SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

Good grief…of all people

nini804
last year

In my family…*I* just tested positive for CV! After all this time! And the weird thing is, I haven’t really done anything ”dangerous“ in the week prior to my symptome. Don’t get me wrong…we’ve been pretty much socializing like normal since we’ve been vaccinated and boosted and all that- I just hadn’t been been to any gatherings in the past week. I mean…grocery store?

It’s ironic, I was a bit blue that both of the kids were in the middle of finals & couldn’t come home for Mother’s Day…now I am SO GLAD they weren’t here this weekend! Those little boogers socialized throughout the entire pandemic and NEVER tested positive! 😡

Timeline…woke up with a really mild sore throat Sunday. So mild I rode Peloton & did everything I would normally do. Figured it was just a dry throat. Yesterday morning sore throat was gone, ran 5 miles, seemed ok. Went into the city to tennis shop to look for a new racquet (feeling bad about this now…shop owner spent a decent amount of time with me.😔) Anyway, started feeling ”puny” in the afternoon…just kind of yucky. When dh came home he took my temp & it was 99. I don’t usually run a fever with my colds so whipped out one of my handy free tests-negative. Dh still slept in the guest room bc he didn’t want whatever it was.

Had a slight fever again in the middle of the night, but felt better when I woke up. Dh wanted me to test again to see if he should work from home. I was loathe to waste one of my free tests, but did it. I was shocked it was positive! 😩 It was one of those faint positives like they show in the directions. Weird thing is I feel a lot better than I did last night.

I guess the timing is good? We are traveling to NE in 12 days…was worried we would get it up there…now, that worry is gone, lol. Apparently getting vaxed won’t keep you from getting this! For those of y’all who had this…how long did it take before you were negative/no symptoms?

Comments (51)

• Springroz
    last year

It sounds like you will be rebounding in no time! The Coof cough (if you get that) can linger for a bit. Heal quickly!!

nini804 thanked Springroz
  • Jilly
    last year

Oh, boo. Hope you feel better soon! ❤️

nini804 thanked Jilly
  • Related Discussions

All of You Furniture People & Those Who Love a Good CL ad....

Q

Comments (22)
    Oh brother..... They must have spent a lot of time in IT-ly because here is another set from a High End Furniture store in Itly. And, I'm sorry to tell you, the coffee table is NOT for sale. Someone should tell them they overpaid for it originally and really should stop going to Itly to buy furniture. Here is a link that might be useful: Another Set from Itly from same seller
    ...See More

The goodness of people

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you for sharing your thankfulness, Cheryl - it made not only your day (week?) but the days of several of us, as well. I hope that you find meaningful employment soon. ((((((Cheryl, daughter - and Pat))))) and please tell your daughter that she just got a cyber-hug ... sent all the way from Canada (and maybe you'd deliver it to her on my behalf). ole joyful
    ...See More

All you Stove people (Culinarian especially)

Q

Comments (12)
    Sure Night Owl. I used 1/2 bushel (about 20 lbs) of Romas. I have a Victorio mill, so I strain them through the mill - you want only the juice (just like you're making puree). Add salt to taste (I added 8T kosher salt to this 20 lb. batch - you can add less or none). Then I cook that down for 1-2 hours until it is a nice and thick puree. Lightly oil shallow baking sheets with olive oil. Pour the puree on the sheet (I fill the sheet about 1/2 way up) and bake at 200 for several (4-8) hours. Stir often (I stirred about once an hour, but more often is fine). As it thickens, be sure to spread as evenly as possibly on your baking sheets. The thinner you spread, the faster it dries/thickens. Don't take it out too soon, because it won't be thick enough. I try to envision a can of paste and make mine that thick. But don't leave it too long or it will burn. Nothing like being exact, huh?!!
    ...See More

Good method for growing alpine plants for people with heavy clay

Q

Comments (6)
    A pot inside a pot full of gravel inside a hole dug into clay is still in a hole that could fill up with water. Put the pots with plants in them on top of the clay soil and fill in around them with gravel. It's a bit like making a tiered garden—some pots are set an inch or two above the base soil; the next group is set atop deeper gravel; a few are set on a still deeper gravel layer. The edge of this area is made of small boulders and cobble. More boulders/cobbles are used to create an abrupt level change, but most of the gravel will be a mix of sizes between 1 and 3 inches. You don't want even sided levels. You want gravel slopes that meander down the sides of this area. You can use rounded gravel, though crushed gravel looks more like scree. It's more important to have the color of your gravel, cobble and boulders be similar. Since most alpine plants are growing in thin soil over a layer of scree, you can even use a mix of pea gravel and potting medium. Check the cultural requirements for each plant. Because the pots are surrounded and sitting on gravel drainage will be excellent. But you are worried about too much rain, and it sounds like you are using plastic pots. You can increase drainage and air infiltration by drilling 1/4" holes in the sides of the pots. Make holes about an inch apart on all sides from top to bottom. I know, lots more work, just what you wanted. It may not be necessary, and is just a solution I picked up from an orchid grower. The fact that your plants will be in pots and surrounded by gravel may keep the voles at bay. Animal activity is not always predictable. Deer are my biggest problem. They sometimes eat deer-resistant plants, and if there is a drought even the reliably resistant plants will be munched on. Sigh. Your list of plants is really nice. I looked up most of them, though I could not find them all. Best of luck. Gardening is all about optimism. - Mary Anne Radmacher
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    last year

So sorry! DH’s test was very faint, too. I hope yours stays relatively mild and passes quickly.

I was pretty much fine in a week, though got tired easily for a couple more weeks. DH has been more stubborn, the cough and congestion hung on so long that the dr put him on an antibiotic, thinking it had turned into a sinus infection. Plus Zyrtec instead of whatever he had been taking before for the congestion. It helped and he’s fine now…but it took about a month.

My advice is to rest a lot, even if you don’t feel too bad. DH insisted on getting on the Peloton, etc., and I wonder if that contributed to his extended yuckiness.

nini804 thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

Wow that is fainter than my results were, after eight days! FWIW though, I’ve heard that you can’t rely on faintness. The test is not that sensitive and it’s just a binary question, yes or no.

Anyway, feel better soon

nini804 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Nini, it's going around my area like wildfire. I thought it was said that the vaccine and boosters are not great against the newest variants -- they're finding a way around them. Good advice on resting and hope you are better soon.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Ugh, so sorry, nini. I hope this will pass quickly and unremarkably for you.

I do not think anyone will ecape this round. The wastewater data from the Bay Area show the virus is completely rampant.

nini804 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Glad it is a mild case for you.

I hope you let the store person know!

nini804 thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I felt bad for a couple of days. Just cold symptoms plus tiredness and it was also in the middle of allergy season, so I think some of my symptoms were allergies on top of C. I tested positive 2 days after symptoms, negative 4 days later. DH started getting sick 4 days before me. We both were clear at the same time.

We have no idea where we were exposed. Hope you are better soon!

nini804 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

So hard to know. Just talking to gf whose DH had twice two different times tested positive at home and then pcr test said negative. And another friend tested neg at home and I told him to go get a pcr test and he was positive. It's the wild west out there with this stuff.

IAC, nini, I hope you feel 100% really soon!

nini804 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Funkyart
    last year

Oh no-- sorry to hear but if you had to get it before your trip, NOW is the time to get it, I guess. Glad you are already feeling better...hope that continues! 💗

nini804 thanked Funkyart
  • teeda
    last year

Sorry you are dealing with this, but hoping your case is as mild as possible!

nini804 thanked teeda
  • petalique
    last year

oh, no, nini. I hope you recover quickly and that you did not infect hubby or the tennis shop clerk.

But, WHAT?? you’re zipping about without a quality mask?! Oh course, vaccinated individuals can still contract Covid-19. The vaccinations are just one of the prudent layers of protection. IF someone wants to truly have the best defense against contractiing Covid-19 as they interact and work with others, they should be completely vaccinated, wear a wll-fitted quality mask such as an N95 or KN95 or two surgical/proceddural medical masks (often blue paper with ties — wear two together. And still maintain some physical distance. Do not remain around others for any longer than you need to. In and out. Avoid crowded places with shared air and unmasked Covid-clueless others.

Avoid getting your ”information” or ”news from sites that only use weekly reader level vocabulary and are emotion-based versus fact-based (like almost all ”Talk radio”; One America, NewsMax (Russian TV fill in) or Fox (sensational, and dishonest, IMO).

I’m glad the kiddies couldn’t make it home. I know you're thankful. I wish you a quick recovery. Hubby should open the windows, mask w good mask and stay away ;-)

You should probably inform the clerk at the tennis shop.

nini804 thanked petalique
  • nini804
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, I definitely called the tennis shop. He was so funny…didn’t seem at all worried. He was more worried about me not getting enough time to demo the racquets 😂…told me I could keep them until I feel able to get to the club to try them out (which of course I won’t do until I get a negative test.)

@petalique ….where did I say I was ”zipping around without a quality mask?” The only places I mentioned going in the past week were the grocery store & the tennis shop, and I never mentioned whether I was wearing a mask or not.

• petalique
    last year

Oh, then sorry, nini. I incorrectly inferred this from one of your comments about not realizing that one could still get Covid-19 even if vaccinated. Its all over the news that one can, and so on. And you did not mention wearing a mask.

You wrote: ”…we’ve been pretty much socializing like normal since we’ve been vaccinated and boosted and all that- I just hadn’t been been to any gatherings in the past week. I mean…grocery store?”

I understood ”socializing as normal” to mean pretty much socializing as pre-covid normal (that is what I consider normal — pre-covid, pre-Q, pre-strong man oriented cultural longings on the part of way too many. To me, ”zipping around” is what the vast majority of us were able to do with complete carefree abandon before the 2-3 years of the highly contagious Covid-19 pandemic.

Definition: “Zip around” — with or without a fun Vesper or rollerblades. Mixing, visiting, sharing, hugging, giggling, sharing sips of frappes, dinner parties, pool and lake parties, museaums, school plays, concerts, movies and shared popcorn, meetings buds for coffee, art and writing and poetry groups an classes; erupting in gales of spontaneous laughter —- all of that lively ”Normal” social play and interaction before Covid-19 infected and killed millions worldwide.

I consider grocery store shopping as technically equivalent to socializing with respect to the ability to unwittingly contract Covid-19 or measles, inflenza or a cold. Pretty much the same ingredients — shared expelled air, commonly touched objects, maybe eyes or faced touched without being conscious of it — adjusting glasses, mask or scratching an itch. Most of us do these things automatically, without realizing it. A lot of people are going to populated places, stores, markets, visits without masks (any masks, even junk bandanas) these days. One of my relatives does that. She tells me, ” well, everyone else is doing it….”

I am a sciencey-type egghead, among other things. Rational, analytical, love problem solving, rational thinking and finding lost things using deductive reasoning. (Lose a contact lens? Quick, call me. Ditto with keys dropped in snow.)

So, nini, I apologize if I stepped over the line with my loves-science and logic imagination.

But now I am even more intrigued. So you had a well-fitted quality N95 or similar mask, kept a distance, and you still contracted Covid-19? Again, I hope you recover completely and uneventfully.

I guess that goes to underscore just how contagious is this nasty virus.

I have long suspected that the severity of an infection might be related to how much of an innoculent dose one gets. Others suspect this. And, of course, being well vaccinated and wearing a good well fitted mask help tremendously.

Great that you called that really nice tennis shop salesperson and that you dont have to rush to return the racquets. I bet you can’t wait to try them.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I'm sorry you're sick! I hope the symptoms continue to be mild and your family stays virus-free.

At least in my area things calmed down after a nasty surge we had earlier this year. But I think the cases are picking up some based on more of my coworkers reporting testing positive. Thankfully I can continue working remotely to minimize that risk at least. Not everyone is as privileged as I am in that regard (including my husband). I hope for the best for everyone here, no or very mild illnesses.

nini804 thanked pricklypearcactus
  • gsciencechick
    last year

Sorry, nini! You should hopefully be testing negative by the time you go on your trip.

I think at this point you have to assume that in ANY indoor setting, you are at risk. Petalique, at work I use N95, KN95, a HEPA filter in my office, use a CO2 meter, had class moved to a larger room (though I am not sure that space was as well ventilated as it could have been). But who knows where I got it, though school is most likely.

nini804 thanked gsciencechick
  • texanjana
    last year

I’m so sorry Nini. I hope your case is mild and uneventful.

nini804 thanked texanjana
  • petalique
    last year

That is good to hear gsciencechick. I was reading about the CO2 meters. Soe medical offices and gyms are using them. My understanding is that they monitor the Carbon Dioxide which is indicative of how much exhaled air (from us humans) is in an area. The more CO2, the greater concentration of exhaled breath. The context is important, of course, but the opertor of the meter will understand if she’s got a huge auditorium, gym or class room or a modest 14’ ft x 20 ft office. A high reading can suggest lousy ventilation or outside air (to displace and dilute the air exchanged by humans that may or may not be infected with Covid-19. A small medical waiting room with no outside air or ventilation and 20 payients crammed iny\to it would give a high CO2 reading. Open all the windows, break down an outside wall and the concentration level drops.

Its an indirect indicator or relative risk, but I like the concept.

My dentist’s office was outfitted with lots of filtration. Everyone but the patient while in the dental chair had masks. Nobody allowed wo a mask.

One thing, however, his stack of electric air filters included an ”ionizing” filter. I believe I’ve read that breathing in ioized air or particles isn’t recommended. Do you know the story with that, GSci?

And, of course, we want to know how your feeling after contracting Covid-19 a few weeks back. I hope it was uneventful and that you’ve fully recovered.

In New England and other regions, Covid cases are again on the upswing. People want to rush into going mask free, then, guess what, the number of Covid-19 cases increases. People should appreciate that some of the discontinued mask mandates have been propelled by o many of us growing weary, being fed up, wanting life back as it was. And a good measure is because of politics. Huge swaths of our citizenry feel that science be darned. Live free or die. Or get infected. The reality is that almost all of us are at some risk when we interact with other humans, even fully vaccinated ones. I don’t know if we, the US, Canada, Europe, India, South America, Asia, Africa and the North Pole will ever again be Covid-19 free. It would help mitigate a lot of infections if we could extend ourselves to ignore the politically pressured lack of stated policies and continue to employ layers of protective measures. Ignorte what other people at Dennys or the mall are doing. Just continue to be inconvenienced a bit and prudent. No politician is going to pay the complex and varied “cost” of any of us individua;ls and or family members or friends becoming infected.

I am a bit of an introvert, but do miss working and connecting with others. If I go to a restaurant, it at off hours when there is hardly nyone around and the space is ample and the staff is masked up.

GSci, did your university ever go back to masks or more spacious rooms? Did you have to buy you CO2 meter yourself?

• pudgeder
    last year

Hope you're over this quickly & smoothly!

nini804 thanked pudgeder
    last year

I hope you are doing alright today.

nini804 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Yes, how are you feeling?

• nini804
    Original Author
    last year

I feel mostly better (no fever at all in the past 24 hrs) but now my nose is runny, and invariably when that starts with every previous cold virus I’ve ever had- it causes me to cough every time I lay down. So I am waiting for that fun cough🙄.

Dh is still negative, thank goodness! He’s still sleeping in the guest room, and we both wear masks when he’s home. So glad kids are both at school! I’m going to test Sunday. We leave for our trip in 10 days and I am positively antsy bc I have all this stuff that I need to go do before then (stuff like taking dresses to be altered that I can’t do online, lol lol!) I hate sitting around the house. 😂 My friends keep dropping off soup and goodies at my front door…I’m afraid I’m going to gain a Covid 10 if I’m not careful! 😳😂

Thanks for checking on me! Hey, @mtnrdredux_gw did you take Paxlovid?

• OllieJane
    last year

Petalique, you're a hoot!

• petalique
    last year

I’m glad you’re feeling ok and have no fever. Good news that your DH is okay. I hope your friends can take your dresses to the tailor for you.

Can you take something like an antihistamine (non-drowsy) to keep the runny nose in check? With so many things to get done beore your trip, I can appreciate your feeling restless while confined.

Best to you and your DH.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

No, I didn't take anything but Nyquil. My version was so mild and so short I did not even call the Dr. and I certainly would not have wanted to use any scarce resources. I described it to someone as a "30th percentile" cold; ie of all the colds I have had, 70% were worse than my COVID experience.

• OllieJane
    last year

Nini, you seem to be doing well going on with normal life-don't buy into all the scare tactics.

nini804 thanked OllieJane
  • OllieJane
    last year

mtn, nothing wrong with being prudent, I am too. But, medical advice some follow on here, has been just flat-out wrong so many times, and are trying to scare and intimidate people on here.

nini804 thanked OllieJane
  • roarah
    last year

At my school, staff is asked to stay out for a minimum of 5 days from first symptom and to wear a mask for another 5 days after they return. I think they are following the CDC guidelines. No more contract tracing with healthy quarantines just positive people are asked to isolate. I really think I am one of they only staff to not yet catch it. I still wear a mask always in public and do not take it off to even eat or drink inside.

Hope you continue to improve!

nini804 thanked roarah
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

But, medical advice some follow on here, has been just flat-out wrong so many times, and are trying to scare and intimidate people on here.

I do not understand this sentence

• Oakley
    last year

"I am a sciencey-type egghead, among other things. Rational, analytical, love problem solving, rational thinking and finding lost things using deductive reasoning. (Lose a contact lens? Quick, call me. Ditto with keys dropped in snow.)"

Petal, are you by chance a Virgo? You just described me to a T.

nini804 thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    last year

Roarah, that's the same protocol my son recently followed.

nini804 thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Oak, I think we established on a recent thread that Zalco, SueB and I are all Virgos too... and I think a few others. Don't recall the thread.

• Oakley
    last year

Mtn, I had no idea! Oh thank God, I'm not alone. lol. My family hates to watch a mystery with me because I have it figured out 30 min. in. I annoy people because I seem to know everything which I do because I read/research constantly.

I even have the tee shirt.

nini804 thanked Oakley
  • nini804
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, mtn, that was my thought as well regarding the Paxlovid. I’m not in an at-risk group so I didn’t want take it from someone who may need it more. I just had a couple of friends telling me I should have gotten it bc ”so and so got it and they IMMEDIATELY felt better,” lol lol. I did read some unappealing side effects (google ”Paxlovid mouth” for a fun read😂) but of course, the end justifies the means for sure.

As far as comparing this to my normal colds…it basically *is* my normal cold. I don’t get sick very often, but when I do, it’s this same cold. Sore throat first, then a day of feeling puny/punky, then bring on the upper respiratory symptoms (I include cough with this, bc my cough is brought on by that nasty post-nasal drip.) Occasionally this will devolve into bronchitis, but usually just in the winter. Really hope no bronchitis with this.🤞🏻

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

While I'm over in Portugal walking the Camino de Santiago my hyper vigilant family is getting Covid. 😢

So far my son, his fiancée, and my daughter all have it. They were all together at my son's place in Minneapolis. My husband was there too, but flew home about 15 hours before my son tested positive on Monday night. The two girls tested positive today, and now my daughter is missing a work trip to Cannes.

Fortunately my husband has no symptoms, and multiple home tests have been negative. He might get a PCR today to make sure.

nini804 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • rubyclaire
    last year

Piling on to your thread nini - hope you can avoid any further symptoms and feel 100% very soon. I returned from my trip to NYC last week and two days later had the usual symptoms of a cold/upper respiratory thing. Felt puny for about 4 days but no fever. I took a home test everyday Wednesday - Sunday and never tested positive. Wondering now if I should have (or should) do a PCR test. While I isolated through this Tuesday and I feel almost 100% - I fear there is a potential for a sinus infection as that is the only place where I have lingering congestion/pressure. Ugh. I have not been sick in over three years and had forgotten how crappy even a mild illness can be.

nini804 thanked rubyclaire
  • sheesh
    last year

My son and three of his four kids are positive, but so far his wife is not. Son was sent home from work after a positive test yesterday, though he felt fine. Hours later, two of his kids got sick at school and went home, third child tested positive this morning. Today son feels quite sick but the kids have mild cases.

The good news: our daughter delivered her second son at 5:02 this morning! All is well with both.

nini804 thanked sheesh
  • Jilly
    last year

Terri, ugh! I hope they all recover quickly. And I hope you’re having a great trip.

Sheesh, congratulations! So glad everything went well! And hope everyone else feels better soon.

nini804 thanked Jilly
  • lisaam
    last year

Terezosa - i know you have shared some info here in the past re your camino experience but wonder if you would be able to begin a new discussion?

I read a mediocre novel but it re-piqued my interest.

Happy travels!

Nini - continued good wishes that soon you’ll be on the other side of this thing and will have boosted your ability to ward off the v while traveling.

nini804 thanked lisaam
  • nini804
    Original Author
    last year

Congrats, Sheesh! And I hope your son & family feel better soon.

I hope your congestion doesn’t turn into a sinus infection, Rubyclaire. 😔 Feel better!

I hope your family is better soon, Terri! Enjoy your amazing trip!

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Lisaam - I do have a blog. As I've told my friends and family, I don't promise to write much or well!

https://findpenguins.com/5ixpjr3zqtulh/trip/6264c98a7cb277-86757202

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Congrats Sheesh! I hope that someday I'm get to be a grandma.

• petalique
    last year

Sheesh, congratulations!

• Tina Marie
    last year

Sheesh - congrats on the new grandbaby!!

All of those sick - get well soon - and with minimal symptoms. To my knowledge (from others who have had Covid), you have to qualify for Paxlovid. Not everyone sick with Covid can get it.

We are living life (with precautions if necessary). We just returned from 10 days away. I admit I am wondering if we will end up sick. Mostly though we were not up close and personal with people and we were not in any group gatherings, etc. We did eat out, of course, but we ate outside more than inside. Still, I'm kind of watching and waiting. Here in our area you do not see many masks, even for employees, etc. I am still ordering groceries as it seems the grocery store is one of the worst places where people seem to want to invade my space!

nini804 thanked Tina Marie
  • sheesh
    last year

Thank you all for the good wishes. I appreciate them. It is a strange day of joy for my new grandchild and worry about my sick kids. May all of you who are sick get well quickly.

nini804 thanked sheesh
  • lascatx
    last year

My son, a teacher, was told by the school nurse that he should go home and get a PCR test. She said there is a new Covid strain circulating here that presents with symptoms like his (sore throat/cold kind of thing) but it is not getting caught by home testing. It makes me wonder if what people are saying is a cold or virus but not Covid is the new strain but people are only home testing. That's not a criticism - I took a home test that was negative myself when I was coughing and my head was congested. Now I wonder -- but I was not as bad as DS is. He was here for dinner last night and I drove his car to go pick up something. I guess I could still get it. If he does pop positive, this will be the second time this school year.

Hope everyone feels better. And congrats on the grandbaby, Sheesh!

nini804 thanked lascatx
  • petalique
    last year

^^^ lascatz, I hope not. What area of the country?

nini, how are you feeling? is your DH still good?

last year

Congrats, sheesh. Babies bring so much magic into our lives.

I have read about the new strain of Covid too. I believe it is already here. I cannot wait formthis chapter in our lives to be relegated to the history books!

Nini, I hope you are doing well. Sending ❤️

• jmck_nc
    last year

I had cold symptoms, as did my son, last month. We did the home testing, negative. I had to visit my Dr because all colds end up in my lungs and was given a PCR test based on my symptoms. Negative. So, there are also colds going around. Hope all who have the real thing recover well!