SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leesadean

IKEA Kitchen installation questions

Hi everybody,

I'm currently bidding on an apartment in a coop. It's mid-priced apartment in a VERY strict coop in the outer boroughs of NYC that's a real fixer-upper. I LOVE fixer-uppers and was hoping for an apartment like this. I can afford it and afford to renovate it to my tastes.

Without even owning the apartment (yet, fingers crossed) I've already run into some issues, one with the contractor and the other with the Ikea ordering process and would love some tips from anyone who's been through similar problems.

1) The building has a contractor they normally use for all renovations. He lives in the building, does great work, is reasonably priced BUT has atrocious taste (to me) and, most importantly, refuses to install an Ikea kitchen (which is my taste--very modern---something like this--> https://www.ikea.com/us/en/rooms/kitchen/gallery/a-minimalist-kitchen-with-a-love-for-bamboo-pubb5a2c148)

The contractor is VERY arrogant and wants to do every kitchen renovation in HIS taste--which is all shaker-looking and pretty nuts .(not that he likes shaker style, which is fine, but that he won't do something in my taste).

Worse, the building coop board must approve anyone who does renovations on the apartment and the contractors must have over $5million in insurance (a lot!) so for a mid-priced apartment with a kitchen reno that normally costs around $30-$35K in that building, it's going to be hard to get someone. I'm open to any and ALL recommendations for someone who has that kind of insurance and will do an Ikea kitchen.

Since the apartment also needs to have the floors replaced (they're in TERRIBLE shape), I was thinking of using the building's contractor to do everything but the kitchen and getting a separate contractor to do the Ikea kitchen.

I'm open to any suggestions including comparably priced modern-looking cabinets or NYC area contractors that do Ikea kitchens, are easy to work with and have enough insurance to deal with the coop board.

2) The Ikea ordering process. YIKES! Went online last night and found out about the back-ordered nightmare there. Any tips on how to get cabinets quickly? I don't have the budget to pay rent on my current apartment and then wait for 6 months to START my renovation in my newly purchased coop while paying maintenance there.

Since I have to replace the floors in the new place, it seems crazy to do all the renovation EXCEPT the kitchen and move in and move all my furniture into the new place while I wait for the new kitchen (I'm planning on getting light blonde wood flooring and I cringe thinking about renovating the rest of the place, moving in and THEN starting demo/renoation on the kitchen and rolling appliances, etc. over the brand new flooring).

Or is it?

If that's not the problem I envision it will be, please chime in. Because that would absolutely be a great solution. I'm even open to doing a partial kitchen reno (say doing the demolition and putting in the new floors and appliances but it would be nuts to live there for six months without a kitchen sink or counters).

I'm open to any and all suggestions and greatly appreciate any/all tips (including someone saying, hey, don't buy a new apartment till 2023, lol)

THanks all.

Comments (39)