SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_k_adams

Landscaping help!

I have large mature holly bushes that go all the way across the front of my brick ranch style home. I am going to be pruning them to shape them up and make them smaller so they are situated below the windows -- these bushes grow so fast!

I do NOT want to get rid of the holly bushes, at least for now, but I do want to soften the look up with adding other plants to the area. I do have a septic tank system under the ground in front of the smaller barberry bushes and holly bushes on the right of the image, so I do need to be careful about what I plant. I am in zone 8a and the house faces west with one end of the house getting blasted with hot sun late in the afternoon (most of the day it is dappled light) while the other end basically goes from bright shade to dappled light throughout the day. What do you suggest I plant in this area to soften the look of the holly bushes? I want something easy to maintain. Thanks in advance.

Side note- this is an older photo, so the hydrangea in the far right of the image is gone as it couldn't handle the hot sun in the afternoon. The monkey grass area, I'm going to be planting hostas and heuchras and also cleaning up the entire area and laying black mulch down there and under the holly bushes. The grass has filled in some in the front yard and we will be adding more seed very soon.

Comments (16)