SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Roses go splat in the snow

mmmm12COzone5
last year
last modified: last year

Our recent snow stormed flattened some of my plants. In the main bed Fred Loads went to the mat with what appears to be a major crack in the base holding two of the long canes.

I watched them for a few days and they aren't wilting so we propped them up with a bunny fence. Eventually we may have to cut them off but for right now will leave them.

Winnipeg Parks had a number of broken off canes. I cleared them out and there was still large holes in the top where the snow weighed them down. I watched for a few days and tried to free the canes that collapsed into each other and then stuck together because the leaves got caught in the thorns. She still has some gaps that weren't there before but she is looking pretty good. Hope all the buds flower.

Before snow:

After snow:

The above picture captures her true color the best.

Robusta went splat.

She still looks bad but she is too thorny to put a fence around or really investigate if she has broken canes.

Hopefully she can perk up on her own.

The rest did really well. Amiga Mia had a really tall, 6'ish cane with alot of greenery on top and it bent down quite a bit but does not appear to have fractured and is starting to straighten up again.

There are at least 20 buds on this top branch so I'm glad it appears OK. I hope they all still open.

Comments (63)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Magpie,

I think it is probably the variety, Winnipeg Parks. I don't know if the other Canadians bloom early. I think this is the only Canadian I have. Here she is today. Our weather finally warmed up after the snow so more have opened.

Robusta, which is in rocks on the east side of our house, has about 8 open flowers. She is my largest bush but is still pretty flat from the snow. I'm thinking she will start throwing canes upward so the flattening may not be a bad thing in the end. She is so thorny that her canes have probably stuck together.

The next one to flower will probably be Denver's Dream or Calico Gal. They both are showing some color on the bud. I had thought it would be Amiga Mia as she had tons of buds early but they haven't progressed to the color stage. Both Amiga Mia and Calico Gal are Buck roses.

I do think the rocks have something to do with the overall good health of our roses. We don't water much and have only fertilized once per year with some miracle grow. None of our mulch bed roses thrive like they do in the rocks. For some reason the roses don't mind the extra heat from the rocks and the rocks must hold the little water that we do use well. We moved Iceberg from mulch to the rocks and it has done much better since the move. However we have lost a number of roses in the rocks as well as the mulch beds so not everything does well here. Love Song was in mulch and is now in the rocks. She hasn't done that great in either place.

I have tried to pick out different types of roses to try. Different breeders, flower forms etc. The variety of roses was unexpected by me when I first started growing them here.

At a previous house I had a rose bed that I had populated from hardware store garden centers and those were all classic florist style roses.

When we started this rose bed I did some research and went to High Country Roses to see all the different types. I probably would have put in all classic florist looking roses if I was doing a normal bed. But I considered the rock bed to not be optimum so wanted to try different types to see what would grow well.

The first year we put half the new plants in the rocks and half in mulch. The rocks half did much better and we've been adding to it ever since. We only have 3 types that we put in mulch left. Souvenir de St. Anne, Chuckles and 4th of July. They have all done poorly. There are two 30 yr old bushes in the mulch that just sort of exist, The Fairy and Altissimo.

We cut out a 30 yr old Dr. Huey in the mulch and it keeps trying to come back so that does thrive here. But it is against a brick wall and surrounded by a stone courtyard so maybe it gets more of the rock heat. We planted 4th of July in it's place and the Dr. Huey roots are competing with it. So that may explain why 4th of July hasn't thrived.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

Saw a stunning rose today while driving and thought you'd might like it. Yes I made DH pull over so I could photo it lol. It's pretty huge, and definitely not tended to (a lot of dead canes that have not been removed), maybe 8x12 ft. Each flower is like a flame. The bush looked like it was shining copper and gold in the afternoon sun, it was so eye catching. And I'm surprised to see a rose in full bloom so early here. Anyways here are the pics: (P.S Does anyone know what this is???)

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • Related Discussions

Snow, snow and more snow

Q

Comments (18)
    The last time we had any measurable amount of snow was in mid-December (about a foot). Since then, pretty much just flurries now and then. We haven't had a winter this dry for a long time. WE'RE supposed to be the Great White North, but instead, you guys are getting walloped! You may have a few more broken canes in the spring, but, like everyone says, the snow will insulate and give much needed moisture to your soil. Hope you are all o.k....be careful not to overdue the shoveling. You wouldn't want to put your back out just before spring. Judith
    ...See More

How tight to tie roses for snow load protection?

Q

Comments (6)
    I can't compare my SoCal z8 mountains with yours in duration, but we do (luckily and hopefully) get storms of 3-4' which last awhile and then go away in a month or more. To be honest, I haven't done anything with established roses. This is our 4th winter. I inherited several lanky, bushy types that I haven't identified yet that are simply just very hardy. Two years ago I brought up most of my pot ghetto and non-performers due to mildew (HTs, floribundas, grandifloras), all survived great. Well, I did get some die back on two, but turns out it was a gopher who winterized in my yard ;-) This year, I have several OGR bands that I planted in spring. GramHat & Larry Daniels are 4' tall and I have tied them loosely, don't know why, maybe I should rethink this. The rest are Back to your question on leaves. Don't know what to think about that one. My leaves usually come through ok, or some dessication on the tips, but nothing to worry about. Last year we got 4' at Christmas and 3' in maybe Feb. so they were covered for a good bit, but again, probably not like you. As far as canker, the wise advice that I got from forum members was to absolutely not mulch if you don't get a hard freeze throughout the winter as the 'melted mulch' for lack of a better term would be a breeding ground for canker. That also jived with what some of the locals told me when I moved in. I'm still getting new growth now although most nights are below freezing. Some folks up here still prune within an inch of the rose's life, but I followed the other advice up here not to prune late but wait until spring, around Mother's Day or when the forsythia bloom and it has served me well with 'cold sensitive' roses that are hit with spring freezes and new growth (not because I knew anything, but because the interim previous owners did not watering or pruning except by the dogs, so I figured best not to tamper with success of late pruning ;-) So, until we get more votes, I would just be concerned about cane breakage. Sounds like you've been there for awhile, can you tell us about problems you've had in the past? I'm anxious to see other posters comments. Oh, btw, there is a thread I started about winter support you might want to see - lot's of very clever folks on this forum!
    ...See More

Snow White and 7 dwarfs rose bed from Euro Desert roses!!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Connie, Glad to know theres others out there with the same mind frame. Have fun ordering your other three babies. OK Miss Northern Enabler, a.k.a. TJ, it sounds so adorable doesn't it. I do want to do it bad but I was so trying not to order any more roses and start filling in more with other perennials. waaaaaaaa! If only I had tons of sunny space to work with but I don't. waaaaaaa!!!! Anyways, I was wanting some more english roses so I will probably hold off for a while anyways. Hope you are doing well! Tootles, Judy
    ...See More

Snow, snow, go away...

Q

Comments (16)
    I can really empathize with you and that sweet kitty. I don't think I could live in your zone. While your compact summer is probably much more beautiful than our long drawn out one dry one, California has really spoiled me. I grew up in NY so I know what that waiting is like. Hope your spring comes soon! Kathy
    ...See More
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Magpie,

It is likely an Austrian Copper. I had one at my old house and they are stunningly beautiful. A couple of my neighbors have them and they are in bloom now.

• mmmm12COzone5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

L. Clark,

Your comment got me thinking about where else this rose would look good. It is so perfect in shape and it needs so little care that I think it would make a great hedge out front. They bloom spring through fall and don't require any winter clean up other than to take the dead flowers off.

Other side:

The way it blooms with fairly evenly distributed blooms always makes me think of the rose bushes in Alice in Wonderland. The only reason this one has the gaps this year is because of our late snow. Prior to that it was a sold ball of green with buds all over.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Had a couple more roses blooming.

Denver's Dream bloomed 3rd. It is a miniature planted 8/19. So far it has been a slow grower. It bloomed yesterday.

Today Dainty Bess had two blooms.

Winnipeg Parks is already wanting to be deadheaded.

Robusta has her usual medium number of blooms. She is refusing to unsplat so is kind of flat.

It's fun to have several roses going. Can't wait to see the flushes that are coming. :-)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

My fifth bloomer is Easy On The Eyes. Love this rose. I think it is so pretty!

A picture with the name tag:

Better picture of the flowers:

I was so impressed with her that I put some pictures of her on Helpmefind last year to encourage more people to get her. Can't wait to see what she looks like this year when she really gets going.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

I love your rocks, mmmm. The roses look so happy.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Candy Land is starting to bloom. New phone, thus new camera, so trying some things with writing on the photos.

Amiga Mia is going to be blooming up a storm shortly.

Sally Holmes is also getting into action.

Fourth of July also has a bloom.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Fred Loads opened today.

Fred Loads is wrapped in fence because it went splat in the snow.

Livin Easy also had a first bloom.

I'm pretty disappointed in the camera on my new phone. The photos don't seem as vibrant or detailed as my old phone. The best ones are extreme close ups of the flowers, like you see in the first photo of Fred Loads. I think it is using a different lens for those.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Your 1st picture is clear and Beautiful. I don't like the camera on my new phone either. Again, just like you, it takes great close ups but the landscapes not so much.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Me three, in the Good Close Ups But Bad Distance Phone Photos Club. Hmm I think we need a better name.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Vaporvac,

Yes that first one is fabulous. I was thinking of posting it on Helpmefind. Outside my viewfinder can barely be seen so I'm taking most of the photos blind. My new phone is a Moto G Stylus 5G 2022. Surprisingly all those details matter, including the year as they have so many phones with similar names. This one has the cameras so far in the upper corner of the phone that it is hard to keep your fingers off them when taking pictures or just carrying the phone.

I think my initial bad photos were because the light was reflecting off my fingers into the lenses.

I also tried all the various artificial intelligence settings. They made the phone so hot that I couldn't hold it after 5 or 6 shots. I thought it might catch on fire. So I had to reset it back to factory settings.

This afternoon I turned my husband loose on it as he can get decent Winnipeg parks photos on his Moto G Power 2021. He just got it and says it was better rated than the Moto G Power 2022. I didn't get the Moto G Power 2021 because it only had 64 GB internal memory and I wanted 128 GB. But maybe I should have.

My old phone was a Moto G7 and I thought it took pretty good pictures (with the exception of Winnipeg Parks) so I didn't think this one would be this bad.

I used my old 2013 ipad air (first version) to take a pic of Winnipeg Parks. We just can't seem to get a picture this good with any of our moto phones.

Does anyone have a phone that they think takes great rose pictures?

last year

My iphone 13 pro is pretty good.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Wow Sheila, that is a great photo! I did read the iphone 13 pro is the best. You made a great choice. It is $834 with our new carrier. I'll definitely consider it if I end up not keeping this phone.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

We downloaded a bunch of different cameras and got these pictures of Winnipeg Parks in Twilight mode (I think) on the Professional Camera app. Having trouble duplicating it. But from the saved parameters it looks like it has a very fast shutter speed.

Best I've achieved with the Moto phone. Trying to figure out how to get the right settings in the default Moto camera. The old ipad still took the better picture though.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

The roses are blooming up a storm. I ditched the new phone, it is being returned today. Put the SIM card into an old Moto Power G7 and the pics seem ok. At least as good as my old phone.

Candy Land is really impressing us with how pretty it is.

The flowers open a cream and pink. Then they turn more white and pink as they age.

Candy Land in the sun.

Amiga Mia is a gorgeous as usual.

Calico Gal has quite a few blooms.

Lady In Red has started to bloom.

Went back and got this one of Lady in Red in the sun.

Sally Holmes has started her blooms.

Easy on the Eyes is looking good.

This is the best year for Livin Easy.

last year

Fantastic! I can't get over how gorgeous all your roses look. I had Candyland but she died

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Very nice. Your roses all look so healthy

mmmm12COzone5 thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Fourth of July is looking the best it has. It was planted 4/19 and has had trouble getting established.

I really like the blooms so have been patient with it.

Souvenir de St. Anne's has also had trouble getting established. Planted 5/20.

Denver's Dream, planted 8/19 is finally getting established.

Denver's Dream flowers age very gracefully.

Iceberg is a reliable performer and add the perfect white to the rose bed.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

mmmm12COzone5 Your garden is absolutely beautiful, and you do a fantastic job with your garden design. I appreciate your posting bush-shots of roses & really help with cold-zoners like me. Your Denver's Dream is on wish-list, such a pretty orange rose.

Growing own-root roses in my zone 5a is tough. I'm more concerned with winter-survival than the number of blooms. This year it's rabbits everywhere, and I spend more time protecting my roses from rabbits than anything else.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked strawchicago z5
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks strawchicago.

Denver's Dream is interesting. In the cooler weather this spring it was more of a straight pumpkin orange. Now that the heat is here it has more yellow and a sort of dusky rose pink to it. It has finally thrown a longer cane so I'll get more pics when that blooms.

In the mean time Neil Diamond is opening his first bloom.

The bush is good size with lots of buds so should be a stunner when more buds turn to blooms.

In my next rose bed at my next house I will definitely plan things more. In this bed we just added things as we went so not much of a plan other than to leave enough room around the bushes to work with them. Mostly we were successful but it is pretty crowded in the Iceberg/Easy on the Eyes area. The whole bed does look pretty as a grouping. The scent is really fabulous and I enjoy hanging out there.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    last year

Love seeing the pics!! Mine are just starting to bud up… I have a lady in red that I planted in back!! Hopefully she’s as cold hardy as advertised!!

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Kelly,

I hope yours is cold hardy. My Lady In Red is unfortunately not at all cold hardy. She has some of the worst die back that I have. I was so disappointed as I had read she was zone 4. However, she does have pretty flowers and blooms well.

last year

Well that’s a disappointment! We have very few repeat blooming climbers here… oh well; maybe she can be grown a shrub here…

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Kelly,

Candy Land seemed to hold the most cane of my climbers. She is great at repeat blooms but the thing I most remember about her from last year is how long the blooms stayed on the bush. Great staying power!

I put my winter survival report on Magpie's thread with her report from her roses.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6266102/16-own-roots-in-zone-5#n=28

last year

Thanks for the input!!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

100 degree heat today and some roses are starting to wilt. So I cut some for the house.

Amiga Mia

Outside circle starting at 12:00 - Easy on the Eyes, Dainty Bess, Candy Land, Neil Diamond, Iceberg, Fred Loads, Dick Koster, Robusta

Inner two - Sally Holmes (white), Winnipeg Parks (pink)

Left - Pretty Lady Rose

Top - Calico Gal

Right - Lady in Red

Bottom - Livin Easy

last year

I was inspired by your rose bowls so I tried one of my own :)

Dark pink/red is Laguna (2) medium pink is Sidonie (2) light pink is Ispahan (3) and white is Mme. Plantier (3).

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Magpie, gorgeous! I love the colors together. Mme. Plantier looks like cute buttons.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Getting some great flushes.

Livin Easy front and center. Calico Gal, right back. Easy on the Eyes, left back.

Calico Gal in the foreground showing off her pompom like blooms.

Easy on the Eyes center. Iceberg on left. Livin Easy foreground right.

Dainty Bess

A close up of Dainty Bess that caught a bee in the top flower.

Iceberg

That side of the bed.

View up from Sally Holmes.

Wider view of the bed. Candy Land in the front right is a real favorite. She looks so beautiful on her trellis and doesn't send out any giant canes that need to be tamed.

Sally Holmes and Lady in Red. They both have so many buds that I don't think either of them is at peak yet.

last year

How big is Sally this year?

last year

Unbelievable! I remember how discouraged you have been in the past but all of your work has paid off. I think the stone mulch helps With the growth by heating up earlier than then Wood mulch wood. Just my theory..

last year

Wow! What an incredible landscape! Soo much space!!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Magpie,

Sally Holmes is spectacular this year. She is 8' wide, 6.5' deep and just under 3.5' tall. She was planted as a band in 6/17. This is her best year ever. She did not have any winter die back which is why she is so big. I thought she would be much taller based on her listing. Most years she dies back for at least half the bush.

Other side of Sally Holmes.

Vaporvac,

Thanks! I know you remember us running over poor Oranges and Lemons with the garden cart and probably when we roasted Robusta with the flame thrower. Maybe knocking poor Playboy's single cane off with the drip line. Or when we gave Gourmet Popcorn the boot because my dog got caught in the thorns so I had a negative association with the rose. :-)

However I'm really pleased with how things have turned out. I just kept trying to put in ones that were recommended by Matt, recommended by people on this forum, ones I saw at the Denver Rose show and ones I liked at the High Country Roses green house. It all has come together very nicely! Both my husband and I are delighted with spending time in or near the bed as it is so beautiful.

Kelly,

Thanks! We weren't sure at first if we were leaving too much room between roses as things looked so sparse. But as they have matured they have really filled in. I also like how they layer with their sizes. That wasn't planned and may not work out over time as things mature but it does look nice right now.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

I saw a Japanese Beetle on Fred Loads this morning. Ugh!

Decided to cut some flowers for the house.

The whole group:

Left Candy Land, top Calico Gal, right Chuckles.

Bottom row: The Fairy, Denver's Dream, Dick Koster

Left Fourth of July, center Lady in Red, top right Fred Loads, bottom right Winnipeg Parks.

Easy on the Eyes.

Left Livin Easy, right Robusta.

Left Dainty Bess, center Sally Holmes, lower right Pretty Lady Rose.

Left Parade Day, right Winnipeg Parks.

Center Neil Diamond, upper left Iceberg, right Amiga Mia.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Your roses are beautiful. It's been fun watching your rose garden mature into something special! Keep the updates coming

mmmm12COzone5 thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks L Clark! I'm hiding inside due to the bad air and heat advisory so having the cut roses is a real treat. :-)

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Lady in Red seems to be at peak.

Love Song is finally blooming.

Dick Koster always comes in pale for the first blooms.

Chuckles is blooming. Tends to fry so I wanted to get a pic before these fried.

Sally Holmes is looking to be peaking.

Neil Diamond is probably at it's peak. The blooms tend to fry so pulled several fried off this morning.

Above All has some blooms.

Side view of Above All.

Fred Loads needs a trellis or something. We have it wrapped in fence to support it. I love the color but not the sprawling habitat.

It is a bright, brilliant orange.

Pretty Lady Rose is looking great.

Other 2 Pretty Lady Roses.

Robusta is looking the best it ever has.

The whole rose bed.

last year

Mmmm, every rose looks fantastic!

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Above All is one of my latest bloomers. I didn't think I would like it based on the early flowers but looking at it in its flush, I'm really liking. I gave it a trellis since it was a climber but so far it is behaving like a really well behaved bush.

Above All:

Side view of Above All. Lady in Red in the background.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Gorgeous color, your Above All is on my wish list. How's the scent? You do a great job growing roses in your zone 5.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for asking the question Strawchicago. I hadn't smelled it yet since it is still low so I just went out and took a sniff. It is a pretty, light, rosy scent. We just had a sprinkle of rain so don't know if that affected it. I will smell it again tomorrow when it is dry. But I took some more photos for you.

Above All bloom clusters. I think what appeals to me about it is the bloom clusters (which I love) is how cheerful the blooms look. They look like they are having a party.

All these glowing beautiful blooms look like this under cloudy skies.

While I was out I also snapped two more pics of Denver's Dream since I know you said you liked that one also.

This second round of blooms is on the first longer canes that it has had.

The Fairy is also starting to get going. It has been a late bloomer also.

last year

I love how above all looks next year lady in red! The fairy is in notoriously late starter. Can't believe she is only starting for you now though! Everything looks beautiful.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

mmmm12COzone5 Your Above All has fantastic colors. Thanks for the info. on its scent. Your Fairy is gorgeous like an angel. Wow !! I enjoy all your roses.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Strawchicago and Vaporvac. The rose bed has been immensely satisfying. Researching roses has been tons of fun and going out to enjoy what is planted there is relaxing. Always something new to see. There isn't much work involved compared to the reward. The most annoying thing is those that have winter die back that needs to be cut out in the spring. That is why I quickly started to try and identify ones that were cane hardy for my additions and replacements. Haven't always been successful but for the most part the bed has come along quite nicely. :-)

last year

Buy personally love those low wide growers. Is there not enough space for her to have her natural growth habit or do you think her canes are too weal. It looks like a very nice rose.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    last year

Vaporvac, I think you are talking about my Fred Loads dilemma that I posted in another thread. I agree that the low wide growers are quite nice. Both Robusta and Sally Holmes have turned out that way and they look lovely. They both were put in places with plenty of room.

But Fred Loads was advertised as a tall upright grower so I put him in a place that is suitable for that. Now he keeps trying to sprawl. If we take the fence off and let him do it likely it will be very hard to dead head the other roses or walk through the bed. Might even make the whole bed look bad. My husband thinks a tall trellis is called for and we just keep tying him to it.

If this isn't what you are responding to let me know. :-) I didn't get any responses for ideas on my other thread so we only have what we have thought of ourselves.

last year

I like your idea ! That or some sort of small pillar.