SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jorie_culligan

How far up the wall should tile go in the shower in a main bathroom?

Jo- lee Rose
last year
last modified: last year

I am remodeling my primary bathroom and the long wall that is opposite of the very long vanity contains the shower ( to be glassed in ) and the full size tub that backs up to the shower bench wall.

All around the top of every wall in the rectangular room there is a consistent 2 foot painted area - above the vanity, the tub with it's large window, and above the doors to the water closet, the master closet and the exit door at the end of the room. I think it is what keeps the room balanced, but my contractor and a few friends say the tile should go to the ceiling in that part of the room.

*** This picture does not show that fact that the vanity, long mirror and wall lights have been removed.**

I want to show the layout of the room. Unfortunately the glass block window has to stay- I live in a planned community and it's almost impossible to get that changed out. Also the existing tub is staying as it is. My husband is wanting to keep it as the size and structure of it are easy for him to use it after he goes golfing.

The vanity is being replaced with a white custom vanity with a honed Danby marble countertop. A make up area will be in the middle and there will be more drawers than doors. The walls will also be painted white.

All the fixtures will be done in a polished nickel finish and the new floor will be a Daltile Stepwise product in the Emerson Park pattern. The planks will be cut to a 12" x 2.8" size and laid in a herringbone pattern.

The shower floor area has been sculpted out to be a curbless shower with a Wedi backing and floor with a linear drain. The floor will flow into the shower. and the shower will be enlarged about 5" deeper to the edge of the wall.

The medicine chests have been removed and hopefully will be inserted in a recessed mode in their same place.

The tile I have purchased for the shower is a large format 24" x 48" marble look porcelain.

Anyone who has pro's and cons I would love to hear them - All suggestions accepted.

This is an expensive project and I'm really not confident about how to tile this layout.

I have poured over countless pictures on Houzz, but the layout isn't the same here.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/137340801/thumbs/jorie-s-ideas?share=clipboard

Comments (16)