SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Confession .. I hate my patio furniture

Funkyart
last year

I don't expect anyone to remember-- but last spring I purchased patio furniture. After a lot of consideration for how I'd use the space and most especially what was available at the time, I chose a set I liked but did not love. It was a good price and I wanted something I could enjoy immediately. I reasoned that if it worked for a few years, it would be worth the expense. Well, it didn't make it a few years!

Set I purchased:

I really dislike the set. It is not my style and it is not especially comfortable and it brings me no joy to go out to the patio. I would never curl up in the chairs or sofa with a book. I wouldn't hang out in it with a cool drink on a hot afternoon. I dislike it so much that I totally stalled on completing the patio. No pillows, no outdoor rug, no lanterns or flower pots.

In the scheme of things, this was a moderately expensive mistake.. not a terribly expensive mistake. Just as big an issue is that I am still not enjoying the patio as I could because it's a reminder of what a big mistake I made. It's time to get rid of it... I will either give the set to a niece who just bought a house or I will sell it.

And now I will order what I really wanted. The pieces I love (and have loved for many years) still have extended shipping dates (8-10 weeks) but they are what I keep returning to. I measure all others against them. So no more delays, I am placing the order this week (as soon as I choose a color!). I won't have them in time to enjoy this summer but I will be ahead of the game next spring.

Still not sure if i will go with this color or a green.. I need to pull out my swatches again.

Many of you told me to order what I loved-- I just wish I had listened. Saving money in the short term just cost me more in the long run.

Comments (41)

• l pinkmountain
    last year

You can totally sell the old set to make up some of the money to go towards the one you want.

Funkyart thanked l pinkmountain
  • jojoco
    last year

Sell the set. Give it away. Look forward not back. Life is too short not to enjoy reading a book on a patio.

• Related Discussions

I hate what she did to my furniture!!

Q

Comments (26)
    I love them! My grandpa has the same tables in his house and I love this paint idea for them and I think they would look awesome in your room! I like the X not paint too, but once someone pointed out in a previous comment that the sides of the X was painted that bothers me. I would recommend asking if the sides of the X can be stained.
    ...See More

I think I hate my new dining room chairs ...

Q

Comments (43)
    Change the chair seats, the LIGHT add curtains, Add a rug.......It isn't decorated yet!! Do the table switch last........ The light is Hubbardton Forge, The rug is an 8 x 10 charcoal sisal , 225.00 There's a lot of junk in tables, with finishes that will not hold up. .............switch the table last. Or paint what you have, to a soft black top, and white base. This is a minefield category of junkola out there. Arhaus on the one below........save your money : ) https://www.denverfabrics.com/p242131_66467-greypeachpink-plaid-linen https://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=prod_detail&prod_id=207623
    ...See More

hellppp! i want my house to feel like home but i hate the colours

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm assuming this is the current renters' living room furniture. The style of the house isn't country, and neither is a black leather sofa or a Kallax unit. So let's work with what you have that will have a warm, comfy feeling that isn't necessarily country. Do you have budget for some chairs, a coffee table, curtains, shelves and art work? Here's a direction: --Add a comfy chair or two with black legs in grays and a little tan--not necessarily this chair. (Later on you can get a nice gray sofa that will go with the chair.) --Add pillows to your sofa. Curtains: Large art work for the big wall: Long white low shelves for storing toys and for a TV if that's where you'll be watching. A couple of these for more storage. All of these pieces relate to each other and will go with new furniture down the road. Good luck!
    ...See More

I think I hate this room color. Should I hate this room color?

Q

Comments (51)
    Yes- unfortunately the existing piece is actually probably a vanity masquerading as a desk (also a Facebook market find). It is not very ergonomic at all- it sort of traps your thighs in that upside down U thing and thus my husband won’t use it. I thought he’d eventually cave, but 2+ months of passive aggressively moving his paperwork and iPad off of our dining room table and onto our “desk” isn’t working. I’ve got to either replace it or find a 5 foot centerpiece for our diningroom.
    ...See More
  • just_terrilynn
    last year
    last modified: last year

Oh Funk, so sorry you are unhappy with the set. On the flip side, the resale should be good due to timing, long awaited nice weather and peoples need for instant gratification . If you have a family member with a truck who could locally deliver you will not be out much money at all.

Funkyart thanked just_terrilynn
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Definitely, Ipink and JT-- it's still being sold (for about 2x what i paid for it) and I have used it very infrequently. The cushions are still in great condition with no indentations from sitting. All the covers are still in their packaging. Plus-- it's already assembled.

But.. one of my nieces bought a house with a large outdoor space. She may end up being the benefactor of my mistake.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

@Jojoco -- you said exactly what my heart has been telling me for the last month.

• Tina Marie
    last year

I'm so sorry Funky! You should be able to sell your set easily, especially this time of year. Try Market Place!! Then purchase your heart's desire. I love that aqua color!!

Funkyart thanked Tina Marie
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this. Is the new set Ballard Designs? I love that blue. Honestly both your current set and your proposed set look fantastic! So at least style-wise you're in great shape.

I'm a bit worried that I may be in your shoes in a year. Last year I built a little garden area in the corner of my yard with a pondless waterfall and patio and have been planting trees and flowers while I try to figure out furniture. I found the perfect ones from Pottery Barn last fall, and they were backordered, and then PB canceled the order out from under me and discontinued the chairs. I waffled this year and really wanted the Directoire set from Ballard Designs but just couldn't stomach the price or the delay, so I am waiting this week for delivery of my affordable Hampton Bay backup option (17% of the cost of the Ballard Designs). I'm worried I will regret my choice, but have been justifying it with the same idea that if I hate it in a few years, I will still have gotten my moneys worth. Sounds too close to your tale!

Funkyart thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

I hate it when that happens. We try to be sensible, but alas, we just can't settle.

I love the furniture you are getting. You are going to really appreciate it after this.

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    last year

I agree with Jojovo , and others : “Sell the set. Give it away. Look forward not back. Life is too short not to enjoy reading a book on a patio.” The new looks gorgeous and so comfy!

Funkyart thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I would give it to your niece, assuming she wants it. Better than losing money. Then you can have what you want!

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • teeda
    last year

I remember how much you really wanted the metal set but were discouraged with the long wait time. It's beautiful and looks so inviting. The peace and comfort you would get (and deserve) would make the switch completely justifiable. Go for it!

Funkyart thanked teeda
  • nicole___
    last year

I really like your set. but.....the new one...is just WOW! I've never seen such cool iron pieces...and the cushions....just wowing me.....Is it the Meadow Craft Athens set?

Funkyart thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    last year

I think we’ve all been there! The new set is so beautiful, I hope you love it. :)

Funkyart thanked Jilly
  • SEA SEA
    last year

Shoot. I'm very sorry your behalf. I totally understand. I hope you may get a couple weeks in late summer this year to enjoy your new patio furniture.

On a much smaller scale, I finally gave away my problem child cast iron dutch (I mentioned it a couple times on threads here) that will not season properly--has to be nearly 8 to 10 years in. It gave me no joy from day one due to it's problem child status. I had to store this thing, cook in the thing, bleach my beautiful porcelin kitchen sink every time I used this pos, baby this thing and it was still a pot of rust. Everyone told me over and over, do this; do that; it will come around; you will grow to love it. Garbage.

I taped a FREE sign on it a couple of weeks ago and left it in the dirt out front. In less than hour, a cable lineman stopped his truck and picked it up. Probably thought he hit the jackpot and isn't he going to get lucky when he brings this home to his wife tonight. The ha-ha is on him. I felt big relief that it disappeared from my life and will remember this lesson for all of my days. If it brings you no joy, get rid of it. Listen to yourself and stop trying to make concessions for something that is not a match to your needs. Patio furtinure and rusty cast iron dutch ovens be gone.

Funkyart thanked SEA SEA
  • Kitchenwitch111
    last year

I did something like this in the last two years. I replaced a couch and loveseat that were 20 years old with a couch and two chairs. I was swayed by HGTV “reveals” which often use this set-up. They always looked so sophisticated!

Well. It was OK watching TV alone with my small dog but if anyone else was here it was impossible to comfortably lounge while watching a movie. We’d just be sitting upright side by side! Ugh. Within a year I sold the couch on FB Marketplace and bought a cushy sectional. The two chairs are still here and fill the room a bit too much but I’m so much happier.

Don’t live with a mistake if you don’t have to!

Funkyart thanked Kitchenwitch111
  • eld6161
    last year

It's always a gamble buying without trying. DH, on a whim, decided to buy our lanai furniture from Costco. Luckily it is comfortable.

Funkyart thanked eld6161
  • Bestyears
    last year

If it gives you any comfort, this is a lesson my girlfriends and I have had to learn many times, and we still find ourselves drawn in. For example, she and I are both looking for swivel chairs for our living rooms, and have shopped together a few times. We're each as bad as the other when one is well-priced, and a few times, we have made it nearly all the way to the register before we realize we are doing it again. Settling for one we 'like well enough' vs. investing the time and/or money for the one we love.

Funkyart thanked Bestyears
  • 3katz4me
    last year

Oh yeah, I remember the beautiful furniture you wanted but didn't get because it would take too long. You shouldn't have any problem selling what you have for a good price to some other poor soul who wants patio furniture right away. Though you don't love it, someone else will.

Funkyart thanked 3katz4me
  • rubyclaire
    last year

We did the same with patio furniture - went for the bird in hand instead of taking our time. Our furniture is not particularly comfortable and I don't love the color. I'm stuck with ours this year but plan to do the same as you are Funky just as soon as possible. Love that Ballard set!

Funkyart thanked rubyclaire
  • cran
    last year

Absolutlly love the new set you plan to order if your niece just move she probably has so many things she needs to buy. The joy is going to come when she’s over the top happy with your gift .

Funkyart thanked cran
  • yeonassky
    last year

If you give it to your niece it's not a mistake it's a housewarming gift! Win win!

So glad you're getting what you want and are able to still! Enjoy!

Funkyart thanked yeonassky
  • Sueb20
    last year

Oh no… well, I’ve been there too. I do remember your porch furniture because I too lust after those Ballard chairs! I have the Amalfi table and chairs and they have held up beautifully for several years. We don’t even bring the table and chairs in over the winter.

Funkyart thanked Sueb20
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Oh Funky I am so sorry you are not enjoying that furniture - you know I have the same set on our porch. My measuring stick for replacing an unfortunate choice is always 'will it cause me to miss a meal' (gee maybe I really do need to be in Noom group!) and if not, it's time to move on and get what your heart desires.

Funkyart thanked DLM2000-GW
  • texanjana
    last year

I remember that gorgeous furniture that you really wanted. I’m glad you are going to get it. BTW-Ballard’s is having a 20% off sale on patio futniture.

Funkyart thanked texanjana
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the support and commiseration. It helps to know i am not the only one to make such a mistake.. though really, I did very consciously decide to go for "right now" vs "right for me". I do wish i had had the opportunity to sit in the sofa/chairs before I bought them-- but it was mid pandemic. Stock was low everywhere and in store even more so. Live and learn.

I will have to consult my siblings before giving the set to my niece-- 4 of my niece's nephews have bought houses recently. Only one has a need for outdoor furniture -- but I don't want to upset anyone. I am also not sure it will fit her space. Regardless.. it will be going to another home.

Thanks again!

• bbstx
    last year

Recognizing being unhappy with a decision and correcting it is almost impossible for me to do….well, the correcting it anyway. I always think I just have to live with it. You took the bull by the horns and fixed it. Good for you!!

Funkyart thanked bbstx
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

LOL not without guilt and consequences ;)

This purchase is displacing some other planned splurges but it will be worth it!

• Mrs. S
    last year

Following, because we sure need new patio furniture, and I do recall your posts about that rattan-look set. I'm glad you followed up and I hope the other set is a lot more comfy.

Our last set was high quality (Mallin) and we've had it for at least 27 years (though it has needed replacement for at least 3 years). We have had new cushions made twice (and cushions are expensive, too) and did find someone who could make repairs. Purchasing a less expensive (but still a lot of money, esp if you won't enjoy it as much) set is veeeery tempting. But I'm taking your lesson to heart. So thanks again for posting.

• amykath
    last year

I can not count how many things I have purchased and thought "why, why,... WHY!??

Your former set is lovely. But you do not love it.

I adore your new set and you will be happy every time you look at it!

I remember this same post from some time ago! So, you have not taken this lightly.

Keep us posted! I can not wait to see your new set!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Aw, Funky, of course we remember! You are us! We (most of us anyway) have been there and we were hoping you would like the compromise set. I am so sorry you are miserable, but glad you will get the set you love this year! When you do, please share pictures.

• Lars
    last year

I like your old furniture, and it is very similar to the patio furniture that came with my house in Cathedral City (Palm Springs adjacent). Your new furniture, while it might be great for your climate, would be horrible in Palm Springs, due to the heat. Anything that is black iron gets dangerously hot here. I have one black iron MCM vintage chair here, and I plan to take it back to Los Angeles, where it is not so hot.

Whoever (your niece, I presume) who buys your old patio furniture should be very happy. It has a resort feel to it and reminds me of Fiji.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I should be clear-- the current patio furniture is fine. It is solid and well constructed -- is easy to clean and has covers-- it just isn't me. I knew this when I bought it. I gave into the desire to have something in place right away. I am certain it will serve it's next owner well... it's just a little too .. hmm, not formal but "sit up straight and engage" when I am more of a "curl up and sink in" kind of gal. It's more of a lifestyle miss.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Yes, I remember, and it’s a shame it didn't work, but when ya know it’s not right, ya know. You will feel good giving it to hour niece and even better when you receive the furniture of your dreams. I think we all have done the same thing, especially during the pandemic when we had to settle for something rather than wait.

• ratherbesewing
    last year

I remember this post from last year! Sorry it didn’t work out. The Ballard set is so unique. We look forward to seeing it in place.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

I have been doing some research to try to locate this set so I can actually sit in it.. and learned that this brand is experiencing extreme delays. I spoke directly to a dealer this morning and learned that the estimated shipping time is 40 weeks. (Shout out to Q Gardens in Milford, Ct.. they responded to my inquiry before 8am this morning! Great customer service!)

Ballard Designs does have their cuddle chair in stock but it is with a beige cover and it won't work for my space. Since replacement cushions are an additional $750, that's a no-go for me.

I will wait out the supply issues-- and continue to look at other options in the meantime. The key is, I now know that I want a generous, curl up in chairs. My local showrooms have more Floyd Landers in stock this summer.. and there are some PB options I'd like to try.

• nicole___
    last year

@Funkyart..I found the Ballard Deisgns piece to NOT have the scrolled iron. NOT as pretty. The photo YOU posted is by This Company? ? ? ? Also out of stock...40 weeks to get it! It's just the best set I've ever seen....so worth waiting...I agree...

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Yes.

• deeinohio
    last year

We have a Meadowcraft wrought iron set at the lake: 4 coil chairs and fire pit. Incredible quality made in USA., and comfortable, even without cushions. We needed heavy so it would not blow away. We had to wait a while, and this was 5 years ago. Love your choice!

• nicole___
    last year

Geez....in the late 90's, my first internet purchase was cast aluminum patio furniture. I paid $1800, it was a name brand. I still have it. I did have to tie it down, 101mph winds at my last house. I have grown tired of it. I keep thinking I'm going to sell and move....or I'd be right there with you funky.....GREAT set. Lounging in that big chair cushion....looks like heaven! ❤️

Funkyart thanked nicole___
  • jill302
    last year

Been there, purchased my second favorite bed and have been disappointed ever since. Will eventually replace the bed but other things need to come first for me. Although I like your current patio set, it is wonderful that you have the opportunity for a redo. Your favorite set is just beautiful.

Funkyart thanked jill302
  • Funkyart
    Original Author
    last year

Just for FYIs.. the Ballard chairs are cast aluminum... the meadowcraft is wrought iron. I want the wrought iron but the MSRPs are comparable.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm