SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misshibiscus

Help! I Can't Seem to Grow Strawberries!

Miss Hibiss
last year

Dear Better Gardeners Than Me:

For years, I have been trying time and time again to grow strawberries in my backyard. I resolved to fully commit to this endeavor after many sad occasions of tasting store-bought strawberries--even the ones labeled organic--and having my taste buds completely offended by their peculiar 'off' taste. And, honestly: I just love those beautiful little plants and the fragrance and sweetness of fresh strawberries they (sometimes) reward me with!

My problem, though, is that despite living in central Florida--where it seems so much successful strawberry-growing takes place--strawberries just do not want to live with me.

I buy plants, keep them in a spacious container under full sun. (This time, I even tried partial shade.) They are lovely for a week or so, but then the leaves start looking wilty, and when the plant DOES put out berries, the berries are no bigger than my fingernail and turn red long before they are grown enough to. They are also rather tasteless.

There is no visible fungus, nor bug problems. I have not planted them with any plant that might offend them--but this time I DID try planting them near some Thai Basil in hopes that that fragrant herb will keep away pests. (One strawberry plant is currently surviving out of the 4 that I planted there.)

Guys, I am desperate to find out what I am doing wrong. I want to be successful and enjoy some berries! Am I planting berries at the wrong time of year for Florida? (I've read often that it's recommended you plant them in September.)

Is there a trick I don't know about to help them survive Florida heat and humidity? Does direct sun hurt them, as appearances seem to show?

Please offer up your wisdom or experience in growing strawberries in central FL, as it would be VERY, VERY much appreciated!

love,

miss hibiss

Comments (2)