SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

How to save a rose that is being threatened by its' root-stock

bart bart
last year

The rose in question is the glorious "Sir Paul Smith". This plant has been in place for years, big and wonderful. This fall,I worked on the ground around it a bit,hoping to help out 2 of its' neighbours who weren't doing much-Aristide Briand and Climbing Jacques Cartier. This latter rose has never done much of anything as far as flowering goes; nor has AB, for that matter. Sir PS, instead, has always been great, though it had this odd way of sending out suckers of itself (!) ; I have 3 other Sir SPs which don't do this.

Yesterday I noticed that SirPS looked awful,and went to investigate. AB had grown a lot, and is covered in buds. The wretched Clbg. J Cartier was covered in buds, too-all of which looked bull-nosed. The few flowers that were opened were ugly, proliferated, etc. SirSP, instead, was sending up tons of suckers-but this time from rootstock! I pulled these out,weeded,watered and fertilized SPS with liquid fert.- and CHOPPED DOWN Clbg JC-enough of its' nonsense!!!

So now,I'm wondering how to approach this situation further,in order to (hopefully) save SPS. I think I will probably prune back some of its' laterals (some of which seem to be dying),and obviously must keep an eye on pulling out rootstock shoots. But perhaps I also need to remove some other neighbours? Is this plant probably doomed,or can I save it with a bit of coddling? I can't do a whole lot of that,what with the size of my garden and the lack of running water.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Comments (3)