SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgash_art

What flooring works with both natural red oak and maple?

dgash_art
last year

I have red oak in much of my first floor, with an 8 foot opening to the sunken FR. I disliked the original dark stain on the oak when we moved in (2002), so I put maple in the kitchen, which also has a large opening to the FR. The cream carpeting (2002) is completely shot due to massive pet staining and old age. I need pet-proof (senior pets), light value (northern exposure room) flooring.

We're going to redo the fireplace (currently orange reclaimed brick with raised hearth) to wallboard above the mantle and cultured stone below, all in white, and put a dark slate floor hearth for contrast. To add yet another twist, there's an alcove in the FR that is a step up, and has a dark cherry cabinet in it. Might make the mantle the same color so at least something matches.

I've looked at LVP, but fake wood looks terrible next to 2 real woods. I found a light grey LVT, but consensus on Houzz is that grey is out. Back to carpet and hope that newer carpet is more pet stain resistant? I would post before pictures but the carpet is beyond embarassing .

Comments (3)