SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Best way to install a frameless glass shower door on a non-plumb wall?

artemis78
last year
last modified: last year

We are installing a frameless shower door on a wall that is not plumb, and leans by over an inch over the 6' span the door will cover.

Replacing the wall is not an option for a number of reasons, so we are looking for the best way to handle the existing conditions. We are using professional glass door installers and will of course have them measure and propose their preferred plans, but curious to know how others have handled this and what I should be looking for in their proposals.

I think my options are:

1) Scribe a fixed glass panel to the non-plumb wall and then hinge the door off of that. We have room to do that and it seems it might be the best plan.

2) Hinge the door off of the non-plumb wall, but have one hinge built out--not sure this is feasible since there would then be a gap.

3) Somehow try to address this with the tilework.

Our tiler would like to run the tile along the wall (i.e., following the slope) for aesthetic purposes rather than using thinset to build it out to level it, since the difference in thickness of the thinset will be noticeable by the top of the tilework. (Tile will go up 7' and glass will be 6'.) This makes sense for appearance but I want to understand whether that would create a different issue.

The other side of the shower opening is a pony wall, so I don't think we can hang the door there--but maybe we can? We put in blocking for hinges/clips in the walls on all sides so there's flexibility on that front.

Our tile design does end with bullnose tile, so the last way out there idea is to transition from bullnose to mudcap as we go up the wall, and absorb the difference there. (The tile comes in both in the same size/color.) This seems like it would be very tricky to pull off at this point, though.

Am I missing any other solutions to consider, however imperfect? Thanks!

Comments (6)