SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neil_fennessey

Hiding closet doors...advanced edition

Neil Fennessey
last year
last modified: last year

Hi.
Picture a 10 foot wall. Behind 6 feet of that wall will be the laundry closet. To the casual observer, the wall will look like one solid wall covered in vertical oak sheets of paneling. I want to pull a handle and have the left 2/3rds open and hide somehow into the wall. Now this could be 2 3' doors that are hinged in the middle and individually slide into their respective sides of the laundry closet. Or they open into smaller hinged panels that hide behind that one third on the right I'm open to what ever options hide the doors and get them out of the way. There was a European company that made hardware to do this but it stopped selling it. The doors will be heavy so perhaps this is a really complicated deal. Has anyone seem anything like this? For kitchen cabinets for light/smaller cabinet doors, rockler sells sliding hinges. But these doors will be beasts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Extra - in the area below - to give you perspective - the wall is 10 feet wide. We are focused on the red area. The "b78" is the vanity in the master bathroom. And obviously the thing that looks like the toilet...is the toilet. I'm going to share in the plumbing so that the whole region will work on the same drain pipes and water supplies.

That red - can be the doors. They could fold up into the unit like the second photo but that takes away some wall space. The third option - the one I prefer pulls them to the side but it requires you to fold it into the room a bit.

Comments (13)