FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_tetelbaum

Is my vanity too large?

Jodi
last month

Hi, I'm in the middle of renovating my small main bathroom. New vanity is in and I hate it! Color, style, everything. Ugh. Just not what I visualized. Anyways, I will be selling it (already have a buyer) and looking for a new one.. Before I get started, I wanted to check to see if dimensions of current vanity are good or perhaps a bit too large.

It is 30" wide which I think is ok and 21" deep. Is it too deep? Would 18" be better? See pics. When standing at the sink, I am basically in front of the door entrance, and blocking door from opening if someone else wants to come in.

My previous vanity was 18" deep so I think I am just used to that. And I'm sure I can get used to a 21" one. But since I am buying another one anyways, I want to make sure I don't make any other mistakes! So what would you do? 18" to get a little more floor space, or keep it at 21?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

You say that it is not what you visualized--what was it that you originally wanted? Do you have any inspiration photos?

21" is standard for a bathroom vanity and it doesn't look like it is a problem in your room. I would think you'd close the door while using the bathroom. In addition, the bathroom really is only appropriate for one person to use at a time so I don't see the problem.

• Mrs Pete
    last month

For what it's worth, I like it, and I think it looks great with the hex floor -- but it's not my bathroom, so my opinion means nothing.

As for sizing: my vanities are 19" deep, and I find them comfortable. In a small bathroom, I'd rather have the more shallow vanity. What I would want to be different:

- 30" is a very small vanity. If this is a powder room, no problem, but if people will use this to get ready in the mornings, it's going to be uncomfortably small.

- I'd want to see some drawer storage -- a place to store a hairbrush, make up, whatever else.

Jodi thanked Mrs Pete
  • Related Discussions

Is it too late to prune my large azaleas?

Q

Comments (2)
    Even though it's preferred to trim back after flowering, you can do so at other times of the year as long as you are okay with the risks. "Like many other broadleaf plants, healthy azaleas can be pruned to within 6 to 12 inches of ground level and will respond with an abundance of new shoots growing from the old wood." (http://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.cfm?number=B670#Maintenance)
    ...See More

my recent purchase is too large for my current plumbing .

Q

Comments (6)
    If you are talking about a darn sink rack or something, and who would KNOW?? Go back to "your Houzz" and then the drop down menu with "your orders" and get the info to return whatever the heck it is.
    ...See More

Are these vanity wall sconces too large to flank a mirror?

Q

Comments (9)
    They make neutral light Edison bulbs. Look on amazon for 4000k LED bulbs if you decide to go with these sconces. But since it’s a clear shade you wouldn’t want the bulb any brighter than 40 watt. Like you said it’s right in your face. Task lighting does not need to be so bright. The other good thing about these bulbs is that the lights they emit is so clean and fresh. It’s perfect for a bathroom and applying makeup. The light is perfectly natural, not yellow like a traditional Edison or commercial like daylight bulbs. To answer your original question... 9” does seem rather deep, but not ridiculously so. If they’re centered on either side of your 32” mirror over your 48 inch vanity they would be spaced somewhere around 40-42” apart? Though the light will be shining at eye level the lights themselves will be comfortably off to the side. Now if you’re expecting multiple people to be sharing that mirror I might opt for something with a little less depth. Ultimately you have to live with it, so there’s no real rigth or wrong answer, just whatever functions best for you and speaks to your asthetic preferences. I think it could look great and function well with certain considerations taken.
    ...See More

new tv- is it too large for my space? help!

Q

Comments (31)
    Looks okay to me as is ... but it would look even better with a wider top to that cabinet and with the tv lower and w/o anything between the top and tv. You can keep the cabinet you have and still attain the wider look. Cabinet is too nice to just abandon it. IF you agree with those that suggest you need a slightly wider TV stand, simply add a top to it as deep and wide and in any material and finish you choose. [Think fireplace mantel or wide stair step or wide thresh hold board or countertop.]
    ...See More
  • Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Thanks so much for your reply! Yes, I do close the door, but I also have young kids, so there is not much privacy for me, lol.

I originally envisioned an antique looking vanity with everything else being white. But once that dark vanity went into the bathroom, I felt it was all wrong. Too dark and heavy for my small bathroom. Here is my new vision (I would paint walls rather than use wallpaper). Do you happen to know what material the counter top is?

Portola · More Info

• artemis78
    last month

21" looks fine here. You have plenty of clearance, despite having to stand in the doorway, so I wouldn't give up the storage in the primary bathroom. FWIW we are doing the same floor with a white vanity and quartz top. (Ours is a Carrara-look quartz, but the vanity we chose can be purchased with a pure white top similar to the one in your photo--it just felt too modern for our 100-year-old house.)

• PRO
    last month
    last modified: last month

Haha, I understand about little kids and lack of privacy!

So you've already sold the existing vanity and would like something that resembles the photo you posted. I would guess that the counter top in the photo is either marble or quartz. The white vanity would look great in your bathroom--the one you showed has inset doors and drawers. The doors are recessed panel (lots of folks call it "Shaker") and the drawers are plain slab. This is a very popular style so you should have no trouble finding one in your price range. Inset drawers are usually more expensive, so you could also get overlay doors/drawers. Just make sure that there is enough storage for your needs.

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@artemis78 Thanks so much for your reply! I also have an old home (140 years old actually!) and I didn't even think about that all-white counter being a little too modern for the age of my home! I also love the look of Carrara looking quartz.

I'm planning on getting my new vanity from Bertch and having the hardest time choosing the door style. Any chance you'd have a moment to take a look at the options and give me your opinion?

Bertch bath vanities - door styles

If you click on the door style and then click on "Wood & finish options available in this style" you can see what it would look like in white. I'm considering just doing doors (no side drawers) but I believe there is an option for a functional top drawer). But might also go with the one door/2 side drawers. Just doesn't look as nice but I'm sure it's more practical.

For reference, my old vanity that I have pictured is their "Osage" style and I don't like how "chunky" the paneling is.

Thanks so much!

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Thank you so much for your reply! I'm planning on getting my new vanity from Bertch and having the hardest time choosing the door style. "Alden" is their inset style but I'm not sure if it's too plain. Perhaps there is a better option? Any chance you'd have a moment to take a look at the options and give me your opinion? My home is 140 year old, so I would like something that goes with the age of the home, but my style is definitely transitional.

Bertch bath vanities - door styles

If you click on the door style and then click on "Wood & finish options available in this style" you can see what it would look like in white. I'm considering just doing doors (no side drawers) but I believe there is an option for a functional top drawer). But might also go with the one door/2 side drawers. Just doesn't look as nice but I'm sure it's more practical.

For reference, my old vanity that I have pictured is their "Osage" style and I don't like how "chunky" the paneling is.

Thank you again!!

• PRO
    last month

@Jodi personally I would get the "Alden" since I'm a big fan of the inset door/drawer style. You can't go wrong with that in white--it's classic. I would however, reconsider the all-door configuration. I have vanities with small drawers and they are invaluable for all the little items that you use in a bathroom, like makeup, brushes, medications, etc. The doors just open into a large empty space that isn't as useful except for tall items like shampoo bottles, hairspray, etc.

Unless you have another storage cabinet you could be unhappy with no drawers.

Here's my bathroom--it is much larger than yours, but each vanity has 6 small drawers, which would be even more important in a small bathroom:

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC · More Info

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC Your bathroom is gorgeous! And huge! I will have a recessed cabinet on my side wall (no space inside the front wall of my vanity for one), so I was thinking that might be enough storage. Also I believe there is an option for a functional top drawer from Bertch. But I will definitely consider getting the side drawers, thank you for your opinion. I was just thinking, with a 30" vanity, perhaps the side drawers take away too much storage...and won't look as good. But the most important thing is to be practical in such a small bathroom.

• PRO
    last month

Thank you @Jodi that extension was done a few years ago. Prior to that we had a bathroom smaller than yours that we used for many years. Our home is also old (about 95 years), but not as old as yours, and we wanted to maintain the look and feel of a Colonial revival from the 1920s, while making it livable for today.

Before we finalized the plans, I took stock of everything I needed to have in the bathroom, and made sure there was enough storage for it. I did the same thing when we renovated our kitchen. It's a worthwhile exercise to go through when planning an expensive renovation like a kitchen or a bathroom.

Jodi thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • artemis78
    last month

@Jodi, we also looked at the Bertch vanities--they are beautiful! If we had gone that route, we would have used the Alden doors, which are reminiscent of the original cabinetry doors in our 1915 house, though the rails and stiles are a bit chunkier. (Our house is a California Craftsman vs. a Victorian, though, so the original cabinetry in the private areas of the house was painted with Shaker-style doors.) Bertch ended up being beyond our budget for the project so instead we got an Ariel vanity--not made in the U.S. sadly, but I am happy with the quality for the price, and the customer service when we needed to adjust a drawer was terrific. Because the vanity is the only storage in this new master bathroom, I really wanted drawers (and specifically two sets of drawers so we could center it under a recessed medicine cabinet and easily share them) so we went with this one:

ARIEL Cambridge 43" Rectangle Sink White Bathroom Vanity Quartz Top, No Mirror · More Info

I didn't get the counter from them, though--they sell a dark gray engineered Carrara marble and this white quartz for counters, but the white felt too modern and the Carrara too gray for our color scheme. Got a marble-look quartz top from a big box store in the end, which was not at all the plan--but it ended up shipping directly from a fabricator in the Midwest and arrived in perfect condition, a surprisingly close match to the actual marble on our shower curb. Sadly still not installed though!

House · More Info

Left is the quartz and right is the real marble; we're using the green and black for the shower enclosure and hopefully also a backsplash for the counter, if there's enough left. (Not using the small green hex at all anymore, but threw it in here since it's a slightly muddier green than the subway so I wondered if it might help bridge the gray tones of the marble and quartz with the tile. In the end, decided the tile was fine on its own.) We have 2" white hex on the bathroom floor and 1" white hex on the shower floor.

• Mrs Pete
    last month

I originally envisioned an antique looking vanity with everything else being white.

I like the vanity, but if you wanted antique-looking -- yeah -- I agree that this misses the mark. I don't see anything being discussed here that actually sounds antique; I think you need something more ornate, with more curves and fancy-fancies:

But the vanity's only a part of the equation:

- I think a plain white countertop is fine; if you go too fancy, the countertop will "compete" with the vanity.

- You absolutely must have an antique-looking faucet and hardware. Maybe even wall-mounted, which makes cleaning easier.

I understand about little kids and lack of privacy!

Don't we all!

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@artemis78 Thank you so much for your reply! I love your vanity...and love that green tile! I can't wait to see it all come together. When will that be happening??

Regarding the Bertch Alden...yeah, it is a little chunky, which is why I'm having such a hard time with this decision. One of the reasons I'm going with Bertch is because they offer the shorter 31" heights. I hate tall vanities! But with my vanity being short, I worry that the Alden will look extra chunky! But maybe I'm overthinking this? I was considering Harper as an alternative. Any opinion on that one??

Would you mind sharing your source for the Quarts counter top? And also the grout color you used on your floor? I'm planning on darkening my grout and still trying to figure out what color to use.

Thanks again!!

• artemis78
    last month

@Jodi Hopefully soon...it has been a bumpy road with a lot of contractor challenges, sadly. But they are tiling now so hoping it will be wrapped up by mid-June.

Personally I prefer the Alden to the Harper, but in our case we were also matching to our home's original cabinetry (some of which is still in the house). Your house is older, so if you still have original casework, the doors may be a more ornate style. We did our kitchen about a decade ago and those cabinets were custom, so we were able to match the doors to the profile on the original cabinetry pretty closely. For the bath I just looked for something that aesthetically matched the style (though I also think it's fine to embrace modern in spaces that are clearly remodeled or--in our case--entirely new). Ours will probably end up more transitional in the end.

Our counter was purchased from HD but came from a place called Tile & Top in Chicago. (HD sells from several countertop suppliers.) We happened to get it during one of HD's not-infrequent 25% off bath sales, but when they're not on sale, the price to buy directly from the fabricator is about the same.

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@artemis78 I totally know what it's like to experience a bumpy road with contractor challenges. I have been dealing with that for over a year! I am doing an entire house renovation and it's been one headache after another!

I like your suggestion of looking at the original casework.

Do you have your grout picked out yet for your hex floors? Mine came out too light and debating on whether to darken it a medium gray or something much darker. Would love to know your thoughts!

• Karenseb
    last month

I love your floor and the oak vanity just as it is. Your room is acutally spacious looking.

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@Karenseb aww thanks! The vanity actually looks better in the picture than in person, lol. It's much darker in person. And it's funny, the picture makes the bathroom look more spacious than it actually is :)

• artemis78
    last month

Oh, whoops, forgot to answer the grout! We used Custom Building Products pewter (which was close-ish to the Maipei pearl gray that I had initially picked out, but didn't want to trek to the closest dealer for). It is their gray one shade lighter than charcoal. Here's a snippet of it (a bit dusty!)--haven't gotten a photo of the whole thing yet. We'll be using a lighter unsanded gray grout on the wall tiles.

• Jodi
    Original Author
    last month

@artemis78 Thanks for the pic! That's so pretty, I love it!

• kculbers
    last month

Jodi. You mentioned an interest in Bertch USA vanities. I have 3 and love them!!! Made in the USA !! Beautiful and great quality with soft closing drawers. I have 3. Two are sage and one is charcoal.

Jodi thanked kculbers