SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mharon

Permanently removing below grade basement windows

mharon
last year

After refinishing our basement in 2018, we had two 9" back-to-back rainstorms last year. There are currently three below grade windows in the basement (all were replaced with the remodel) with window wells. The rain was coming down so fast that the drains were ineffective, and my husband could not manually remove the water to keep up with the pace of water flooding into the window wells. We had three mini waterfalls coming in through the windows and scrambled to move all furniture and soak up as much water as we could. We ran fans and dehumidifiers for at least a week straight and would not want to go through this again! To prevent something like this from happening again, we would like to permanently remove the windows and seal up the space. Has anyone done this? I think it will be a bigger project than my husband thinks (will have to use cinder blocks/cement to seal up space and then backfill dirt to grade level on outside and then insulate, re-sheetrock and paint the inside...sound about right?

TYIA!

Comments (13)