SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sas95_gw

Awful artwork... What would you do?

sas95
last year

My husband's mom died a few years ago, and in the process of cleaning out her home, his brother brought us some of her "artwork." His mom was a lovely woman, but her taste was totally different than mine. Some of the pieces were small and innocuous, and I put them up in our home office. There is one piece, however, that is just atrocious. It's big and loud and, IMO, super-tacky and cheap looking. It went in a closet.

Lately DH has been talking about that piece, saying that he loves it, and it should be hung in a prominent place in the house. I don't want to have it anywhere, but if it did go somewhere I wouldn't want it where it could be generally seen-- maybe I'd put it in our exercise room or something, but honestly, it's just plain ugly.

What would you do in this situation? Be honest and totally hurt feelings? Hang it and cringe? Something in between? By way of background, every art decision in our house has been made jointly. If one of us likes a piece and the other doesn't, we never buy it, with the reasoning that it is both of our houses and it's just as easy to find something we both like. I don't see how this is different, except, of course, that it is a memory of his mom. I don't remember it being hung anywhere in her house, though, so maybe she didn't like it that much either... Thoughts?

Comments (32)