SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Reviving a "Waterfall" Japanese maple

I bought this Waterfall at least 15 years ago! Gah, times flies the older you get :-O

I kept it in a large container, in large part because I didn't really have a good place for it. It looked good for several years, until something clogged the drains and it sat in water for a long time without my knowledge! I fixed that and it came back.

The last year (or the year before? Again... time flies) we had cicadas, and I guess they dug in to the roots because I thought they'd killed it! But this year it came back again with new growth.

I finally put it in the ground today:

First question: since this is a mature tree in a new location, should I just use water, or is it time for fertilizer yet?

Second question: I snapped all of the dead limbs off if they snapped easily, but stopped when the apparent dead limb started to flex instead of snap. Is that right, or should I cut it off closer to the new growth?

Third question: the roots and trunk do NOT look great! It had a lot of pine needles and leaves in the container, could they be the source of the black color and cracked bark? Or am I dealing with something more major?

Comments (6)