SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_tetelbaum

Asymmetrical bathroom vanity or countertop? Which is better?

Jodi
last year
last modified: last year

Hello, I am renovating my small main bathroom and have a question regarding the vanity placement. This will be a simple vanity with toe kick and will be going into the corner (so flush with the left side wall). I have not purchased the vanity or countertop yet and need to plan things out.

Would I have my countertop cut so it lines up with left side of vanity (so both vanity and countertop are flush against side wall), which would make the countertop asymmetrical due to the right hand overhang? Or should I keep an overhang on left side as well and then get a filler strip for vanity so there is no gap (this making the vanity look slightly asymmetrical)?

What are the pros/cons to either of these options or is it just a matter of personal preference? If just personal preference, what would look better?

Edited to Add:

Also wondering if I should get an 18" or 21" deep vanity?

When facing the vanity, the entrance to the bathroom door is directly to my left and a little behind me. A 21" deep vanity will leave approximately 8.5 inches of space between vanity and door trim. So I am basically in the door entrance when using sink. Is that fine or should I get an 18" deep vanity to give me a little more floor space and not block the entrance so much?

I know it gets a little more restricted with 18 inch vanities in terms of finding a sink, can't have a backsplash, etc. I have a messy 10 year old so a backsplash alternative will be necessary! I certainly don't want to complicate things more than necessary, but also don't want the bathroom to feel too claustrophobic. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! I can give exact bathroom dimensions if that will be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (8)