SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_528228756

New Build: Outdoor Security Camera Trends: POE vs Nest or Simplisafe

HU-528228756
last year

Around the house - Would you go towards some POE cameras? Or current generation Nest or Simplisafe cameras? (I would insist upon powered - I don't want to mess w/ batteries)

What's the trend here?

POE Cameras:

The low voltage guy gave me the option to have him install pre-wired POE drops at the soffits around the house - he had 8 at about $90 ea. (8 is probably excessive - could drop it to 5 and get plenty of coverage). He said he could also do the cameras but he would be expensive and suggested I could save a lot if I wanted to DIY my own POE cameras later - appreciated his honesty.

'Smart Cams':

In addition to or in lieu of this can have electrician do just a couple of additional un-switched wall plugs up in the soffits for something like $30-50 ea. I can also utilize some of the security light boxes. Then I can use power adapters to power Nest or Simplisafe cameras that I can easily DIY. (and not worry about batteries)

(On the interior I'm already going w/ a Nest doorbell and some Nest devices like TStat, maybe a couple plugs and a couple smoke detectors...)

Comments (7)