SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flannery2021

Seek ideas to create a powder room in this space.

flannery2021
last year
last modified: last year

I am looking for ideas to create a powder room in this space. Bedroom 6 is intended to be an exercise or study room; but I hope bedroom 6 has direct access to bath 5. and create another powder room for game room. Can I carve out a space from bath 4 or bath 5? or move the R/A area in bath 5 to another place? any ideas?

Add a bath 5 zoom in picture below

Comments (67)

• suzanne_m
    last year

You would need to move the R/A. I would put a shower instead of a tub in the bathroom shared by bedrooms 5 and 6. I centered the sink on the three vanities of the two main bathrooms but I would in fact move them on one side so you have bigger drawers.

• shirlpp
    last year

Is this a B&B? Why does all of the bathrooms need 2 sinks?

• Related Discussions

Seeking ideas to utilize long narrow spaces for kitchen + family room

Q

Comments (1)
    Post in the kitchen forum. There are quite a few layout experts there to help.
    ...See More

Seeking ideas to utilize long narrow spaces for kitchen + family room

Q

Comments (20)
    This is our first remodel project and we've certainly learned some lessons. We interviewed 4 companies - 2 design build firms and 2 architects. DH's uncle is an architect in another state and he was our sounding board as we went through the process, and gave suggestions on floor plan. Ideally, we would've had him do our house, but we couldn't afford it. We liked one architect's design portfolio, but decided we didn't have the money to do what they could've designed to really take advantage of their creativity. One of the design build's firm work was more in line with what we knew we could pull off. The floor plan they came up with is a good use of our space. If we had unlimited money, we would've gone a different option. Be prepared to consider options. We were dead set against touching the 2 bedrooms as we needed the space to live in, but the weird walk-in closet in one bedroom was the perfect location for the master bathroom. There were 2 closets in this room and it was minor change - building a 5' wall to close it off from the bedroom and creating a doorway in the other wall for access to the master. This one change made the entire layout work. We did consider minor changes, but they didn't fix underlying problems with layout. That's why people are suggesting you consider relocating kitchen or opening up some walls. Yes it is more to do that, but it costs so much to do anything in the first place and it may be worth it. You won't know until you check.
    ...See More

Dining room..creating space in a small dining room /sitting room area

Q

Comments (3)
    Without an actual to scale plan of the space there is no way of knowing what will fit and I love the low cabinet with the art BTW. I think you might be able to put a round table in the DR but I need measurements of the spaces I never like fake greenery or flowers and the mirror is really not reflecting anything worth seeing twice
    ...See More

powder room ideas - refresh 60s decor

Q

Comments (14)
    @JD, you bring up a good point about tile size. In one pic, it looked like a square wall tile to me but now, on closer look, it reads like a 5 x 7 which would not be original, IIRC. Not a tile expert but I do recall plenty of pics of colourfully tiled 40s bathrooms which I wouldn't describe as "modern" unless "modern" simply conveys contemporary. For anyone interested, this Old House Journal article describes bathroom styles from the 20s to 40s.
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    last year

All these bedrooms and the washer/dryer is stuck in a hall closet without even room for storage or hanging stuff? Sorry but this whole upstairs looks like poor design.

And I'm guessing like Mark alluded to that this was not designed by a licensed architect but by a "designer".

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    last year

Would three entry doors to bathroom #5 be too much? If you moved the R/A and rearranged the tub and toilet, the right side of the room would essentially be a powder room:

Pocket door version:

The rectangles in BR#6 entry vestibule represent bookcases or shelves but can be omitted.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

Boom!! CPArtist beat me to it! Really 6 bedrooms and no laundry room? Where is the dirty laundry go to sit on laundry day? In the middle of the hall?

In some of the proposed plans, the shared wall to the bath could be pushed back to at least make the laundry closet a little deeper for a hamper or whatever.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

I am thinking about the space @suzanne_m made out of bath 4 to be the laundry room, would that address some of the comments about laundry room without space for basket?

• suzanne_m
    last year

I think that would make a good laundry room ... at least to store baskets. You may be able to make the current laundry room a little bit longer and have a powder room in that area.

EDIT: I don't think it would work. I just drew it with more precision and I believe the most you could do is a 5'6"x5'6" space and that would be too tight to move around:

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@mama goose_gw zn6OH Thank you for the pocket door idea. The architect doesn't want to have the powder room door facing the game room, but I think pocket door could help to separate out a powder room in a different arrangement. I will play with the layout more.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Is it possible to see more of the floor plan, mainly the area below bedroom 4?

• suzanne_m
    last year

This would give you a bigger laundry closet. Is there a stairs in the area identified by the green circle (I see written in light gray font)?

• suzanne_m
    last year

This one gives you a powder room and direct access to bathroom 5 from bedroom 6. The laundry closet is the same size as before but I put a closet just across the hallway for storing baskets (not ideal but better than nothing). I put some walls in green to bring the attention to you that these walls are moved from your original layout.

OR

A bigger powder room and a tub in bathroom 5. No direct entrance from bedroom 6 to bathroom 5.

flannery2021 thanked suzanne_m
  • 3onthetree
    last year

28 comments in and I don't understand why your architect is not doing this. They would just be approaching it similar to how the commenters are doing it here, thinking, moving, manipulating, . . . . except that your architect has all the information needed to do it, where we do not have enough information in this thread.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I would go back to architect with priorities and if one really is a powder room they need to sort it out. It’s a lot of bedrooms and bathrooms and space to not get what you want. Can you show more of the plan?

flannery2021 thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@suzanne_m Thank you for all the arrangements you provided. I will take your last one and the one with laundry in bath 4 when I see the architect on Friday. I have also been playing with it. I am not good at it, but I tried. I collected ideas from all the talented folks here. a closet near laundry room from you, the pocket door idea from @mama goose_gw zn6OH, change bedroom 6 door direction from @Karenseb. the attached is what I am thinking. I will take a few proposals when I meet with the architect. He is a very reputable architect in town; but his appt. is hard to get. if I don't get this nailed down in Friday's meeting, it will be another couple of weeks before the next appt. I can tell he missed a few things such as the double sink in bath 4 which doesn't make sense, the lack of space for laundry room. This thread has rightfully pointed out those design flaws and helped me to get fully prepared. Thank you all so much!

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@WestCoast Hopeful I tried but am not sure how to show more part of the plan but is still readable. I will see if I can figure it out tomorrow.

• suzanne_m
    last year

There are two attached WICs at the bottom of your floor plan. I am assuming that one is for bedroom 4. What is the other WIC for?

I am curious to see if there is a possibility of using the top part of the two WICs and make a bathroom for bedroom 4 and see if there is a reasonable amount of space left to create two closets somehow.

Then you could use the space from your current bathroom 4 to make a spacious laundry room and your current laundry room could become a powder room.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Here's another option. You get a large laundry closet and shelves for the game room. I moved things a little bit around for you to get a direct access from bedroom 6 to bathroom 5 but that causes that the R/A is moved and you lose space in the WIC. If you want you can leave it as is in the original plan but in that case I would switch the linen/vanity with the toilet so when you enter you see a vanity, not a toilet. Personally, I would keep that part the same as your original plan just to preserve the space in your WIC.

I drew the bathroom 4 just like Karen showed earlier.

The space beside W/D could have a counter top for folding clothes and shelves above for storage and empty space below for baskets.

• suzanne_m
    last year

If you want to eliminate some doors in the hallway, you might consider stacked W/D with a counter top at the other end.

EDIT: Note that I flipped the pedestal sink and the toilet in the power room so that when you walk from the game room to the powder room, you see the sink first, nit the toilet.

• suzanne_m
    last year

The bathroom 4 has a better layout for a shared bathroom because either person can use their sink when one is using the shower. You would not have that advantage if the shared bathroom is in bathroom 5.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

I did some research about AC chases, I am going to consult my AC man if we really need that many chases in the design and how large it needs to be. that would help with the arrangement.

• suzanne_m
    last year

If you go back to 5 days ago, I asked about two areas circled in red. Do you know what they are? Is it a space that can be used somehow? How about the text 'stairs' written beside bedroom 5's entrance? Can this space be used too?

Also if you could succeed in showing us the bottom part of the layout where we see only part of the two WICs, I am pretty sure houzzers will have other ideas.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

your circled red did prompt me to ask the architect through an email, he confirmed those are AC chases. I don't know if we need that many. I asked him who is the one designing the AC duct work and calculate the air return requirement; he hasn't responded yet. I checked my current house, we do not have air return vent in every bedroom and it works fine.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

the other WIC is for bedroom 3, I do not want to touch that part of the design.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

i do not know what that "stairs" next to bedroom 5 entrance is, I guess that's the ladder to attics.

• 3onthetree
    last year

The "up to dis. stair" is what I presume the architect is labeling as "disappearing." So required access to your attic and for air handler maintenance. Just in this snippet of a plan there are many oddities in layout, methods, and labels that are not what you would usually find with an architect-prepared drawing from one who is well-versed in this stuff.

• Jennifer K
    last year

You've said you don't like reach-in closets because they "take up too much wall space". So a couple of questions for you:

• what will you be using the extra 30" of wall space for, in each room with a reach-in closet?
    • how do you reconcile multiple doors into bathrooms with the desire for maximal wall space?
    • have you measured the linear hanging space of your current closet situation and determined the actual amount of hanging space you need? The closet design on your plan is truly sub-optimal. If you can tell your architect that bedroom X will have 1 permanent occupant who needs 10 linear ft of hanging space; but bedroom Y is really an exercise room and only needs a standard closet, you'll get a better plan.
  • flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

Some of the comments hinted that this is not designed by a professional architect. I actually paid top dollar to hire one of the most expensive and reputable architects in my area. The design has not met my expectations and I am frustrated enough. But I still need to progress my project and I really appreciate there are so many kind and talented people here willing to offer their ideas here.

• suzanne_m
    last year

How did the meeting with your architect go?

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

He didnt like any of the proposals. he said he could play with it to create a powder room, but he would need to charge extra for it and delay the schedule because it would require move of the walls. i didn’t realize he would charge extra because the design has not been engineered yet; otherwise i would not have come to Houzz to solicit ideas. my main concern is schedule. if he considers this as a major change, that means another 5-7 weeks. I dont want to delay the design any further. I had no choice but to agree no change to the design.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

By the way he greed there should not be two sinks in bath 4, he also got rid of the vent and R/A space in bath 5. he would make those changes.

• 3onthetree
    last year

"The design has not met my expectations and I am frustrated enough."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .V . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"but to agreed no change to the design"

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

This is ridiculous. He has designed a home that doesn’t meet your needs and is now basically forcing you to keep it as is. This so not okay and you should not accept it. If you said you wanted a powder room from the start and got this push back. This person is taking advantage of your wanting to move forward and not doing their job. Check your contract and correspondence with them. The architect sounds like a child who has their feelings hurt and is being stubborn.

• Jennifer K
    last year

Act in haste; repent at leisure.

The urgency you feel now to maintain your schedule will be something you regret later when you're thinking about all the money you spent on something you hate. You've employed your architect to design you a space that suits you. If he's not willing to do it, cut your losses.

• shirlpp
    last year

I had no choice but to agree no change to the design.

GULP! Seriously!!

• cpartist
    last year

Some of the comments hinted that this is not designed by a professional architect. I actually paid top dollar to hire one of the most expensive and reputable architects in my area. The design has not met my expectations and I am frustrated enough. But I still need to progress my project and I really appreciate there are so many kind and talented people here willing to offer their ideas here.

No you need to step back and regroup. It's obvious this architect is not working for you. Forget the sunk costs and go find someone who will create a plan that works for you and your lifestyle. You won't regret that but you will regret living in a house that doesn't work for you every single day.

I know, I know. You're in a rush to get started. I was too. In fact we were already in permitting when we decided what we had was not what we wanted and wouldn't work for us in the long term. We pulled our plans out of permitting, (bought another 1/2 lot to add to our small city lot) and redesigned the house so we got everything we wanted. That set us back over 5 months and that's not including the fact we had the builder from you know where who took 27 months to finish our house.

However I can now say that after living in our house for 3 years there are only two very minor things I'd change in the whole house. And neither affects the liveability of our house. If we had gone with our original plan, I know we'd have been very unhappy living in that house.

Don't shortchange yourself

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@WestCoast Hopeful his initial design had a full bath6 for bedroom 6 to the north of bedroom 6. bed5 and game room shared the barh 5. i asked him to change to shared bath for bed 5 and bed 6 to reduce the cost; but i didnt realize that would make bed5, bed6 and game room to share the same bathroom until i saw the pre-meetiing drawing. i thought we could revise in the meeting; but i guess i misunderstood the process. every request was done in a meeting setting, he would draw, and i needed to say yes or no in one hour meeting. i was not fast enough to spot problems.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

He felt it’s totally ok to have two secondary bedrooms and game room to share the same bathroom and people do that all the time. at the end of the meetign, he convinced us that the powder room upstairs is not that important. What do you all think? maybe most people would feel acceptable.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Would you consider returning to the idea of having a full bathroom for bedroom 6 on the North side of the plan? I think if you go with that, we might have good ideas on how to get you a layout that gives you a powder room and a good decent laundry space especially if he removes the R/A in bathroom 5 and the 2 sinks in bathroom 4.

Is that possible to see your original plan where there was a private bathroom for bedroom 6?

I think sharing a bathroom with 2 bedrooms has already its potential problem that one forgets to unlock the door when they are done. I image that it may happen even more often if the bathroom serves 3 areas.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@cpartist i wish i could find another good architect.

• shirlpp
    last year

Do you have a powder room on the first floor?

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@shirlpp yes, there is one

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@suzanne_m that would require an overhang area like a balcony and we do not like that. he said he would create a powder room but need to reduce bedroom 5 and bedroom 6 size . of course with additional delay and cost.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Did he mention why he did not like any of the proposals? I am asking because I felt this layout would give you a powder room and a more functional laundry space by adding the closet across the hall which are the things you would like to have.

• shirlpp
    last year

Then I am in agreement with the architect that you don't need a powder room on this floor. You have soooo many bathrooms that a powder room is really not necessary.

flannery2021 thanked shirlpp
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Sorry can you show the entire floor plan please.

flannery2021 thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@suzanne_m After we got rid of the R/A, he saw the opportunity to move the east wall of bath 5 to left by 1 to 2 ft to make game room bigger. He did try to make everything fit with your proposal after the 1 ft move of the wall; then he started to make his own sketch. Thanks Suzanne!

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@WestCoast Hopeful I know you have every good intention to help; but I don't want to post the whole floor plan to trigger more comments than what I need.

• flannery2021
    Original Author
    last year

@shirlpp That's what he said. He said his name is on the design and he would not give up a powder room if he viewed it important. Thanks

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

You are being taken for a ride here! This is your project and you should be driving it. I’m sorry you are getting sucked into this nonsense. You are going to end up with a home that doesn’t meet your needs because you want to stay on time. It’s ridiculous

• cpartist
    last year

@cpartist i wish i could find another good architect.

Get in touch with architectrunnerguywho is on this forum and works remotely.