SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizht

Kitchen Sink Choice

elizht
last year

We’re undergoing a kitchen refacing project that will involve replacing the countertops, sink and cabinet doors, among other things, but keeping the cabinet boxes. This is my 3rd houzz post this week and I really appreciate the help!

Current sink (see photo) is a 33” Kohler apron front, double basin. The counter cutout is 30”W. Base cabinet is 35”. We have very little counter space, and it feels like we’re dedicating too much space to the sink. The apron front also feels too visually imposing, and the double bowl is non functional with the very thick divider. So, we’re going to switch to a single basin stainless undermount and modify the cabinet front for a more seamless look.

A few questions:

-Should I go with a 30” or a 27/28”? I know I’m splitting hairs but we need as much counter as we can get. On the other hand, we’re a family of four with lots of kids dishes that pile up quickly—would rather those dishes have room to live in the sink for a few hours, rather than on the counter. Anybody unhappy with their 28”? Is bigger always better? (To be clear, this would be interior bowl width 28” vs. 26”.)

-I’m looking at Ruvati, Kraus and Blanco (but happy to consider others). We’re going for a more traditional look—this is a 1935 tudor revival home in Alabama, so contemporary wouldn’t be right—but don’t want it to look basic. A few pros and cons of each:

-The Ruvati Parmi line has a 30” with nice rounded corners. I think this is my top pic. 16 gauge. But it has a center drain. Is that going to drive me crazy? Is it too rounded to be current? I like that the depth is 9”. 10” feels pretty deep in an undermount installation.

-I know Kraus has wonderful reviews, and has 30” and 28” models, but those corners seem pretty tight. I’m not willing to spend a ton of time cleaning gunk out of the corners, and again, I’m worried they are too modern.

-The Blanco formera 28” seems like a nice compromise on the rounded corners but still updated look, and it has a rear drain. It’s 18 gauge though. Is that an issue? Does it have good sound proofing? Also more expensive. Also don’t think they have a 30” option?

Here is my faucet, which I suppose is relevant:

I know I have lots of considerations here - size, style, depth, gauge. There is also a 100% chance I’m overthinking this. Would love any advice you have! Can’t promise this will be my last post here…. Thanks!

Comments (12)