I'll show you mine/you show me yours - M 5/2/22

Show me your somethings:

M - something old

T - something new

W - something made locally

Th - something made from afar

F - something you made

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

--------------------------

I'm including our friends in Home Dec Convo as I thought this theme is one in which they'd like to play along.

Comments (39)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

A piece by EAS Douglas called "Alderney" which is the type of cow in the picture. It was in the basement of the house I grew up in and was damaged with some water stains, but DH wanted to keep it so I had it reframed. The newspaper behind the work in the frame was dated 1884 so we know it is at least that old. I have no idea if it's a print, a lithograph or what. But he likes it, having worked on a dairy farm as a kid...

• Elizabeth
    last year
    last modified: last year

More than 40 years ago I went to a yard sale and bought this pitcher for $2. It was very dusty and dirty but chip free. Tiffany and Co. Not very valuable but I love the shape.

• jmm1837
    last year

A dish for calling cards - a wedding present to my grandparents in 1915

• arcy_gw
    last year

Found under a bramble of vines and weeds a day after we moved into the home. No idea it's provenance.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Large Champleve vase that belonged to my grandmother. I had no idea how it was made or the material until I posted it here on the Antiques forum years ago (2010 actually) and Sweeby identified it for me.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

My brother's desk from the early '70s, he did his homework at it when he was a child, my mother's bird collection, my grandmother's ceramics, a painting my mother did when she was a child in the '40s.

• kathy_t
    last year

Elizabeth - I also love your pitcher. Great find!

• nicole___
    last year

Prints of old art work.

• Sueb20
    last year

Old bottle found under our porch during construction of new porch (house built in 1900); owls from my late mother’s collection; a box that my dad bought abroad for his sister when he was in the army, now full of old photos. That’s a lotta ”old” in one little corner.

• eld6161
    last year

One of DD’s from India. This lovely older woman doing a demonstration..

• User
    last year

This is my grandad’s certificate from when he became a doctor. It’s still in the original mailing tube. And below that is a set of horse brasses that he once recieved as payment from a patient in West Bromwich in 1936.

• Lars
    last year

Doorstop, cast in German by a friend of my great grandparents, who brought this with them when they immigrated.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    last year

An old Hoosier that's been rebuilt...I only wish that I had a "before" pic...

• heatheron40
    last year

Our house long before we bought it ;^)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Lars, that's something. Can you imagine carrying something that heavy all that way. Certainly a labor of love.

• Oakley
    last year

My late grandmother had this 1940's advertising doll, Buttons, from Dan River Mills, Danville, VA. The story is Buttons got caught in one of the fabric machines. I remember Dan River sheets, that's all mom bought since she was from Danville. They're no longer in business.

Buttons...my dog Dolly kind of chewed her a bit.

• LynnNM
    last year

An 8,000 - 10,000 year old spearhead my brother found on his property in Indiana, and gave to me. A very old tree on his property fell over after an unusually long rainy Spring. As he was digging it out, he found this spearhead down among the roots. I had it appraised by a museum known for such artifacts and they gave me this information. I had it framed and it hangs in my front foyer

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

The Alderney picture is interesting. It is not just a breed of cow. It’s the name of the Channel Island where the breed originated. Guernsey and Jersey are also cows and Channel Islands. The Islands once belonged to France and I see the woman is wearing typical sabots. She is carrying a large type of kale known as Jersey cabbage or walking stick cabbage.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

12th Century castle in Newcastle.

• localeater
    last year

Small brass pot, my dh’s great grandparents parents brought with them when they vame to this country.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the info, floral-uk! I've looked up the artist and his prints are still available, but most of them are hunt scenes with the beagles and horses and red coats. I did see something that a piece like this had come up for auction, but it didn't sell for much....no found treaure here for me.

• wildchild2x2
    last year

This is a Governess Cart. They were designed for transporting children more safely. The entry was in the rear to keep children away from the wheels and the horses.

• teeda
    last year

My great-grandmother’s high chair. She was born in 1878 in Massachusetts. I have some very early memories of her.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

My Dad connected Cloisonne (and LLadro, and rare stamps, and coins, and rocks LOL and I am probably forgetting something.)

This one, an antique, was always a favorite. It is a bit too tippy though and I never have used it. I'm gonna get my museum putty and right that.

• Bunny
    last year

This is Titania. She was a wedding present to my grandparents who were married in 1907.

• Oakley
    last year

Mtn, last week I was looking for my museum putty and couldn't find it and I about freaked out. It was in the junk drawer under stuff and not in the basket where it belonged!

• bac717
    last year

A vase that belonged to my grandmother who was born in 1891. I took it to Antiques Road show about 10 years and was given another name for this piece, but have forgotten what they called it.

• jrb451
    last year

The Palace Saloon, Florida's oldest bar, Fernandina Beach.

• katlan
    last year

My dad's solid brass stamp dispenser from his office desk. He put rolls of 100 stamps in it.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    last year

I took a picture of the picture my mom took of my dad. She had a Brownie camera and took most of the family pictures. This picture was taken before they were married so it would have been the late 1920's. He was a snappy dresser!! :) I have no idea what caused the middle to be washed out. Maybe it happened in processing back then?

• texanjana
    last year

Tailor in Egypt

• roy4me
    last year

Limoge China belonged to my husband's grandma.

My husband is 90.

• cawaps
    last year

This isn't terribly photogenic, but it's a handmade puzzle that came to California on a covered wagon, probably in the 1870s or 80s (as my dad told it, "after they built the intercontinental railroad"). The masking tape on the handle was a 1980s addition

It takes about 1/2 hour to get the wire loop free of all the rings, and another 1/2 hour to put it back together again. Each ring takes exponentially more time to get off than the previous one.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

How interesting; is there a name for it.

• chloebud
    last year

Not the best pic but an antique bronze urn we have from my mother-in-law.

• jakabedy
    last year

Some of my 1939 New York World's Fair collection. There's something about the idea of what the future looked like in 1939, the year my parents were born, that has always appealed to me. (Note to self: polish that one on the lower left).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

what a cool idea, Jakabedy! DId they have a similar interest?

• jakabedy
    last year

@mtnrdredux_gw my parents aren’t collectors at all. I saw a documentary on the 1939 NYWF years ago as a young adult — probably about the same time I saw the wonderful Terry Gilliam film ”Brazil” and have been a sucker for vintage futurism ever since. The fact that the Fair started the year my parents were born is just a nice little bonus connection.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert