SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

A singular event: I planted a rose

Rosefolly
last year
last modified: last year

I've gone from about 150 roses to about 3 dozen (I counted). Mostly it has been because of drought, but wanting less garden work was also part of it. I'm actually not working any less in my garden these days, but it looks better for my efforts, which is very rewarding. The front garden is still full of tradional flowes and roses, and the back fence has roses climbing each panel of a long section. Other than that, the back garden is California natives and fruit trees.

I do still love my roses though.

Sometime in the past couple of years I bought 'Nearly Wild' from Annie's Annuals and planted it in the front garden. It is doing well, so far staying smallish, which I actually want it to do. A few months ago Vintage had a rose sale and I was fortunate enough to get "Schmidt's Smooth Yellow" which comes from Jackie's wonderful heirloom garden. I kept it in a larger pot for a while, and today I planted it, Here it is:

It is looking a little yellowish, possibly weather? but I added some fertilizer and I think it will do well. The soil there is very nice. Behind it left to right are 'Lamarque', Hibiscus syriacus 'Diana', and 'Climbing Lady Hillingdon'; and next layer down, some fading paperwhite narcissicus, peony 'Festiva Maxima' and Salvia nemerosa 'Carradonna'; at the base, sedum 'Dr. John Creech'. Everything there is white, yellow, or in the case of the salvia, deep blue-purple. I don't always plan my colors so carefully as this, but I expect to be very pleased with this little corner.

Comments (9)