SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonestar33

Exterior Facelift

C B
last year

Hi all we are considering painting our home.
We actually quite like the reddish brick, however, realize it could be updated.

The bottom storey is brick and the 2nd storey is wood panelling.
Would it look weird to have the two differwnt materials painted the same color?

We are considering painting the house white, however the windows are a cream color. Im not sure is this would look off?
We like the black front door and want to keep the shutters, considering paiting the shutters a dark green as opposed to the typical black and white.

Finally we would are considering putting up a white picket fence too. Keen to get some thoughts and opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (30)

• jck910
    last year

I think your house looks great as is. I would not paint it pure white I would match the window trim. I also would not paint the brick. I had BM Essex Green doors and shutters. It's a very dark green

• palimpsest
    last year
    last modified: last year

I really like the current combination. You could try a different shutter (like the darker green) and door color first.

• Related Discussions

Help with exterior facelift, change bow window? Paint and trim color

Q

Comments (3)
    Yep I'd recommend getting rid of the bow window. Very pleasant house. I like the sage with the brick, but charcoal gray is also and option for your trim.
    ...See More

Exterior facelift

Q

Comments (9)
    First get rid of all the shutters this style of window should not have them.Take a picture showing the actual front of the house please I love the brick and IMO not a weird color at all but a nice clean looking brick. IMO painting the brick will instantly devalue the house so I would work with it. I have no idea what you mean by modernizing IMO you have a MCM house that needs some TLC to get looking good.The first thing is to redo the landscaping and I would start with just painting the disding a darker color to go with the brick. White would not be my choice for sure.These are great examples of embracing the brick instaed of painting it which BTW adds a whole other level of upkeep. And the landscaping pic is one of my faves for MCM use it as inpiration for your home
    ...See More

Help with exterior facelift

Q

Comments (3)
    The shrubs are taking over your home. Keep them below the height of your window sills.
    ...See More

Exterior Facelift Needed

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you! We love this piece of property and are slowly making this house a home. We have moved walls and finalized interior layout… are now upgrading bathrooms, laying flooring/ painting room by room. We have partly demoed kitchen to open up floor plan and will be tackling the full remodel next after primary bathroom is finalized (tile was just completed Friday. Yay!) We like a transitional style. Also appreciate a few farmhouse elements. We are in rural South Carolina on 20 acres. I’ll gladly take pictures in brighter light tomorrow.
    ...See More
  • C B
    Original Author
    last year

Other suggestions have been as follows:

• chloebud
    last year

The current gray/green on the upper is great. A much deeper/darker shade for the shutters and door that blends would be nice. Nice house!

• K Laurence
    last year

Leave the brick alone ! I like your house and agree with some of the suggestions above. The last two photos make it look top heavy, not good.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

you could go for a creamier white and a darker tone that isn't as harsh as black for the shutters and door.

slightly diff door (with more glass) in a deep navy. new lights.

I do like the painted brick and dark option, but those railings would need to be changed to something less heavy looking.

see the railing on this porch? You could do something like that w/the darker charcoal siding color. looks nice w/the brick

or, if you did everything white

wood railing.

You could do for that french type of vibe. how about a mortar schmear w/the french blue shutter and door colors? of course the balcony railing would need to be redone. Copper accents.

here's another example. either limewash or schmear the brick, navy on the door/shutters, or even a smokey charcoal would be nice. (and would also work w/the cream windows) think about updating the porch area

can't find an exact match to your house, but here's a bottom brick that was done w/Romabio limewash, the siding in BM Seapearl, and white trim.

just a rough photoshop.

here's a few similar homes like yours

have you thought about doing a porch extension, like this?

I really like this one and think you could apply this to yours. see how you could carry the porch under your balcony walk out?

I also like how they did the board and batten instead of the regular siding. Shutter hardware, diff posts, creamy brick color, slate hardscape. really brightens up the entire home.

again, change out the reg siding to board and batten, paint a soft taupe shade, extend the porch over to the left. try Urbane Bronze on the shutters/door. think about coloring your walkway. add some natural wood to your balcony railing.

brick/siding same color.

• partim
    last year

Is your house brick only on the front façade or all the way around on the main floor?

• palimpsest
    last year

Here is a different green on the shutters+ door

• C B
    Original Author
    last year

@partim it is brick all the way around.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I just came across this one that you could utilize. Did you happen to see all the pics I posted above in my comment? I spoke about the railing.

this is what I meant, along w/the wood accents.

and if you redid the brick in white, it would be similar to this, along w/the extended porch, which I also spoke about.

you never commented on anything so not sure if you saw it, or just hated all of it!

• User
    last year

No matter what you choose, I think your balcony railing needs to be a different color than your siding. The way it blends in right now looks odd to me.

I like the first mockup you posted -- white with black railing and wood posts. I also really like Beth's white and grey inspo pic above.

• terrib962
    last year

As much as I also like red brick, since the upper floor is not brick, paint the brick and the upper the same off-white color or one shade different from each other in off-white. The rule of thumb for shutters is they look really cheapo unless they are 1/2 the width of the windows as if they could be real and used/closed - looks like yours are that wide. There was a house almost like yours repainted in recent issue of BHG or So. Living and they painted entire house light color - can try to find article if you message me.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    last year

Do not paint the brick. I did and we have paint chipped by the mower. LOVE your house the way it is. the shutters and door would be the only colors I would change.

• RAN
    last year

Keep the brick and black. Paint the upper floor a soft gray-green sage color. Complementary color to reddish brick.

• C B
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Terrib962, if you could send me the links to the articles I would really appreciate it.

Regardw

• Judy Hendrickson
    last year

I think it looks great the way it is, except you could add some color to the fascia and to the railing and columns. That would give you a fun facelift. I would avoid painting the brick and seriously run from the current trend of painting it black.

• ej2000
    last year

Your house style is Monterey Colonial. It is fairly common for those to have brick on the first floor facade, even here in CA where this style originated. I quite like the paint scheme you have now; it perfectly complements the brick. If you want to go more authentic Monterey, the top floor could be painted an off-white/sand/beige color.

Houzz article on this style: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/roots-of-style-colonial-monterey-sets-the-stage-for-unique-design-stsetivw-vs~15003558

Pics:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Here are more Monterey Colonials for you to view. I think your home would look better with a light color on the second floor. Additionally, the landscaping really needs a complete remodel.

• C B
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all so much. Some great ideas

• hollywaterfall
    last year

I like the bottom brick and then I also like the 2nd picture you posted (in the group of 4 above) with the white painted wood 2nd floor w black accents. Wonder if you could mock that up to see the final results?

• coray
    last year

Beth H has a some great examples! I don’t think it’s helpful to tell someone “oh, we like it as is, don’t change it” when they want to make changes….I’m sure the OP has thought about this long and hard.

• palimpsest
    last year

Oh, I don't think I am being unhelpful At All, if I tell them they have a perfectly handsome house as it is, when they do. Particularly if I think they are looking at trendy things that won't make the house look better, just different.

• nanitamalia
    last year

I’m fortunate that my paint colors consultant friend steers me away from hot-for-a-minute trend colors to ones that will have more longevity. (Whew! I avoided the lime green kitchen!)

The strong black trim and shutters read to me as too on-trend, and a little too strong/top heavy. A slightly less contrasty combo might be better. A lighter green would play well with the brick color… Like the green of this door…

https://pin.it/2hR6n0C

• simplynatural
    last year

Maybe either paint the existing railings black to match the door and shutters, or replace them with black metal railings that would have a slimmer profile? As the new landscaping grows, it will also help to balance the visual dominance of the second floor.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

This one is beautiful. I'd do the brick and the upper portion in a white , paint railing, add some flowers.

• ceesullivan
    last year

I think the current color does a good job of matching the roof color. I would wait until I replaced the roof using a darker color before I went with darker paint on the upper. And I would take a careful look at any color change in terms of complimenting the brick.

• Sharma
    last year

Sorry, but I've never understood why owners would take an item that requires very little maintenance (brick) and paint it, making it something that will require maintenance more often. The original poster commented that they have a fondness for the their brick on the house, and it goes all the way around the first floor. So much more labor intensive to change all the brick than just on the front of the house. My first thought when I looked at the original posting was that I'd change the railing on the second level to a black iron railing that blends with the other accents of the house and is less obtrusive to the second floor sitting area. Someone else also suggested this change of the railing. Personally I like the current paint color of the second floor. But maybe instead of black as an accent color, try charcoal or a deep bronze or even a navy blue. I think someone suggested SW Iron Ore or SW Urbane Bronze.

• Becky Donahue
    last year

II would suggest staining the brick if you want to change it. I did this on a renovation for my sister and she has had no extra maintenance for the last 3 years. She gets lots of compliments on it. I’ve added before and after pics.

• Sharma
    last year

Hi Becky. I can see why your sister receives compliments on her house...it's beautiful. And while I would still be hesitant to paint/stain brick, it really makes a BIG difference on this style of house. Of course, there were several others things changed that added curb appeal as well, i.e., roof shingles (unless it's just the difference in seasons and reflection of the sun it appears there's new roof shingles), dark guttering/downspouts, removal of shutters, removal of colonial trim above the front door, new front door, new light fixture at front entrance, removal of black wrought iron stair railings, and the change of porch supports to natural wood...which I love. Not to mention a new sidewalk and new landscaping. All the changes make for a very impressive-looking house!