SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountainjuls

I have 6' of space-how much space for sink cabinet, nail counter?

mountainjuls
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

We are building our forever home. I am working on how I want my vanity area laid out well before I meet with cabinet builders. I have 6' of space on "my" side of the bathroom that I figured I would devote to a sink cabinet and makeup counter. I don't wear much makeup on a regular basis, but do like to do a full face for certain functions. I have always stood for makeup and hairstyling because that is the setup I've had. Maybe I'll end up really liking it for those functions? Mostly though, this will be a nail counter. I do my own artificial nails, and I'm really looking forward to not having that mess all over the kitchen counters!

On DH side, we have planned for a 4' vanity, so with my 6' of space, I am looking for guidance in how to portion out the 6' of space that I have to work with. I am including a snapshot of our bathroom.

I am going round and round in my head trying to figure out...

1) Should my sink portion be on the end by the doorway, or on the corner side? My first thought is to have the sink on the end so it more matches the position of DH vanity on the other side of the doorway. Which brings me to my next question...

2) Should my sink vanity portion be the same width as DH's? If so, that leaves 24" for my makeup counter area. That seems maybe a bit tight, so probably 30" is better, with a 42" sink cabinet. I do love symmetry and would like the look better if the sink vanity was on the end like DH's. But would it look off if both sink vanities are on either side of the doorway but one is a slightly different size?

3) Should the makeup counter be dropped to 30", and would it depend more on if it is on the end or corner dictate that? I've seen various pros and cons about this and it seems to boil down to personal preferences. One aspect I have not seen is the mobility aspect. I'm in my 40's and hope to have mobility into my later years. However, we are trying to incorporate many age in place features since this is our last home. If makeup vanity is dropped to 30", having it on the end would be better for mobility aids rather than the corner. However, if I'm not mobile, will I really be doing my own nails, hair, and makeup?

4) If a lower area for the makup counter, then I would cover the countertop(granite?) with glass, which is my preferred material for working with nail polishes, acetone, and abrasive acrylic powders. Heck, I'm a messy person, so it would help to not have to worry about dropped mascara and eyeliner either!

Thanks!

Juls

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz