SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedd1001

Is this a bigger wiring problem other than my AC being shot?

tedd1001
last year

I went to turn on my AC units this year by switching the breakers on. One of them went on no problem, but when I switched the other breaker on I heard a hum that I think was coming from the panel or possibly the AC unit itself, so much so that my wife heard it from the kitchen. The breaker tripped almost immediately and I was never able to get the unit up and running. While I didn't realize it at the time, my initial attempt also caused my pool breaker to trip as well, which is on a separate panel.

I had an HVAC technician out and after troubleshooting it for several hours and changing various parts, to no avail. Their final conclusion was that there must have been a power surge and most of the AC's components, capacitor, fan motor, etc. are shot and I can either replace them individually or install a new unit.

Does this sound reasonable, and could there be a bigger problem? I'm concerned because of the feedback I was hearing on the wiring panel and that it was tripping multiple breakers, not just the specific on to the bad AC unit.

Comments (3)