Comments (47)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I love classic homes with classic color schemes like you see below

Don't discount the white on white scheme also

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

I think you have a plan, green or blue would be lovely, the door should compliment, is it just a refresh on the door, or do you plan to change it out?

I would paint over the white trim around the door features the same color you choose for the door color, not highlighting with the white.

• Related Discussions

Which White?: Front Door Sidelights & Trim Recommendation

Q

Comments (2)
    This is SW Pure White. It was the best match of color (and sheen) for the window trim. Here's the before.
    ...See More

Need help picking shutter, garage door and front door colors!!

Q

Comments (6)
    This is a recommended color from SW for Mindful Gray…homburg gray. I would do this on the shutters and the garage doors and leave the wood door as is. The two middle windows shouldn’t have shutters as the won’t fit appropriately, but you are not painting the siding and the darker outlines of the shutters will show if you don’t replace what was there. Personally, would like the house with out shutters and would probably paint the siding and garage doors and have no shutters at all.
    ...See More

What color would you paint the shutters and front door?

Q

Comments (5)
    For a more modern, fresh look, I would remove all of your shutters. They do not fit the style of your windows. I would also replace your front door with a mid century style door. It, painted a bright, bold color...a bright lime green, or teal blue, for example...might add that color that you are looking for. A new, larger modern exterior light and big, bold modern address numbers would help, too. And perhaps a modern bench for your porch, or modern tall planters would enhance the space. In the future you might consider painting all of your white siding and windows a dark, deep gray. Then your bright door would really stand out. Good luck and have fun with you lovely Home!
    ...See More

Big changes and I need help! shutters, garage door, and front door.

Q

Comments (12)
    “My husband is thinking about doing a white garage door with windows. What do u think of white?” Yes to windows. Since the garage is right up front, paint it the same color as the siding to help pull some focus OFF of it.
    ...See More
  • Blair
    last year

I love your home. BM Hale Navy was my front door and I LOVED it.. it provided the pop I needed

• Megan Lawler
    last year

I agree either navy or classic black shutters - which then allows for a pop of color for the front door (red/yellow/etc)

• jck910
    last year

Black would be classic for the shutters with a blue door. I don't think that style of front door is complementary on a cape. The curves and brass accents in the glass don't work. For now, I would paint the sidelights the same color as the trim and the storm door the color of the door.

• lynda18901
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've had Benjamin Moore Hale Navy on my Cape house shutters for many years. Classic and beautiful color.

• sxb2053
    last year

We did Indigo Batik by Sherman Williams (7602) on our front and back doors and I love it! A rich Navy, I think it would look great on your home.

• terrib962
    last year

If you keep the shutters, but sure they are 1/2 the width of the windows and therefore look like they are real. Shutters less than 1/2 the width of the window are for cheapo houses with people who do not care if their houses look silly.

• dvd94
    last year

Keep in mind, your dominant color is your roof. The shutters look perfect with that color. Changing them (unless you are going for a new roof) would not be advised - definitely not blue or green.

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@terrib962--yes our current shutters are the correct size, we may paint them since they are in good shape otherwise we will replace with the same size

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@dvd94 my roof color is brown, is blue or green not a compliment to that?

the shutters are very faded and blah in person maybe it doesn't read that way on screen (this picture is from 2019)

• Diane Francis
    last year

Hunter green shutters and black door

• wiseca9
    last year

I photoshopped navy shutters and different door style. (click to englarge photo)

• dvd94
    last year

@km51571 - unfortunately I don't think blue or green go with brown. It looks like wiseca9 photoshopped the green and blue shutters (love the yellow door, though!) - neither matches, in my opinion. I tried thinking of what would match with your roof and nothing but black came to mind. But I can tell you want something that pops - I agree!

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@dvd94 you're right I'm looking for a pop of color on the door --it feels like such a dark hold under the portico. Leaning towards navy blue shutters because it feels like a classic combo. I actually really like the light yellow door which wouldn't have been a shade I may have picked on my own.

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@wiseca9 thanks for the images! I'm really liking the yellow door

• wiseca9
    last year

Glad to help!

Your roof looks like it's in good condition, but down the road, here's what your house would look like with a dark gray roof. (click photo to enlarge) You've done a beautiful job on your landscaping. I'd add 3-5 small green shrubs on the left side too because the green really looks nice with your home.

(I don't think I'd go black shingles because you have a lot of roof showing.)

• wiseca9
    last year

Here's the link to the house with the yellow door and wreath to get you started.

https://lifeonsummerhill.com/modern-front-doors/

"If you are thinking of a yellow door, then try Spun Honey from Valspar paint. You can find Valspar paint in Lowes."

• fishingheart
    last year

I disagree that navy doesn’t go with brown. I’ve known forever that when you wear a dark blue suit that you have a choice of brown or black shoes. Same goes for furnishings and houses.
    I like this white home with the yellow door and navy shutters with the brown roof. My close friend has the same colors with a black roof. I would also love it with a grey roof!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

The yellow door is a good idea, but the yellow pictured above is a bit too pastel for my taste. In comparison to the shutters shown in an intense color (navy).

• fishingheart
    last year

Yes I also think the yellow too pastel but it does give us the concept. Just a little brightness!

• Barbara Brenneman
    last year

I would also square off the posts. Gives them a more substantial presence.

• Peri Drucker
    last year

Barbara B's suggestion is definitely one you should do.  The current posts are way too slim.  Building square boxes around them will make a terrific impact.

• fishingheart
    last year

I didn’t notice the slenderness of the porch post. But now I do and yes box them in and the proportions will look nicer. Barbara got it right! When we had to do our entire back porch over
    our builder actually did that to our round post and we’re very glad he did!

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@Barbara Brenneman love the idea of squaring up the posts now that I really focus on them they do appear slim. This will have to wait until next summer's projects as we our renovating our kitchen right now and the curb appeal budget is slim

• Ann Pagano
    last year

-square up posts- too thin

-much larger side lights - Home Depot

-note that the color door suggestions all show new door and side lights. big investment

but great return on new door and side lights.

- like the yellow door with maybe blue shutters

-point: colors on the outside should speak to the colors on the inside. What are the main colors on the inside of your house??

-Want a bigger "umph" to the front? take off siding from the out side of front porch top ( when enlarging and square the posts). Not sure how your inside of the porch ceiling looks, however:

-fill in out side space with a cement board type of surface. Cut a round opening, frame it and place a X or square grid in middle. Or square off the bottom of the over hang, cement board the area and purchase a vent that is either round or arched ( arch only if squaring off the porch roof line.

So many options for your porch roof. Love working through the options!

km51571 thanked Ann Pagano
  • km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@Ann Pagano yes, our door and sidelights are in great shape so we won't be replacing them (although I agree there are better options out there)

the inside of my house is a mix of blues/greens/pinks--eclectic blend of mcm, vintage, and & bohemian

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying about the cement board and round opening with vent

• Ann Pagano
    last year

That is difficult to explain. Maybe I can find a photo of something similar. But much bigger out door lights can be easy to purchase and would be more in scale to the large porch ceiling and door with side lights. It's beautiful home! Inside sound like fun ...gotta love the mix! Keeps it all interesting and inviting.

• Claudia Norman
    last year

I feel a little sad that I’m giving all these suggestions but that is what they are not criticizing just ideas for future Reno’s. But I didn’t even see the little lights on the sides of the front door with such a small picture. I do notice that on many homes as I look when I’m riding in the car.
    And the best thing is to look at pictures on Houzz. You can search for White House’s with shutters and brown roof. Loads of photos will be displayed. I have lots of idea books saved.

• coray
    last year

I don’t see why a deep green would not go with the roof color, as long as it’s the right hue. I know you don’t want to replace your front door/ side lights, but doing so would have a huge impact on the look of your house!

• coray
    last year

Terrib962: Yes, it’s a good thing to keep in mind the “correct” width of shutters, but some houses have large windows, and if the windows are close to the corners of the house, there might not be enough room for 1/2 width shutters; sometimes you’ve got to go with what you have (this would be difficult and invasive to change), but it doesn’t mean it looks “cheap”, esp if the shutters are nice. The (often) builder-standard, plastic shutters will always look cheap, and that’s because they ARE cheap.

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@Claudia Norman @Ann Pagano we've actually already purchased larger porch lights--just waiting on nice weather so our electrician can install them :-) this is the listing picture from when we bought the house 3 years ago

• fishingheart
    last year

Good for you!

• redoredone
    last year

Re your colors: We have a white house with black raised panel shutters and a wood door (medium tone), with wood window boxes. The arch inside our porch ceiling is also wood. 2 black pots with plants. We love the look. Good luck.

• Ann Pagano
    last year

So glad to hear you have purchased larger outdoor lights! For fun look at "porticos" on Houzz. I saw a few interesting ones.....and I started drawing your portico/porch. I get so interested in possibilities. A couple porticos I saw on Houzz "Eastmorland Dutch Colonial Addition", Kerrie Kelly Design Lab, Winston Brock Chapell Inc, Georgia Front Porch were the titles on the pictures I saw. Not sure what is underneath your portico roof. Is it a flat ceiling, open to the peak of the roof? Just feels like with siding on the house and on the portico you loose the specialness ( is that a word?) of the portico and the importance of the entry. hope to see pictures of you new light fixtures. It's a beautiful house! Glad you're showing it some love.

• corakeating2
    last year

Print out some copies of the house and get sample tins of paint and paint the doors and take your choice. Also I think the pillars look a bit thin maybe box them in and maybe try the colour them the same COLOUR as the shutters.? Just have great fun trying out all colours at a very cheap price

• cat_ky
    last year

Navy blue and also dark green, both go with your brown roof. Either one will look nice on your house. I prefer the navy. Yellow doors are not a favorite of mine, but, on your house the yellow door, actually looks very nice.

• km51571
    Original Author
    last year

@cat_ky thanks for the opinion on the shutter colors. I think navy is going to be the winner and I have to agree not usually a yellow fan but that picture above is changing my mind!

• C Thoman
    last year

love a deep navy. Check out my favorite one which is Benjamin Moore Polo!

• Janice Wigent
    last year

Gray Shutters and orange door. Should go with the roof.

• houssaon
    last year

Here are two "yellows" that look would good. Paint the sidelight white.

Dorset Gold on my front door.

This is what I have on my shutters. An alternative to navy.

• Little Bug
    last year

That’s a random comment, Ron, on km’s post about her front door color. Who are you talking to?

edited to add: well, Ron’s comment is gone now so nevermind. I guess he figured out that he wandered into the wrong room.

• Muriel Vasconcellos
    last year

I like the color you already have on the shutters. With the blue door as described by jck10.. The current color echoes the roof and make the house look larger. A different color makes the house look smaller and busy.

• Meridythe McCall
    last year

No, not yellow! a harsh color isnt classy. I suggest a dark blue, maroon or green Please, nothing too bright

• redoredone
    last year

Everyone has different preferences, but I like the dark blue or green, not maroon. I don't think the current color does anything at all for your house. Good luck on choosing what makes you happy!

• hamsterdreams
    last year

I would paint the door the same color as the shutters. I think the darker green looks great; hunter green?