SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmax123

Cedar fascia dilemma with new composite deck build

We are getting our old 12x15 deck replaced with composite decking (deciding on brand currently).

But, my question at the moment is about the fascia. Instead of composite fascia piece, our builder has suggested cedar fascia to tie in with the cedar pergola and to cut down on cost. Fine.

However, I learned that he wants to place it flush with the side of the composite board (as opposed to the bottom). See Image A.

I was imagining Image B (with or without an overhang, as long as the cedar is only visible from the side). I think it's better looking and better to not have exposed cedar with the potential for debris to get in the gap, but I now understand that means we have the unsightly grooves exposed (image C).

Can we just replace the outer composite boards with ones that have solid and "finished" edging? What about the shorter side with all the grooves? Husband and I are buying the composite materials and have the list of pieces we need (all grooved). Can't we just replace the outer boards with one suitable for being outer boards?

What am I missing here?

Comments (3)