitant to start taking acid reducing pills every single day. It seems so extreme. But I can't imagine limiting my diet much more. Well, for now, out totally with caffeine and alcohol, no spicy foods, but tomatoes onions and garlic? I don't eat huge amounts of them, but I love Italian and other Mediterranean food and they are pretty ubiquitous for that . . .

The treatment for diverticulosis is to eat more fiber, which I can hardly imagine since I eat whole grains and beans and vegetables and fruit every single day . . . more greens, boo rah! I love greens thankfully.

It's just one more frustrating thing in my life.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry to hear about the acid reflux and diverticulosis dx, Pink. I am surprised no onions or garlic-- but i do know tomatoes are troublesome for both conditions.

As for the weight spikes-- they are so annoying and unpredictable but natural. Maybe weigh only once a week? Or maybe switch to taking measurements to also track your loses/toning?

• l pinkmountain
    last year

I weigh myself every day, does not bother me, and I know there are ups and downs. But that it could go up that fast makes me wonder how secure the "downs" are . . .

I'm just at a stage where any more permanent weight loss is going to be very difficult . . . I've been at this point before, so I know it well. Not overweight, but just hovering around it, seems to be a hard spot to move from . . . I can go up or down a few lbs. but not have a set point that is seriously lower . . . and I don't have unreasonable expectations either. 145 is just barely within the "not overweight" range and 135-138 hardly constitutes rail thin . . .

I know it is an exercise thing . . . sigh.

• Tina Marie
    last year

Pink, I think you maybe have to look at it differently. You are doing what it takes to get you healthy. Years ago I was diagnosed with GERD. I also had gastric "ulcerations" (beginnings of ulcers). I was so thankful to find out the cause of my problems and how to make it go away. I really didn't change my diet that drastically, well at first, but you should be able to add things back in - if you don't go hog wild. Tomatoes are very acidic. I was never told not to eat garlic or onions. I eat alot of onions. Thankfully I have never been one for caffeine and I honestly don't care much for coffee, it's the creamer I like LOL. Coffee is also very acidic although I have read there are lower-acid varieties. I am sorry about the diverticulosis, but be glad it isn't diverticulITIS. Did you ask your dr about more fiber, exactly what he/she would suggest? Let them know how much fiber you are eating and what should you add? I would guess in a day or two you will be back down a couple of pounds. I would say you might still be holding fluid after the colonoscopy prep. Your current weight might just be your "spot", but I would consider exercise. What about walking your dog? As someone who does not like exercise, I do enjoy walking and walking a dog is even better. : ) Good luck and sorry you have had a bad week - I hope this next one is much, much better!

• jmck_nc
    last year

Pink, that colonoscopy prep is FULL of sodium. That is probably the cause of your (temporary) gain. It should come back off in a day or 2...drink lots of water to flush it out.

• l pinkmountain
    last year

Yeah, it tasted like sour, salty celery. But I thought I would be dehydrated . . . anyway more water is on my list because that is also part of the gastro treatment. I told my doctor I ate a lot of fiber, fruits, veggies, beans, whole grains. He said add more leafy greens and Benefiber. OK. I don't eat an excessive amount of tomatoes . . . or coffee, just two cups a day max. That's going to hurt, I enjoy a small amount of caffeine in the AM. We drink Sumatra and other lower acid types . . . I already had to be on a low-acid diet due to chronic cystitis. That ended my love affair with wine and tea . . . I have an "itis" prone body . . .

• maddielee
    last year

@l pinkmountain, my DH had a bad bouts of diverticulitis years ago, almost yearly. Not a single one since he started drinking one dose of a Metamucil type drink (the Target sugarless brand) every day. The added fiber before a meal also gives him the feeling fullness so he doesn’t eat as much at that meal.

Hope you find something that works for you. Don’t get discouraged.