SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgash_art

Room of Shame; what flooring works with both red oak and maple?

dgash_art
last year

We need to redo our northern exposure FR. It currently has off-white carpeting that is begging to be put out of its misery. The 8' wide hall abutting has natural red oak, and the kitchen also has an 8' wide opening with maple (oak overload). The carpet and curtains were innocent victims of "The Cat Pee War", and the oriental rug that ties together the couches and pillows rolled up and ran away for safety. I can only post 6 photos, so you will have to imagine the horror show that was the light blue curtains (from the brief trend that was red and light blue-green) and is the carpet.
We clearly need flooring that is pet mess friendly and light in color, but don't want to go with more hardwood (cost, maple didn't hold up in the kitchen, please- no more oak). LVP looks terrible next to real wood. We found a light gray LVT (last photo), or back to carpet (and prayers).
We're going to redo the fireplace- narrow white shelves between fp and windows (inset miniblinds), wallboard above cherry mantle) and white cultured stone below with dark gray fp cover. Removing the raised hearth and putting dark slate floor hearth as visual border between white stone and whatever light floor material gets picked. Room is currently cameo white, will get painted truer white, including all trim.
Please note the additional design challenge of the raised alcove with a dark cherry cabinet (hence the cherry mantle). All other existing furniture must make compelling arguments for their existence, furniture suggestions are welcome too.
Did I mention that the room is 18x22 and sunken? Photo #1 shows the need for some brilliant design ideas on fixing the step down/alcove step "situation", as the floor guys call it.
So, what do I do about a big floor abutting (but a step down) red oak and maple? Is light gray a trend that will look dated now? Is LVT acceptable in great rooms or considered more a kitchen, bathroom, basement flooring? The house is 3200 sf, older but nice neighborhood in SE Michigan.

Comments (15)