SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyncb

Floor plan feedback

marilyncb
last year

We are looking for feedback on the floor plans we've been working on. Any suggestions are welcome. If information is missing, please ask.

Site:

This home will be built on a rural property (3 acres) in Atlantic Canada. The lot slopes to the south down to a large pond that feeds into the ocean. We want to maximize the views of the pond and ocean to the south. East and west are treed with neighbours in the distance. The driveway will come in from the road to the north and there are neighbours across the road.

Occupants and Visitors:

We are a couple in our 50s/60s. I work from home and my husband is retired. We have two adult children that live in other parts of the country and typically visit 3-4 times a year, often with partners or friends, and stay for at least 4-5 days and sometimes a week or 2. Other than family visits, we do not entertain much. When we do it is usually 1 or 2 friends for dinner.

The plan is to have comfortable guest rooms that can be used for other purposes (office and TV room) when we don’t have guests. I’m thinking of having 2 twin beds in each guest room that can serve as daybeds most of the time, be spaced apart for visiting friends and be pushed together for visiting couples.

Priorities:

· Simple, vernacular structure

· Open living space with focus on cooking and dining (husband enjoys cooking and almost all of our meals are cooked and eaten at home)

· Pantry for larger freezer and food storage

· Main floor master bedroom

· Master bath with separate tub and shower

· Mudroom and lots of storage for outdoor gear

Other info:

· We won’t have a TV in the main living area

· Will be built on a slab (no basement) so need main floor utility room

· Garage and workshop will be detached

Main Floor

Second Floor (1/2 storey above middle volume of main floor)

Comments (13)