SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
technodiabla

mixing Marvin widows/doors: Does it look bad?

technodiabla
last year

We're in design phase of a new build and considering window/door options. Our architect and contractor will propose a few alternatives but I want to understand more about our options in advance of that. We have a 12' span currently drawn as a 4 panel double slider. The ceiling is double height and there's 4 ~3' panels directly above that as well. There are also 2 other 3 panel sliders elsewhere in the home, and a total of 40 windows, mostly larger picture windows. We love the Marvin Modern line but almost certainly cannot afford it. We really really like the Marvin Essentials BUT it only comes with a 2 or 3 panel slider. The Modern comes with a 4 panel double swing door which would work fine.

My question is: Could we go for the Marvin Modern only in the 12' lower floor span and do Essentials elsewhere? Would they match or would the Modern make the Essentials look cheap? We are planning black interior and exterior. Alternatiely, is there a creative way to use what Essentials offers and still get a reasonable configuration? Would it look odd to have a 4 panel span and only 1 panel be a door? I am assuming the Modern 4 panel doors would be less costly that a 4 panel multi-slide door? Milgard Trinsic in black capstock is another option that is both less $$$ and offers the config we need. But my husband is opposed to vinyl. (until he sees the prices, that is.)

If anyone has recent pricing for Trinsic Capstock v. Essentials, v. Modern we would love some data. Thanks everyone!

Comments (18)