SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_grosmaire

Walkway/bed across front of home design

Laura Grosmaire
last year
last modified: last year

Our home has a concrete "perimeter"/walkway around the entire house. In front (beyond the entry walkway/front porch), the walkway continues with a bed. I've attached photos to show the bed design (measurements in inches). I'd like to get rid of it in its current usage as it is on the north side of the home, receives scorching hot sun from mid-June to mid-August and then is a very cool area when shaded (we are in the Pac NW). My thought was either to reduce the bed to a narrow, straight line all the way across, or to greatly reduce the area where it curves out. We would keep cross ties (needs new ties) for embankment and I was thinking of using a smallish, very light colored (white/gray) river rock to cover. We were contemplating perhaps using a large container(s) for some sort of plant interest on the far end. The house is quite long (ranch) and might benefit visually with some sort of vertical interest there (?). A consideration is that the septic tank outflow is about 3/4 of the way down and the far corner downspout needs to have the drainage improved. Dear husband has already dug out the current trap (pile of rocks at far end) and we plan to improve (french drain perhaps?). I'd love to hear peoples' ideas about possibilities/experiences!

Comments (9)