SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pmosier61

Help with Furniture Layout in Open Floor Plan Great Room

Sofia
last year

Our new build is chugging along and it’s time to make decisions around fireplace, tv, and lighting fixture placement. First, I feel like I need to know how everything will come together. But I’m just not sure. Would love to tap into all the collective creativity and experience here!

Photo below is the floor plan with dimensions and all windows/doorways. There are no other obstructions. Wall height is 15’ with a sloped ceiling that peaks at 18’ (dotted line).

This will be our primary hangout/entertaining space. DH and I will live here full time with DD home on college breaks. Our other 5 adult children + spouses live in the area and visit often. Would love to seat 10+ for dining and/or TV watching on some occasions.

I do get that options are somewhat limited. Dining table needs to be at the south end of the room. But where? And can it be round?

TV and fireplace both need to be on the north wall. But does the TV have to be above the fireplace? What are the possibilities for comfortable seating for conversation or watching a movie/game?

Comments (10)