SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeek_bird

I don’t know what to think of this kitchen shelf

scout
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

They installed while I was at work. I guess I was expeting something more like a solid piece of walnut and not so patchy but I dont necessarily hate it. In fact I don’t think it’s so bad? Maybe this is harder to make than a solide shelf? This is a midcentury modern home. The cabinets are getting new walnut fronts. I’ve been waiting for months, but I guess covid delays are holding things up.

What do I put on a kitchen shelf in a dusty town? I tried to add some things to see if it would help me get used to it. I wonder if glass cabinets would have been better. I still have a backsplash to do. I was thinking of white fireclay tile, 1”x6”, stacked.

Thank you!

Comments (63)

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I live in a dusty area too, and even top edges of tiles will need dusting. I'd paint if possible. Idk if these photos are of interest -

Sask Cres Kitchen · More Info

scout thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Btw, I don't mind your 'pieced' shelf. Seems bit more like your items, with thin lines.... better than a chunky piece of wood like above. Maybe you want it painted or other...

scout thanked everdebz
  • Related Discussions

I don't know what to think of these...

Q

Comments (5)
    I would have to agree with you Ted. It is not something that I like. I like good looking Bonsai's that can be somewhat contorted, but my personal choice is lifted up in a nice pot. Personal choices I guess. Rick
    ...See More

I Don't Know What I Don't Know About Mini Fridges

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Plllog! "That is, I know it's possible, but might not be in your budget." See, there's the crux of it. This little beverage center idea of mine was not in the original budget. (Nor, alas, were new drywall in the livingroom and halls, the gorgeous walnut top on my used cabinet island, the matching gorgeous top that will soon be on the new media cabinet and the near full gut of the bathroom.) And we're still determined to get through remodeling our ugly duckling without taking out a loan or dipping into savings. Conventional wisdom says: Wait until the coffers are full again but that's so hard to do. First off, I'm a cheapskate. Even if the goose who laid the golden egg waddled up onto my deck and built a nest, I'm not sure I would willingly pay someone to mess up the walls I just paid to fix. Second, I'm not quite cheap enough. My new kitchen is starting to look pretty good but, gosh, it would look so much better if the microwave and coffee maker didn't take up so much room on that one counter. I'm willing to spend a little bit more to change that, especially since I'm going to have a piece of countertop leftover that should be just the right size. Still, it's nice to know that it's possible. Maybe when the coffers ARE full again I'll put a tile counter outside on my deck to shade the golden goose should she happen to wander by ;) Thanks for your help!
    ...See More

I don't know what I want: white or medium wood kitchen?

Q

Comments (33)
    We were going to repaint our perimeter cabinets and add new cabinets in other parts of the kitchen. I planned to have the new cabinets contrast the perimeter. I went back and forth between dark cabinets or white cabinets for the perimeter (existing dark oak cabinets). Finally the thing that made me go white perimeter and dark island was one simple thing. I like to use dark rich colors on the walls. When the cabinets were dark oak, I never could use browns or taupes. Plus, my adjacent dining room is chocolate brown, and to have the dark color continue through the kitchen on the cabinets, might be too much, I felt. So, after much staring at my space and imagining how each option would work, I went with the white perimeter and peppercorn island. I love the fact that I can paint my kitchen walls any color and it will work. I just hated the fact that my kitchen cabinets in my "old" kitchen dictated my color choices. I like to change my colors every now and then. So take into account how the other rooms nearby are decorated/painted. Think about what color you might want to paint that room. See what works with your choices. Good luck, and like so many others have said, keep looking at photos and real kitchens...see what speaks to your heart.
    ...See More

Carding Mill??? I don't think so!!! Anyone know what she is?

Q

Comments (8)
    I got Darcy and Carding Mill from Wayside. I already have Tess. My Darcy is pinkish red but not the same shade as Tess. Carding mill is def orange peach. They were selling lots of Darcy's toward the end of the sale so perhaps its Darcy? My Tess is own root and huge, 10ft but I keep cutting it back a little but it still grows right back.
    ...See More
  • shirlpp
    2 years ago

Shelves like that seem to be decorated with jars-n-stuff.

scout thanked shirlpp
  • localeater
    2 years ago

I think the shelf is very lovely. I admire the differences in the walnut tones and the craftsmanship of fingerjoints. As Fori explaned, if they had given you a solid walnut shelf of that length it would have warped. Instead they crafted a beautiful sold shelf of smaller pieces. I think the effort and intent are very in keeping with MCM aesthetic. I think you will grow to appreciate it more and more each day.

scout thanked localeater
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I would not consider a 'pieced shelf' solid walnut. The solid infers one piece in my mind. I do think the top is beautiful..not sure if anyone would ever really see it so the truth that it is different from all the other wood may not be a huge thing. I do think a solid trim piece across the front edge could hide the finger joints it could be attached with biscuit joinery so no nails shown. I would not want the current joints showing on a front/side edge.

scout thanked arcy_gw
  • V On The Lake
    2 years ago

Scout, could you share your countertop information, thickness and color? Is it a 2cm quartz countertop along the perimeter?

scout thanked V On The Lake
  • antmaril
    2 years ago

I like it. Your kitchen is beautiful!

scout thanked antmaril
  • just_janni
    2 years ago

I like it. It's truthful.

scout thanked just_janni
  • thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

Once it’s styled I think the overall effect will be nice. No under-shelf lighting? Maybe add a small table lamp off to the side as no lighting would bother me more than veneered vs what was delivered.

scout thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

A small Noguchi lamp would be perfect.

scout thanked thinkdesignlive
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I like it, too. As is. It has an interesting look and fits the room’s aesthetic. (I’ve always loved your house!)

Looks a bit stark right now because of so much bare space around it. I’d hang or lean art, like below, add other decor. Bottles, pottery, cutting boards, whatever you use or like looking at.

ETA:

I don’t know if this is feasible now, or if you like the idea, but I was thinking sconces would really enhance it, and make the whole space feel intentional.

scout thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

They shelf is fitting in a midcentury modern home. It would have been better if it had been a solid piece of walnut but since there were not drawings or specifications nor seemingly any discussion about it beforehand you kinda got what you got. Do you need more cabinetry for storage space? If so, it could be switched out for upper cabinets but am assuming that would be at your expense only. Otherwise, you could display midcentury glassware, ceramics, pottery, etc. that compliments your style. Good luck!

scout thanked Norwood Architects
  • catbuilder
    2 years ago

That looks like the butcher block slabs they sell at Home Depot. While the individual pieces of wood are solid, that is not what I would call a solid walnut shelf. The shelf should have been constructed of 2 or 3 pieces of wood, each the full length of the shelf, edge-glued together. No finger joints.

scout thanked catbuilder
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

As Norwood says you got what you paid for but maybe not what you were expecting- I would not want to look at those finger joints at eye level. In the grand scheme of things it will hardly be noticed when the kitchen is finished.

scout thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I have only seen finger joints in wood that was meant to be painted. But with the prices of wood lately, this may become a lasting trend. I bet you did not know you are a trend setter.

The finger joint do look like they have been very nicely executed.

Keep the dogs around and no one will care about the finger jointing.

scout thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • just_janni
    2 years ago

I like the finger joint work. I liken it to the honesty of the bent plywood aesthetic in MCM furniture design.

scout thanked just_janni
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Now that I re-look at some of the images, the clock fits in very nicely with the finger joints.

("fits in", did anyone catch that?)

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect Nice play on words! Agree the small clock sitting on shelf next to cute little birds does ”fit” in very well. It’s all in the details….

scout thanked KW PNW Z8
  • la_la Girl
    2 years ago

I think it looks fabulous and also love your cute doggo :)

I am a fan of contrast, so on wood I like bright sculptural ceramics, white paper mache bowls, vintage enamelware, etc. repeating in odd # patterns also looks curated - Finding a ceramicist that you love would be fun -

(We have a very long rough wood table in our DR and over time I have learned the best centerpieces provide a crisp contrast to the warm wood)

scout thanked la_la Girl
  • nicoletouk
    2 years ago

I don't like the shelf. You will have all of these solid Walnut fronts, and then this patchy shelf? Please no. I'm not excited about glass, however - I like the dark line above the dark cabinets. Can you get a shelf of solid walnut, or a veneer?

I love your kitchen! And the thin countertop is a nice touch. From the view out of the kitchen window, I'm guessing this is Palm Springs?

Nicole

scout thanked nicoletouk
  • Kate
    2 years ago

I agree that it is a lovely execution of finger joining, but not for your shelf. A solid walnut shelf would not warp because of how floating shelves are installed. Have them make a new one with boards glued length wise if needed for width. Could I live with it? Yes, if I had to, but it would grate on my over time in an otherwise beautiful kitchen.

scout thanked Kate
  • Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I'm inclined to think it looks too low and too lonely. My thoughts:

- Add a second, identical shelf above it.

- Or lean some tall art on the shelf to "lift the eye".

- Be sure to visually balance the two sides of the window. The window needs window covering too.

scout thanked Mrs Pete
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Reading responses made me think of something else I like about it — it’s different than the usual look. One shelf, not timber size, not trendy-looking … it’s streamlined with unique craftmanship.

From what I remember about your house, it’s very unique and personal. You have a great style and can make this look fab, if you’d like to keep it.

The backsplash will make such a difference, too.

scout thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    User
    2 years ago

I would not have expected that shelf style either. I see what you mean. I would have anticipated something more like this:

Yours is not bad, like you said, just different from expectations. It's worth mentioning to the builder.

As for what to put on the shelf, I would put beautiful dishware and glasses that are used often. When the items are in constant use, dust doesn't have a chance to settle.

scout thanked User
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@scout IMO the height of shelf is spot on..looks like it’s hung at point the bottom of a regular cabinet would be. I think any higher you’d be viewing bottom side of shelf & a skewed view of items placed on top of shelf. I like your shelf more with each new view of it. And, as apparant to me from Houzzer’s responses, there aren’t any hard fast rules one must follow for open shelving in a kitchen! I wonder if when you return home today, and after a second look, you’ll find yourself liking it. Seems like you had a preconceived notion of what it would look like & the reality didn’t fit.

Just have to say - WOW! about your dogs. Majestic. Of course I had to look up the breed & wow again - those flocks..I’d have guessed puli if I saw your pups in their natural coats only because I’m familiar with them.

scout thanked KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Nice kitchen. Do you have another kitchen where you cook?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@scout Just saw updated pics with items on it. I like! I am wanting to reach in there & turn the framed art 180 with the blue or heavier side of image on the bottom. Don’t know the plan for wall space above shelf but I think it needs something.. I do believe that not every space needs something in it but I think this space needs at least one taller item.

scout thanked KW PNW Z8
  • ci_lantro
    2 years ago

That shelf would never have seen the wall it was hung on because I hate, hate, hate finger jointing.

The paperwork just says ”cantilevered SOLID walnut shelf.”

The paperwork does not say 'cantilevered finger jointed butcher block solid walnut shelf'.

If you wanted butcher block, you would have specified 'butcher block'.

- I am wodering if it could be stained to be more consistent in color

Not really. It could be edge banded in solid walnut stock but it would still be butcher block. And butcher block doesn't fit in my vision of MCM.

scout thanked ci_lantro
  • vinmarks
    2 years ago

I don't mind that patchiness but the shelf looks too thin and I don't like the finger jointing showing in the front.

scout thanked vinmarks
  • lucky998877
    2 years ago

I like it! It's not what everyone else has. It looks just like my huge (and lovely) walnut cutting board, joints and all. I would welcome it at my house :)

scout thanked lucky998877
  • User
    2 years ago

I think the shelf is gorgeous and OMG, I LOVE YOUR HOUSE! Live with the shelf for a bit and see if it grows on you. personally I don't like open shelving in a kitchen, and would recommend something like the cabinets below -- with clear glass if you want to display items. and the things inside will stay dust free!

Or if you do keep the open shelf -- since you said it gets dusty in your area: decorate it sparsely, and use "quakehold museum putty" for the any of the small decorative objects -- it will hold them in place so when you run a duster around it they won't move. It makes that task way faster and easier.

I'm not suggesting to get cabinets that drop from the ceiling, but I was posting it mainly for the style. I love these sleek glass cabinets:

scout thanked User
  • bpath
    2 years ago

This is rockybird’s house, isn’t it! Where’s the Juhl credenza?

scout thanked bpath
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

That's the name! Rockybird. I could not remember it.

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

Love the shelf, love the kitchen, REALLY love the dogs!!!

If it were me, I would raise the picture of the dog so that the clock is centered in the space -- the picture looks too low to me.

scout thanked LH CO/FL
  • User
    2 years ago

bpath -- are you talking about the OP? Or the pics I posted (which I found on google).

I don't know Rockybird, but it sounds like I would have liked their stuff.

scout thanked User
  • Jennifer K
    2 years ago

Finger-jointed wood is not what I'd expect if I ordered solid wood. I would have expected long pieces of dimensional lumber biscuit joined on the long sides. That would have given you straight, continuous grain the length of the shelf on all sides. The top and bottom of the shelf might have shown differences between each board, but at worst (and only if they chose their boards indiscriminately) it would have been stripy, not patchy. Instead, they cheaped-out.

There are a few of solutions depending on how unhappy you are and what skills your carpenter has:

1. reorder, done properly
    2. reorder, as walnut plywood edge banded with solid walnut (this would be my choice since it's more dimensionally stable)
    3. veneer existing shelf top and bottom and edge band the front with solid walnut-- labour cost on this would probably be high and unless the shop had a proper veneer press, it probably wouldn't stay nice.
    4. edge-band existing shelf with solid walnut and leave the top and bottom alone.

Your kitchen will be beautiful. Don't let them install paint-grade, scrap lumber.

• scout
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you again for the great comments and advice! I spoke with the company that installed it and they reached out to the manufacturer. I also mentioned that maybe we could veneer over it or have it refinished when the island is refinished to match the new cabinet fronts when they arrive. I think I will find a way to make it work.

@KW PNW Z8 Thank you! The dogs are a lot of fun. I will not grow flocks or dreadlocks because it's so hot here and they are so active. But their fur mattes so easy that I really have to stay on top of the grooming! I agree the wall space needs something. I have some midcentury clocks that I will try to hang there. But, in a few months, I should have a white 1"x6" stacked white backsplash tile above and below the shelf.

@Mark Bischak, Architect LOL I don't cook. I'm ashamed to say that I have maybe used the oven once. :(

@User beautiful kitchens and thank you! I actually ordered similar cabinets for above the bar and pantry cabinets - horizontal walnut and glass cabinets. I think because the space is so narrow with the walkway and door, that the shelf might be best. I have a lot of mcm things, so it's a good place to display them. :)

@bpath they are happily settled in other rooms :) Now I have to figure out where to put the George Nelson css unit I got!

@Jennifer K thank you! very helpful! I mentioned some of this. It's good to know that this isnt the final product. I will let you know what we end up doing. :)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I had a client that wanted me to remodel and add onto a 1950's ranch home. The original oven was in mint condition, probably rarely use by the two different owners that owned the house over the years. In the same vein, I had another client that bought a $20,000.00 range to warm pizza in.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

"Sorry" posting something cute.

Pom Pom Flannel Fleece Throw Blanket, Baltic Blue, 50" X 60" · More Info

Tip Printing Light Faux Fur Throw, Blue Turquoise, 50"x60" · More Info

Pom Pom Flannel Fleece Throw Blanket, Candy Pink, 50" X 60" · More Info

Tip Printing Light Faux Fur Throw, Burnt Orange, 50"x60" · More Info

• Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, beautiful home, beautiful dogs!

scout thanked Amanda Smith
  • Ally De
    2 years ago

I love it. Truly.

I often have a picture in my mind of what I want. If the finished result is different, my initial reaction is often that I don't like it. I have learned to live with it for awhile, and it's not uncommon for me to end up liking something over time.

This is a pretty discerning bunch, and also not at all shy about saying something looks bad. Sometimes a little too quick to harsh people's happiness, often over subjective things. When the majority of the people are saying it looks fabulous, that is telling you something. LOL.

However the sole opinion which matters is yours.

scout thanked Ally De
  • ci_lantro
    2 years ago

What if the cabinet door & drawer fronts had the same horrific grain matching that is on the shelf? Image a blonde walnut drawer over a dark walnut drawer over a not so blonde walnut drawer. Imagine a stripey, mismatched island front. Then the patchwork shelf would fit in but I would be one very unhappy camper.

scout thanked ci_lantro
  • bry911
    2 years ago

I don't mind it, but I would never dream of trying to pass off butcherblock as solid walnut to a customer. Good pieces of Walnut are not that rare. I always have several 8/4 x 12" wide boards in my shop at any time and there are half a dozen local sources for Walnut boards that size in my local area.

scout thanked bry911
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Starting to think ci_lantro doesn’t like your shelf.

scout thanked Jilly
  • scout
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bry911 Thank you. The company owner told me he is checking with the manufacturer..not sure what that means, but I'm pretty sure he will make it right. Because of how it was installed, he said it had to be crafted of smaller pieces to avoid warping with a larger board.

@ci_lantro These are good points. This company did my master bath (walnut), butler pantry (walnut), laundry, and two other bathrooms. This walnut shelf is really out of keeping with what I have seen from them. They do million dollar cabinet jobs on kitchens. I'm not too worried about the walnut door replacements, as he said they will match what I already have (fingers crossed!).

@Ally De thanks! I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with the finger joints and variation. It's just not what I was expecting. That being said, I'm getting used to having a shelf in the space and I think the height is okay. This weekend I'll try to hang things above it and decorate better, so maybe that will help.

• User
    2 years ago

If you end up getting a new shelf and price is a limitation, walnut veneer is your friend. You would be able to get a beautiful walnut shelf that looks like it was made with a single long piece. (and sell the original one-- I bet you could get something back for it, good wood is so expensive!)

• jayapple21
    2 years ago

Because it is a 'lone board on a white wall' - and away from your other cabinetry - my first thought was that it appears to be a planned part of a beautifully crafted art configuration for an empty wall. I like the uniqueness of it. If it were near or next to other solid boards, then I would feel a discomfort about the 'odd one' but standing alone, it carries its own merit and becomes a perfect base for whatever delightful eye-catching items you decide to place upon it. Think of it as an art piece and not as a misunderstanding and I bet you will find that you soon really like it.

• bry911
    2 years ago

@scout - Because of how it was installed, he said it had to be crafted of smaller pieces to avoid warping with a larger board.

Your contractor is feeding you a line. Well, he may just not know and so could be repeating an uninformed opinion, but this is not really true.

First, wood is incredibly stable longitudinally, there is never really a reason to use shorter boards. In some woods and some thicknesses, wide boards can become problematic and so you orient different boards to work against each other. Typically, you will get boards that work /stain well together. A good hardwood lumber mill is going to mark their boards by tree and cut, so you can grab several boards that work well together and use those and the woods will blend nearly seamlessly.

Additionally, Walnut is incredibly stable after a couple of weeks. Most Walnut you see is steamed, this evens the color of the wood but it also supersaturates it with moisture. It takes a LONG time to completely dry and so Walnut tends to twist when you resaw it or plane a lot off. This is because the inner parts of the wood are generally a month or two behind the outer layers in drying. This warping will typically happen overnight, but it is good to give Walnut a week or two before you really start using it. You can stop it from warping if you have the time, or just grab a piece of s4s that is close to your final thickness and is flat. A piece of 1.5" Walnut is not going to have much seasonal movement when installed in a home.

scout thanked bry911
  • K Laurence
    2 years ago

I like it , more interesting than others I’ve seen. But I like different rather than generic.

scout thanked K Laurence
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio