SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tututara

Evelyn rose surprise

Evelyn in my garden gave a spring surprise and I don't know how. It is her third year in ground and its neighbor is Life Of Party. May be that is the clue. Check this picture. It is on the lower stem.

And just one feet above I have this on same stem.

Here is picture of the plant

There are also 2 unopened yellow buds next to the yellow one.

Comments (32)

• dianela7analabama
    last year
    last modified: last year

So do you think you have a yellow sport? How exciting, it is gorgeous.

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

I will monitor to see if the color changes with time. I also have 2 yellow buds next to it.

• Related Discussions

Local trade only - David Austin Roses Evelyn & Jude the Obscure

Q

Comments (2)
    Since you are looking for a local trade I bet you'd have better luck posting on one of the local boards. There is no LI board, but few Long Islanders go to this board, Metro New York Gardening but I am betting some of the city people wouldn't mind driving for those pretty roses. Worth a try IMO.
    ...See More

DA rose Evelyn in cold zones

Q

Comments (14)
    Evelyn is a very lovely name. Jacquie, I'm sorry for the loss of your mother. I'm a bit confused about Evelyn: Predfern, zone 5a, grows Evelyn own-root. He doesn't winter-protect but Evelyn is hardy. Karenforroses in MI had Evelyn GRAFTED, but it died in the winter. I think the health of the rose has a lot to do with hardiness. Ever since someone from CA reported virused ones from David Austin, I go own-root. Rose-mosaic doesn't show up sometimes, nor is an issue with warm climate. BUT it hurts the hardiness in a cold zone. I dug up both Mary Rose and Eglantyne late in September to make the soil acidic. Mary Rose made it, Eglantyne died this winter. It came in the mail black-spot and spider-mite, a poor start. Evelyn is coming here in 2 weeks with other Austins from Chamblee Roses in Texas. Tammy posted HUGE own-roots Austins from that nursery, completed with buds & flowers.
    ...See More

Roses with a form similar to Evelyn

Q

Comments (13)
    Until just recently it seemed impossible to find a rose with both qualities. Then for us northerners we have to add hardy to the mix. Mind boggling at times. In twenty years I've tossed more varieties than most hybridizers have created. At last I've finally gotten pretty good at knowing what will and will not work here. Add that some breeders are testing roses in more environments helps a lot. My latest quest is to find a few roses with large many petaled blooms, continuous bloom, with excellent health and flowers that last a long time and will open without trouble in my yard. Ha, if you have one of those please share the name. I will do the same. I think I may have a few of these. It's to early to celebrate yet thou. This year will be a good hardiness test. Zero protection and no snow cover and hit -14 degrees F.
    ...See More

Evelyn Rose

Q

Comments (1)
    You might like to email this nursery, they have it listed. They supply excellent roses, I've used them before.. Perryhill
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    last year

I've grown four Evelyn roses for nearly 20 years, and I've never seen such a thing. If it's a sport, you own the rights to it and can sell it. I know one of the parents of Evelyn is Tamora, also peachy apricot. There must be yellow genes in Evelyn's make up. Your plant is gorgeous in all its colors. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Keep us in the loop, this is so exciting!!

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Graham Thomas is Evelyn's other parent. Bingo--yellow. But your yellow blooms are unique and not the same as Graham Thomas. I'm so excited. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Me too!!!!

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    last year

please please please do what you can to nurture it! hopefully if it's a sport it's stable

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all suggestions. I will monitor it and see if it remains stable.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    last year

Do you know how to root a cutting? you could try doing that, but I'd also worry about whatever those rose cane borers are. I'd take a cutting once the bloom is spent, dip in hormex, and then seal the pruned cane with nail polish or something to block cane borers if possible.

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

Yes. I do know how to root cutting. I will check the length of the cane tomorrow to see if it is long enough. Thanks for the suggestions on sealing the cane. I generally use wood glue to seal.

• dianela7analabama
    last year

I really really hope you have a stable sport. This is a gorgeous rose and the yellow color on that exquisite bloom is perfect.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    last year

@Tututara Zone 7 I'm going to try the wood glue--I think the green nail polish I tried is a bit garish and might be bad for the rose. I'm so excited for you!! Maybe this'll help you make a ton of money!!!

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Wow, this is really cool!

• strawchicago z5
    last year

@Tututara Zone 7 A friend grows Jayne Austin, which can give apricot bloom like Evelyn, but Jayne Austin can give very YELLOW blooms. Jayne Austin has lighter green & large leaves and more compact & dense bush, versus messy & thin & long canes of Evelyn.

How's the scent on your rose? Is it grafted from David Austin? Many people get the wrong rose from David Austin before.

Evelyn has very peachy scent, like a ripe & juicy peach that no roses among my 150 fragrant own-root can smell like Evelyn.

Here's a description of Jayne Austin from HMF:

Initial post 4 JAN 10 by Jimmy

"Jayne Austin's fragrance is strong not mild as stated in the 'description'. Every time I buried my nose inside this rose, I can detect a strong licorice smell (not my favorite smell). Some people described this smell as tea - but in my opinion, the smell is not as pleasant as compare to Graham Thomas or Teasing Georgia. I guess it's a matter of taste. The blooms are smaller than Evelyn and the leaves are thick, light green colour. Here in Australia, it wants to become a climber." Jimmy in HMF.

Below are pictures of my own-root Evelyn (from Chamblee nursery), always messy octopus canes during the 12 years I have it. Agree with Jimmy's description of Jayne Austin bloom being smaller, since Evelyn bloom can get up to 5 inch. across:

Below is Evelyn in spring. Note the reddish thorns, and smaller & dark-green leaves than Jayne Austin. Jayne Austin has lighter green leaves plus more dense & compact bush:

Evelyn bloom is always the largest one (5 inch. across) among my 150 own-root fragrant roses (34 are Austin roses). StrawChicago.

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

Good point strawchicago and thanks for all pictures of your own-root Evelyn.

I got my Evelyn from DA 2 years back as a grafted bareroot one. It didn't do much first year but last year it started sending out tall red color canes in late summer. So I put a giant tomato cage around it ( The cage is 5 ft tall with 20 inch diameter ring at the base). I tied and trained all tall canes around the rings to promote more laterals and it worked perfectly. Last year it started sending laterals on all of the tied long canes. This year I have blooms all over the bush.

I have the video of my Evelyn rose from May 2022 on YouTube: Please tell me if it is Jayne Austin or Evelyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAEH49zP8HQ

About fragrance, I will say it is still medium and not strong but .

I also have another Evelyn in my garden trained on fence and it is on multiflora root stock (got it from Reagan Nursery) which grows very well in my acidic clay soil (PH 5.9). Check this photo of hers just second year in the ground. I get same flowers as other Evelyn but with lighter color. It has the same fragrance as other one and same intensity.

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    last year

First off, congratulations! How I wish I could have grown my Evelyn to the degree of perfection that yours is. Your bush is magnificent. Is this year the first time it produced yellow blooms?

Mine, own root, grew spindly octopus arm canes that arched like a forsythia, and was growing in a perfect location, in good soil and full sun. Nothing over a period of 4 years changed. Lots of exquisite, big, long lasting, potently fragrant blooms, but on weak necks, were determined to put their faces onto the dirt, one after the other.

I like Evelyn the best of all the Austins, just ahead of Olivia Rose. Evelyn is the quintessential English Rose, and I can't grow this grand lady!

Bud sports are rare, but are occasionally encountered. An unusual, non lethal virus, may have infected a bud on your Evelyn. and hence the yellow, atypical bloom. Mark that cane, and just when the yellow blooms are petal dropping, take cuttings, just 4 node down from the bloom, from each of their corresponding canes, then try to propagate them. If the cuttings take and produce yellow blooms, you really have something outstanding.

If the new, cutting grown Evelyns show typically colored blooms, you may have had a section of the bush that had a temporary mineral issue in the uptake there on the bush..

In any event it is an exciting, educational event!

Moses

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Moses. Yes this is first year it has yellow blooms. So far I have 2 yellow ones and they are slowly fading to white with 90F temperature this weekend. I will be taking cuttings and update the progress here.

I was reading here about the growth habit of EVELYN and took advice from many of you to train it on big tomato cage to encourage laterals. Since it is grafted on Dr Huey, I had to add lime to my acidic clay soil. Adding alfalfa pellets really helped last year and it started sending out basal shoots. This year I am getting many basal shoots on my other Evelyn (one on multiflora).

• rosecanadian
    last year

Oh my goodness!!! This is SO exciting!!! You are really growing Evelyn so well...and this (hopefully) sport is gasp-worthy!!! :) :) :)

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Tututara Zone 7 I watched your YouTube of "Evelyn" (grafted from David Austin) and it looks exactly like another YouTube of Jayne Austin (climber with pinkish or yellow blooms & lighter leaves). See below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E7ZKZHu0jU

Your 2nd pic. of Evelyn from Regan Nursery looks more like my Evelyn bloom-wise. It's known that own-root roses have MUCH STRONGER scent than grafted. My Evelyn's first bloom more than a decade ago was SUPER STRONG peaches, knocked my socks off.

Below own-root Evelyn has strong scent of ripe peaches regardless of weather and soil pH. Noseometer in New Mexico also raved about his Evelyn's scent of awesome peaches. Evelyn is known to throw octopus cane (blooms only at the top), versus Jayne Austin blooms throughout the bush & medium tea scent.

My own-root Evelyn is never a climber even when it threw 3 feet canes and always blooms AT THE TOP OF THE CANE ONLY.

In regard to your 2nd Evelyn (grafted on multiflora from Regan), the growth is more like a climber with blooms coming from lateral branches. I don't think being grafted on multiflora makes it taller, since Rosecanadian's roses are all grafted on multiflora and they are small & compact in pots.

Below is my 12-year own-root Evelyn (from Chamblee) has glossy & smooth leaves and very different from your Evelyn from David Austin (looks more like Jayne Austin with yellow blooms).

Evelyn is a shrub that blooms at the top only, and NOT a climber like Jayne Austin. Evelyn has big red thorns closer together and very smooth & glossy leaves. Evelyn stays pink or peachy and never changes color to yellow.

Jayne Austin changes color depending on soil pH. My friend's soil is alkaline clay so her Jayne Austin is yellow, but others with acidic soil have pink Jayne Austin.

Jayne Austin is similar to Carding Mill. When I first bought Carding Mill in 2012, my super-high in magnesium clay soil pH was near 8 and Carding Mill was orange. After the past decade with tons of acidic rain, plus thanks to my moving Carding Mill to loamy bagged soil, Carding Mill becomes pink due to lower soil pH. I HAVE TO LIME my clay to get Carding Mill to be orange again.

Jayne Austin is similar to Crown Princess Magareta (a climber). Khalid in Pakistan reported that his CPM was orange in the morning, but after he gave it high phosphorus SOLUBLE fertilizer plus all day acidic rain, it changed to pink in late evening. Phosphorus shifts the color to the red zone, and phosphorus is most available at slightly acidic pH.

At high pH and high magnesium clay (like my friend's Jayne Austin), the color changes to yellow. Garden Lime has 10% magnesium, and magnesium is known to shift color to the yellow zone.

CONCLUSION: Evelyn never change color to yellow, but Jayne Austin does in alkaline clay.

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

strawchicago, so far none of the two Evelyns have strong fragrance like yours but my both smell exact same to me. I checked images of Jayne Austin and they appear more yellow to me and more of cup shape, whereas mine has pink outer color and peach folded center and no cup shape so far on it. But I will keep on monitoring into summer.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Tututara Zone 7 I updated my post above regarding Garden Lime (with 10% magnesium) shift the color to the yellow range. Bloom color depends on soil pH and fertilizer used, and the most accurate ID of a rose is its scent & growth habit & and leaves. More calcium in soil also result in more cup-shaped.

Evelyn never change color to yellow, but Jayne Austin can be yellow or pink depending on soil pH. Jayne Austin has medium tea scent, versus Evelyn's unique strong scent of ripe peaches.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

Fragrance is very subjective.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Tututara Zone 7 I check with printed David Austin 2011 catalog, and here's the info. on Evelyn: "EVELYN - 100 petals. The blooms are particularly large, soft apricot / soft pink, with wonderful fragrance, similar to Old Rose, but with fresh peaches and apricot note."

Evelyn is quite thorny (large thorns). Evelyn doesn't have the compact & bushy & upright form of Jayne Austin or Sweet Juliet. Evelyn is messy & spreading octopus canes with blooms at the top only, and can get thin & droopy canes from the weight of the large bloom. Evelyn leaves are very smooth and glossy.

Another rose (besides Jayne Austin) that can change from pink to yellow is Sweet Juliet, described in 2011 David Austin catalog as: "70 petals, neatly formed, medium-sized rosettes in shades of glowing apricot. Bushy, upright growth. The fragrance is fresh Tea at first but changes into lemon scent. Height 4 x 3 feet."

An excerpt from below link:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/69515/rosa-sweet-juliet-ausleap-(pbr)-(s)/details

"Rosa Sweet Juliet ('Ausleap') An upright, strong-growing, shrub rose to around 1.4m tall bearing double, shallow-cupped, fragrant flowers in shades of pinky-orange becoming more yellow-tinged with age. "

Below are web pictures of Sweet Juliet showing blooms changing from pink to yellow. Sweet Juliet is less deep-cupped than Jayne Austin, both with leaves more crinkled than Evelyn.

Tututara Zone 7 thanked strawchicago z5
  • strawchicago z5
    last year

Two other people besides me note that certain own-roots have stronger scents (Khalid in Pakistan and another gal in Hawaii). There's a post on Pink Peace and folks who bought it as own-root from Roses Unlimited RAVED about its scent, versus folks who bought it as cheap body bag (grafted on Dr.Huey) report zero scent.

So I bought own-root Pink Peace from Roses Unlimited in 2013, and its 1st bloom was amazing, like old rose and buttercream frosting (makes me salivate). Later on I bought a cheap Pink Peace (grafted on Dr.Huey) for $7, and it took a few months before I notice a slight scent, and even after 1 year, it can never smell as good as the OWN-ROOT Pink Peace.

I did look at your link above, and Evelyn in that link also BLOOMS AT THE TOP rather than throughout the entire bush like Sweet Juliet or Jayne Austin. Own-root Golden Celebration knocked my socks off with its marvelous scent with its 1st bloom, and that was 12 years ago in a pot, and its scent is best in alkaline clay.

On your list of no-scent yet: PAOK, Teasing Georgia, CPM, Carding Mill, Boscobel and Ancient Mariner. My own-root Teasing Georgia & CPM and Carding Mill scents are best at alkaline pH, I have to put biochar (pH 8.6) on them to get better scent.

Evelyn's scent is always strong as own-root regardless of soil pH (be it tons of acidic rain or acidic alfalfa meal, or alkaline horse manure).

Evelyn has a particular trait of blooming at the top of canes only, as noted by jerjen in CA and also in my zone 5a garden. Below is my own-root Evelyn showing its blooming AT THE TOP of canes only. Note the loose & spreading messy thin canes that droop down when the blooms get too heavy:

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

Good suggestion on alkaline PH. I started this year adding lime around them.

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

I reached out to DA on confirmation if it is indeed Evelyn and got this response -> "Many thanks for getting in touch regarding your Evelyn rose. I am 99% sure it is indeed Evelyn. I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the fragrance or lack of it from the rose you purchased from us.

We do indeed receive a lot of queries regarding this subject and it is a very difficult question to answer as the human nose is a very complex and individual thing and therefore different people perceive fragrances very differently.

All the descriptions of the fragrances given in the catalogue and on the website are provided by an independent perfume expert who has been in the perfume trade all of his life and is well respected throughout the country and he does state that some fragrances such as the Myrrh and Tea are not picked up by a lot of people.

It is important to try and smell the flowers when fully open at different times of the day as the strength can vary greatly due to a number of factors such as temperature, sunlight, age of flower etc. The fragrance of each individual variety shouldn’t vary from one plant to another as it is in the genes of that particular variety.

Based on the flower shape and color of your rose I am near certain its Evelyn."

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Tututara Zone 7 Own-root roses smell good immediately, but grafted roses (like my Pink Peace grafted on Dr.Huey) took 3 months of summer before it smelled good in late fall.

Evelyn is often sold as the wrong rose, see link:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6226372/where-can-i-fine-the-rose-evelyn#n=47

My 1st Evelyn (own-root) bloom back in 2011 was amazing strong peaches and old rose, and for the next 12 years I had to wash my finger after cutting it, its scent is so strong that it lingers on my fingers. Evelyn's blooms are large from 4" to 5", see above link.

Another possibility is Charles Austin, with button-hole blooms range from apricot to yellow . Charles Austin is best grafted, it's wimpy as own-root so LongAgoRoses didn't sell it although I requested it. I wanted Charles Austin for its button-hole blooms (less allergy).

Folks rave about Sweet Juliet scent being like strong & delicious like Lychee, but no one rave about Charles Austin's scent. Charles Austin has a sport called "Yellow Charles Austin" in HMF.
    Below are some pics. on the web of Charles Austin. Note the apricot buds of Charles Austin. In contrast, Evelyn's buds are always light pink.

Difference between Charles Austin and Evelyn: Charles has apricot buds, versus Evelyn buds are always pink. See below Charles Austin's apricot buds from the web:

Below are my Evelyn's buds of light pink. Evelyn is MUCH THORNIER than Charles Austin.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Tututara Zone 7 Your "yellow" Evelyn is in its 3rd year, and most roses, even grafted should show its true scent by then. If it doesn't smell like Old rose and strong peaches as stated in David Austin catalog, then it's NOT Evelyn.

There's a good chance that it's Charles Austin, which gets tall as grafted, and Charles Austin gives a sport called "yellow Charles Austin" in HMF.

A decade ago when Princess Alexandra of Kent and Young Lycidas were hot new items. Folks posted pics. of both in the vase, and raved about how good they are as cut blooms. So I called David Austin and asked if they make good cut flowers, and the lady (with an English accent) told me NO.

She told a lie to discourage me from buying items which are in high demand. Years later PAK was listed as good cut in David Austin catalog, and I bought Young Lycidas from Regan Nursery, and it was the best rose ever for the vase !!

For that reason I never buy from David Austin for my entire life. Back in 2011 High Country Roses was very honest. I reported a wrong rose, and they sent me the right rose immediately. I was so impressed that I bought more from them.

David Austin catalog is full of manipulations, such as Queen of Sweden as being good for the vase. Bought that as own-root and it shattered 1 day in the vase. Or David Austin's info. about Evelyn as having a few thorns. Evelyn has the largest thorns and many thorns.

Evelyn is the most easy to root ever !! I gave many rootings to friends and they all raved about their 1st blooms being intensely fragrant (old rose and peaches).

If your "yellow Evelyn" cannot root from cuttings, then it's Charles Austin since no nursery can root that, except for LongAgoRoses, but I could not buy it since it's too wimpy. Also no one rave about Charles Austin's scent, but Evelyn is known for its amazing Old rose and fresh peaches scent.

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    last year

That would be super exciting if this is a stable sport of Evelyn! Beautiful rose, beautiful color.

remind me somewhat of The Poet’s Wife, which is that same sorr of clear lemony yellow, but not nearly as petal packed/rufflyruffle.

• Tututara Zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

I found these photos of yellow Evelyn on HMF from 2010.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.145896

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.145895

The same person has also posted this photo of pink Evelyn.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.145893

• strawchicago z5
    last year

Evelyn doesn't give "button-hole" like Charles Austin, and Charles Austin is THE ONLY AUSTIN that can sport to yellow, see below in HMF:

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.2568.1

The best confirmation is to root your "yellow Evelyn", if it roots easily, then it's Evelyn. Evelyn is the EASIEST rose to root ever !! Charles Austin is much harder to root.

No one rave about Charles' scent, but many people rave about Evelyn's intense old rose and fresh peaches, including those who got their 1st blooms from the Evelyn rootings I gave.

David Austin is so messed up with tons of Rose Mosaic Virus in older Austins (esp. Evelyn), and so messed up in sending people the wrong rose, that I don't trust it. See below Rose Mosaic Virus in Evelyn posted in HMF.

How can David Austin possibly send people the right healthy Evelyn when it's so infested with virus as grafted, like below? So David Austin sends folks something else (healthy but wrong rose). That's misinformation and manipulations for profits.

I asked LongAgoRoses nursery about her Charles Austin, and she sent me these pics stating that her Charles Austin is not big, but tall instead. Evelyn is listed in Austin catalog as 4' x 3' and it blooms AT THE TOP of the bush only.

Below are pictures of LongAgoRoses' Charles Austin, note the button hole. Evelyn DOES NOT give button hole blooms like Charles Austin:

Below is my Evelyn bloom, note that there's NO singular button hole, and there's red prickles all the way up the bud. The bud is pink, and not apricot like Charles Austin. Charles Austin is known as low-thorn, and other people noted that Evelyn is more thorny than Abraham Darby even.