SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Drain pipe to condensate pump, is there a method to this madness?

I bought my house close to 20 years ago, and the heat pump was already here. I'm not sure if it was professionally installed or if the former owners did it (they did a LOT themselves in an effort to flip it, and most of it was done poorly).

Here's how the condensate pump is connected to the heat pump:

Please ignore the trash bag, I redneck-engineered that with the old pump because it would randomly stop pumping! This is a new pump as of today.

The question is, WHY is the drain pipe done this way?

1. You can see 2 blue stoppers on the pump. If I take out the stoppers then they're tapped holes. Should there be a drain pipe connected to all of them, instead of just the last one?

2. The white drain pipe goes down, then under the pump, then back up and in a hole in the pump. But there are two holes in the pump on the left side that go to the same place. Why run the pipe all the way around, instead of just straight down?

3. You can see that the air filter goes in directly above the condensate pump, so the drain tube is right in the way. Why is the pump in front of the heat pump, instead of mounted on the left? Or even just sitting on the floor? Literally anywhere else rather than in front of the air filter?

Is there a reason why I shouldn't move it to the left side of the pump and re-plumb the white drain pipe to the nearest hole?

Comments (9)