SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariachristinar

quartzite countertop fabrication questions before install

mariachristinar
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello and thank you for your time. We are considering a kitchen remodel to include new countertops for our perimeter wall (with sink), island (with cooktop and step up) and bar (with sink). I am trying to prepare for the project and have asked our fabicator several questions. We hired a company to reface our kitchen cabinets and they coordinating the kitchen remodel and chose the fabricator. The questions we already asked are listed below along with the reponses from our fabricator.

Is there anything else I should consider asking the fabricator?

1) Do you have advice when choosing between Taj Mahal, Perla Venata Light and Cristallo quartzite? Is one more durable or easier to fabricate, install and maintain?

Answer: The Taj mahal and Perla Venata are the same in nature and fabricate the same. The Cristallo is harder but we have no issues fabricating it.

2) Do we purchase the slabs from Umi or Omicron and have them delivered to you? Or can you provide us with slabs from your inventory? Do we get to hand select our slabs?

Answer: We would purchase the slabs from the supplier. You can make arrangements with the supplier to select slabs. They may only offer a few to select from and not the entire bundle. The slabs are cut consecutively and the color/pattern is pretty consistent. So if there is something you dislike in the first one or two it would probably be in all of them.

3) Would you be able to help us test the slabs to ensure they are true quartzite and not mislabeled? I read you can do tests.

Answer: We do not test the slab. The selections you have made are true quartzites and we have confidence in the materials UMI and Omicron (or any of the suppliers) provide.

Hardness: glass tile

Acid Sensitivity: lemon juice

Porosity: water

https://usenaturalstone.org/how-to-be-your-own-stone-sleuth/

4) Do you use Slabsmith technology so we can view a digital copy of the finished tops, seams and movement before anything is cut?

Answer: We offer a digital rendering after we template for your approval, showing seam locations and veining.

5) Have you worked with a lot of quartzite? Is it more challenging to get a mitered edge without chipping?

Answer: We fabricate quartzite all the time, just about every day.

6) What type of sealer do you recommend? Do you seal the underside and edges as well to avoid a potential for silicone bleed?

Answer: We will seal your countertops with a 15 yr sealer by Dry Treat.

7) Do you use a non staining adhesive? I've read reviews of people having issues with "bleed" or staining that looks like water marks.

Answer: We do not have this issue.

Comments (2)